Keypad entry codes

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you up and going with these new locks yet? Would like to know if it was a good choice to make, or just another thing to have to deal with during the day. Let us know! Thanks!.
Bob said:
Are you up and going with these new locks yet? Would like to know if it was a good choice to make, or just another thing to have to deal with during the day. Let us know! Thanks!
No, we're still about 7 months from opening the guesthouse. We've had the Schlage keypad locks for years, and they have worked flawlessly, but they aren't the remotely programmable ones.
I'm thinking being able to create and delete guest's entry codes from the comfort of my computer will be a lot easier than having to go reprogram them directly at the doors, or using keys that get lost, stolen, left in the room, etc.
It will be about a year before I can really report on the remote control ones, but I'm optimistic.

I noticed at a hotel the other day that the maid was throwing away the plastic key cards from the rooms. I guess I thought they reprogrammed them or something.

I noticed at a hotel the other day that the maid was throwing away the plastic key cards from the rooms. I guess I thought they reprogrammed them or something..
Joey Bloggs said:
I noticed at a hotel the other day that the maid was throwing away the plastic key cards from the rooms. I guess I thought they reprogrammed them or something.
The hotel I work at has the plastic key cards, and they get reprogrammed. If the guest doesn't return the key at the end of their stay they are charged $2.00 (which they are told when checking in).

I noticed at a hotel the other day that the maid was throwing away the plastic key cards from the rooms. I guess I thought they reprogrammed them or something..
Joey Bloggs said:
The hotel I work at has the plastic key cards, and they get reprogrammed. If the guest doesn't return the key at the end of their stay they are charged $2.00 (which they are told when checking in).
Olga said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I have seen that at previous hotels, that is why I thought it strange. It was the ra ddi s son. Or the maid was just throwing them away. The trash was definately trash on the cart that she kept tossing them into, food and other rubbish in there.

I finally got the Schlage/Nexia remotely programmable keypad door locks today, and it's even better than I expected! I knew I'd be able to remotely (from my iPhone or any computer) add and delete 4-digit door entry codes, and that works great. It will hold up to 19 different codes, so each housekeeper can be assigned her/his own code. When she/he leaves employment with me I just delete that one person's code and everybody else continues to use the code they already use. Plenty of room to add codes for different guests.
But what I didn't know is that it lets you set up an advance schedule for activating/deactivating codes, so I can set it all up in advance and forget it!
Example: Mrs. Gotrocks books "Room G" for arrival December 2 and departure December 5. Check-in time will be 3 p.m. and check-out is 11 a.m. I'm going to give her the code 8446.
From my computer, today, I can click "Add Schedule" in the Nexia app (on the Room G tab) and up comes a blank schedule to fill in. I type Mrs. Gotrocks to identify the schedule, and set code 8446 to work from 3 p.m. December 2 to 11:30 a.m. December 5 (I give them an extra 30 minutes to get out of the room, but I don't tell them that). Then click "Save" and I'm done! I can forget about it. The software will transmit the new code to the door lock at 3 p.m. on Dec. 2 and delete that code automatically on Dec. 5 at 11:30!
I've already done a lot of testing (playing) with it and it's flawless! Also, I've tested the notifications feature and that works perfectly too. I can set it to notify me by e-mail and/or text message to my phone when Mrs. Gotrocks arrives and enters code 8446, so I know she's there. Then I can leave the notifications on and know every time she arrives, or I can switch notifications off because I really don't care when she returns. But I know the first time she arrives so I can pop in and welcome her, get paperwork signed, whatever.
Couldn't be happier!!

I finally got the Schlage/Nexia remotely programmable keypad door locks today, and it's even better than I expected! I knew I'd be able to remotely (from my iPhone or any computer) add and delete 4-digit door entry codes, and that works great. It will hold up to 19 different codes, so each housekeeper can be assigned her/his own code. When she/he leaves employment with me I just delete that one person's code and everybody else continues to use the code they already use. Plenty of room to add codes for different guests.
But what I didn't know is that it lets you set up an advance schedule for activating/deactivating codes, so I can set it all up in advance and forget it!
Example: Mrs. Gotrocks books "Room G" for arrival December 2 and departure December 5. Check-in time will be 3 p.m. and check-out is 11 a.m. I'm going to give her the code 8446.
From my computer, today, I can click "Add Schedule" in the Nexia app (on the Room G tab) and up comes a blank schedule to fill in. I type Mrs. Gotrocks to identify the schedule, and set code 8446 to work from 3 p.m. December 2 to 11:30 a.m. December 5 (I give them an extra 30 minutes to get out of the room, but I don't tell them that). Then click "Save" and I'm done! I can forget about it. The software will transmit the new code to the door lock at 3 p.m. on Dec. 2 and delete that code automatically on Dec. 5 at 11:30!
I've already done a lot of testing (playing) with it and it's flawless! Also, I've tested the notifications feature and that works perfectly too. I can set it to notify me by e-mail and/or text message to my phone when Mrs. Gotrocks arrives and enters code 8446, so I know she's there. Then I can leave the notifications on and know every time she arrives, or I can switch notifications off because I really don't care when she returns. But I know the first time she arrives so I can pop in and welcome her, get paperwork signed, whatever.
Couldn't be happier!!.
I love this model. I don't have it but I love it! I have to manually change the codes but I've been doing it for a year now and it hasn't been TOO much of a problem.

Couldn't be happier!!.
Arkansawyer said:
Couldn't be happier!!
Do you have to pay a fee per month, per lock for that?

Couldn't be happier!!.
Arkansawyer said:
Couldn't be happier!!
Bob said:
Yes, there's a fee to use their online service. You pay about $9.50/month, or can pay $95 up front for the year and get 2 months free.
In my case, with a vacation rental where I'm not there when the guests arrive, it's well worth the monthly fee!

Couldn't be happier!!.
Arkansawyer said:
Couldn't be happier!!
Bob said:
Yes, there's a fee to use their online service. You pay about $9.50/month, or can pay $95 up front for the year and get 2 months free.
In my case, with a vacation rental where I'm not there when the guests arrive, it's well worth the monthly fee!
Arkansawyer said:
Bob said:
I have 7 suites. That would be a big expense. If I was in your position, I would do it for sure!

Couldn't be happier!!.
Arkansawyer said:
Couldn't be happier!!
Bob said:
Arkansawyer said:
Bob said:
I have 7 suites. That would be a big expense. If I was in your position, I would do it for sure!
Bob said:
Just to be clear, it's $9.50/month total, not $9.50 for each door you control. For that one monthly $9.50 fee you can control about 300 devices through their website.
"Devices" also includes things like thermostats you can remotely control from your computer, so you can have them set back to a default setting at checkout time (and have them cool the room down before guests arrive if you want). Also you can set it to turn a lamp on in the room when the guest enters their door code. Lots of possibilities with this system!

Back