Keypad door lock, part 2

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Got the new Schlage keypad door lock. Hubs installed it today and moved the old one over to our door.
So far so good. It has the lever on it, which I think will be easier for guests to figure out. The locking mechanism also seems stronger than the original one. Even tho we changed out the batteries on the old one, this one seems to lock more forcefully, if that makes sense.
It looks just like the other one, only it has a lever.
We'll see how it works out.

What's the brand on that?.
Schlage. Hubs got it from SmartHome. They sent a catalog. Lots of good stuff, including something I think Riki needed...a 3-way CFL bulb. 2 different models.

Schlage. Hubs got it from SmartHome. They sent a catalog. Lots of good stuff, including something I think Riki needed...a 3-way CFL bulb. 2 different models.
OOh good I'll take a look at it. We need to install a couple of those door locks too.
Riki
We installed the Schlage keypad door lock on our cottage with the auto lock feature. It has a lever. Very smart move. Easier to open the door for me when I'm carrying stuff and ditto for the guests. It also was one of the few door locks that would last on a thicker old door! The Schlage keypad on our house is the deadbolt variety & doesn't auto lock, but you can push one button and turn it counter clockwise to lock...no need to put in the code to lock it. My dh researched this quite a bit & liked their warranty and features combined. They were also relatively easy to install...except for drilling holes into 100 year old doors! :-(

OOh good I'll take a look at it. We need to install a couple of those door locks too.
Riki
We installed the Schlage keypad door lock on our cottage with the auto lock feature. It has a lever. Very smart move. Easier to open the door for me when I'm carrying stuff and ditto for the guests. It also was one of the few door locks that would last on a thicker old door! The Schlage keypad on our house is the deadbolt variety & doesn't auto lock, but you can push one button and turn it counter clockwise to lock...no need to put in the code to lock it. My dh researched this quite a bit & liked their warranty and features combined. They were also relatively easy to install...except for drilling holes into 100 year old doors! :-(
We put the old one on our door and it has the 'unlocked all the time' feature. It's a setting inside. You have to hit the 'lock' button or turn the doohickey on the knob to lock it. Works well for just running in and out of the house all day. But, doesn't solve the problem then of guests wandering in because they don't want to walk up the stairs...I thought that was what the dog was for but she has other ideas...

Riki
We put the old one on our door and it has the 'unlocked all the time' feature. It's a setting inside. You have to hit the 'lock' button or turn the doohickey on the knob to lock it. Works well for just running in and out of the house all day. But, doesn't solve the problem then of guests wandering in because they don't want to walk up the stairs...I thought that was what the dog was for but she has other ideas...
Except for when guests are schlepping their stuff inside in our main house, they've been very good about consistently locking the door on the Main House. But it could have something to do with what I say when they ask, "Do I need to lock this every time I leave?" or "Do you ever leave the door unlocked?" Me: "No, I lock the door at all times for the privacy and safety of our guests. We're an urban inn and there is foot traffic and regular vehicular traffic." End of discussion...

"Do I need to lock this every time I leave?" or "Do you ever leave the door unlocked?" Me: "No, I lock the door at all times for the privacy and safety of our guests. We're an urban inn and there is foot traffic and regular vehicular traffic." End of discussion...
Kinda the point of having it. WHy a guest thinks it should remain WIDE OPEN with the a/c going in beyond me. It happens tho. The only time our front door is open is when guests are on the porch with their morning coffee and IF it is reasonable weather.
Remember the story of the phonebook salesman who sat with his cup of coffee and thought it was the greatest receeption he had ever had at a business! (That was with the front door open.)

Riki
Except for when guests are schlepping their stuff inside in our main house, they've been very good about consistently locking the door on the Main House. But it could have something to do with what I say when they ask, "Do I need to lock this every time I leave?" or "Do you ever leave the door unlocked?" Me: "No, I lock the door at all times for the privacy and safety of our guests. We're an urban inn and there is foot traffic and regular vehicular traffic." End of discussion...
And yet I get something of the opposite response when guests find the door locked...'Do you HAVE to keep the doors locked around HERE?' Sort of incredulous looks.
So what we're finding now is the door is just left wide open or propped open with the floor mat. The keys were too hard to figure out, now the combo is too difficult to manage. Another 'note' needed...'A/C is on, please shut door.'
So, maybe I should just have the door set to 'unlocked' all day and then we hit the lock button when we shut the lights off for the night. Except then I'm back to guests trying to check-in at noon and the door is unlocked.

Riki
And yet I get something of the opposite response when guests find the door locked...'Do you HAVE to keep the doors locked around HERE?' Sort of incredulous looks.
So what we're finding now is the door is just left wide open or propped open with the floor mat. The keys were too hard to figure out, now the combo is too difficult to manage. Another 'note' needed...'A/C is on, please shut door.'
So, maybe I should just have the door set to 'unlocked' all day and then we hit the lock button when we shut the lights off for the night. Except then I'm back to guests trying to check-in at noon and the door is unlocked.
I tell guests "it keeps people from just walking in" and that even though we're a business we're also a home. The door usually gets shut, but often isn't locked. People forget that after they push the button they have to swing the lock. I've forgotten that myself at least once. We never locked the doors before we opened, so it's no biggie, I just swing the lock. As far as being open... the ds4x2 leave the side and back door open (dh gets mad), and the contractor leaves the door open, and sometimes even I leave it open, so the guests are actually doing the best of all of us.
=) Kk.

Riki
Would leaving it unlocked at just high traffic times like the hour or so leading up to check out time help? Check in time is harder to nail down.

Back