Keys vs. Electronic Locks ?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StonehengeBNB

Reaction score
We are thinking of replacing the lock on the front door to our B&B with an electronic lock which we can easily set to a per-guest code (something like the last 4 digits of their phone number) in order to not have to give out keys (and replace them as much). What has everyone else's experience been with this option? Is it also a good or bad idea for a guest room door?
--Eriks

We've talked about this before and I seem to be the only person with a keypad lock that makes noise, so NOT a good idea to get the one I have for a guestroom.
However, it's great for the front door. I, too, thought setting the code to the person's phone number would be great, then I considered 7 rooms x 7 days a week and decided to just make up a code and change it every month. Easier for you, tho, so yes, good idea to set it to something the guest alreadys knows.
I'll tell you this, 75% of my guests do not remember the code and they ring the bell at some point and say, 'I forgot the code,' or, 'I forgot to bring the code with me,' or, 'My wife memorized it and she's in the room.' Almost exclusively this happens during breakfast or very early morning.
Again, not a big deal as long as you make the guest understand the door will be locked at all times and without the code they have to wait for someone to get home.

We've talked about this before and I seem to be the only person with a keypad lock that makes noise, so NOT a good idea to get the one I have for a guestroom.
However, it's great for the front door. I, too, thought setting the code to the person's phone number would be great, then I considered 7 rooms x 7 days a week and decided to just make up a code and change it every month. Easier for you, tho, so yes, good idea to set it to something the guest alreadys knows.
I'll tell you this, 75% of my guests do not remember the code and they ring the bell at some point and say, 'I forgot the code,' or, 'I forgot to bring the code with me,' or, 'My wife memorized it and she's in the room.' Almost exclusively this happens during breakfast or very early morning.
Again, not a big deal as long as you make the guest understand the door will be locked at all times and without the code they have to wait for someone to get home..
We have them for our guest rooms - no noise at all - I programmed the beep to off - But more importantly, have you had any issues in cold weather for the outside door? We get temps in the -20 range, and my experience with anything digital it becomes dead at low temps, which is why we do not use them on our front door

Again, not a big deal as long as you make the guest understand the door will be locked at all times and without the code they have to wait for someone to get home..
We have them for our guest rooms - no noise at all - I programmed the beep to off - But more importantly, have you had any issues in cold weather for the outside door? We get temps in the -20 range, and my experience with anything digital it becomes dead at low temps, which is why we do not use them on our front door
Boomer said:
Are you using the correct type of batteries? For those temps you need Lithium ion batteries. (It doesn't get that cold here, hallelujah!)
Thanks for the info on turning off the beep! My keypad will set off an alarm if it's tried wrong too many times.

Don't think in your situation it is really needed. But front door entrance..a great thing. Many folks here have them.

Don't think in your situation it is really needed. But front door entrance..a great thing. Many folks here have them..
Why wouldn't we need them? I assume guests expect to be able to lock their suite--or am I wrong?

Don't think in your situation it is really needed. But front door entrance..a great thing. Many folks here have them..
Why wouldn't we need them? I assume guests expect to be able to lock their suite--or am I wrong?
No I meant...key pad locks. Seems like overkill for a guest room and since you only have one guest room...A dead bolt lock with a key would work just fine. But if you don't want to mess with keys,...then a keypad would be fine:)

We have an electronic keypad lock on the front door - works fantastic, I wouldn't want to go with keys. It's a different model than Morticia's - I believe we have that model on a door to our private space. It's REALLY loud (not the beeping, but the grinding/motion of the bolt movement). We actually rarely use it, but it's nice that it's there.
We haven't had an issue with guests forgetting, I suppose because we use a number they'd easily remember and we run it for them in person. I can see it would be a challenge for someone unfamiliar who was doing a self-check in.
DH tells me he's found mechanical (no batteries), programmable keypad locks for the guest rooms (we're also planning to put them on the hall baths, to avoid opportunism). Because our codes are guest specific, the code will be the same for front door, guest room door, and bath door (if not en suite). I haven't seen these locks yet (DH hasn't gotten the info to me yet), so I can't tell you if/how they work or even where to order them. Jsut sharing that the option is out there.
I figure that avoiding keys for guests (although WE have physical keys as well as master codes) is one less thing for me to have to keep track of (lost keys, replacement keys, changing locks, lost key charges). I wait until the guests are out the door, scan the room/s for forgotten items, and then I change the code on the front door. Done.

No I meant...key pad locks. Seems like overkill for a guest room and since you only have one guest room...A dead bolt lock with a key would work just fine. But if you don't want to mess with keys,...then a keypad would be fine:)
Understood. We're just thinking into the future since we have more rooms--we just don't want to offer them yet. Thanks for the clarification!

We have an electronic keypad lock on the front door - works fantastic, I wouldn't want to go with keys. It's a different model than Morticia's - I believe we have that model on a door to our private space. It's REALLY loud (not the beeping, but the grinding/motion of the bolt movement). We actually rarely use it, but it's nice that it's there.
We haven't had an issue with guests forgetting, I suppose because we use a number they'd easily remember and we run it for them in person. I can see it would be a challenge for someone unfamiliar who was doing a self-check in.
DH tells me he's found mechanical (no batteries), programmable keypad locks for the guest rooms (we're also planning to put them on the hall baths, to avoid opportunism). Because our codes are guest specific, the code will be the same for front door, guest room door, and bath door (if not en suite). I haven't seen these locks yet (DH hasn't gotten the info to me yet), so I can't tell you if/how they work or even where to order them. Jsut sharing that the option is out there.
I figure that avoiding keys for guests (although WE have physical keys as well as master codes) is one less thing for me to have to keep track of (lost keys, replacement keys, changing locks, lost key charges). I wait until the guests are out the door, scan the room/s for forgotten items, and then I change the code on the front door. Done..
Red Handed Jill said:
and then I change the code on the front door. Done.
Forgot to mention...THOSE are the people who DO remember the code...the ones who come back to use the bathroom after they've checked out. But, having the noisy keypad means I can hear them and intercept.

I figure that avoiding keys for guests (although WE have physical keys as well as master codes) is one less thing for me to have to keep track of (lost keys, replacement keys, changing locks, lost key charges). I wait until the guests are out the door, scan the room/s for forgotten items, and then I change the code on the front door. Done..
Red Handed Jill said:
I figure that avoiding keys for guests (although WE have physical keys as well as master codes) is one less thing for me to have to keep track of (lost keys, replacement keys, changing locks, lost key charges). I wait until the guests are out the door, scan the room/s for forgotten items, and then I change the code on the front door. Done.
We had ones similar to what Morticia had for our front door... in some ways having the noise was a good thing - allowing you to know just when someone was trying to coming in. They worked well for the most part but over time the programing strip inside would become flaky. We had 3 of these for over 7 years but we had to order replacements for each one, more than once. We get some mighty strong lightening showers here and it seems as though the electricity in the air plays havoc with those parts over time. We went with a Schl age model that works much better and is totally silent.
Not sure exactly what your DH has found that is totally mechanical, but there are some we found in supply magazines that we have seen. They look more industrial, in general. They had some like the ones I have seen at an office I worked in back in the early 80's, almost flawless, but not attractive.

I think they are a good idea generaly I don't have them myself but from a self check in perspective they are invaluable. I prefer to check people in myself but as I am sure everyone here will agree with me A. sometimes we have to have lives and B. I aint waiting up till 2am for the guy who missed his train/flight. That way you give him/her the code and they can sort themselves out. My lock box bought on the advice of this forum is priceless as I rarely use it but it gives me peace of mind.

We have them on all our doors, and I absolutely adore them.
When I check guests in I give them the code to the door (while everyone's there, listening) and let them practice. I choose simple codes (with memory devices) and change them now and then.
There have been times when a guest was delayed and it has been great to be able to give them the code and let them do a self-checkin. Most of the time that's for repeat guests who know their way around the house.
We also have them on all the guest room doors and our own bedroom doors.
No keys... it's awesome!!!
=)
Kk.

Front door -- absolute must have. Be aware that models vary as to features. We have a Schlage that allows you to use a conventional style inside handle to turn lock off, and that allow someone to exit and door will lock behind them. That is the most normal operation, but not all keyless are like that. Look at Schlage web site. I'll try to find model number, but I hear a hairdryer so my last breakfast will be here soon ...

The keypad lock for the front door is a good idea. But for guest rooms since you only have one room, I don't think you need to buy it for the guest room. #1 - Cost, #2 - If you have nice guest room doors, it is more of a detraction to the door. Just give your guests a room key.

Front door -- absolute must have. Be aware that models vary as to features. We have a Schlage that allows you to use a conventional style inside handle to turn lock off, and that allow someone to exit and door will lock behind them. That is the most normal operation, but not all keyless are like that. Look at Schlage web site. I'll try to find model number, but I hear a hairdryer so my last breakfast will be here soon ....
Tom said:
Front door -- absolute must have....
NOT. I don't have it, and don't feel that I must. Nothing is a must have...go with your gut.

Front door -- absolute must have. Be aware that models vary as to features. We have a Schlage that allows you to use a conventional style inside handle to turn lock off, and that allow someone to exit and door will lock behind them. That is the most normal operation, but not all keyless are like that. Look at Schlage web site. I'll try to find model number, but I hear a hairdryer so my last breakfast will be here soon ....
Schlage FE595
In MY opinion, a must have ... for an inn in a suburban location where guests will want to come and go on their own and where potential loss of a physical exterior key poses a security risk.

We have one for our front door so that our guests don't need keys. But we have regular keys for their room doors. I love my keypad door lock!!!!
riki

Back