Keys

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
When they take the room keys do you 1) contact them and let them know adn ask to return, 2) contact them ask to return and mention a fee if they don't, 3) contact them more than once if they have not been returned 4) Give them a week and then charge the fee ... etc
Should be a poll, but not that exciting of a topic. Just wondering what the troops here do.

We just charge a fee if they lost them. Never had someone not return them if they accidentally took them. Sometimes it would take days to get them back, but that was never an issue.

I will email and ask for the return. Most of the time, they are in the mail and back to us before I get that far. I have one person who has never sent the keys back, never even responded to the email. It's a pain because our key fobs are hand made and we only have so many. (Which is why I am in the market for new ones.)
We don't charge.

My friend Sandra charges £250 as thats what it costs to get the locks changed. You sign to say you agree to it on check in. I havn't had to charge so far as am very strict about getting them back!

Lost more keys when I had very different and NICE key chains. Now I use crap ones and they always come home.
I had some minature train engines as key chains when we opened - all 3 are long gone (before I knew I could charge a fee for them taking a walk). Replaced a couple of them and then could not find them any longer - so settled for whatever. I had some pewter ones for a while........ I do not even remember what they are on now except the Gillum Room is on a bright orange lanyard. they are bad enough that no one keeps them. They get mailed back.

I haven't opened my B&B yet but decided after 25+ years of being a landlord and having purchased numerour locks, rotating the locks or having them rekeyed, I purchased the electronic keypad type. They can be reprogrammed numerous times immediately and also retain a general code for when you are tidying up the room.
Yes, I have to remove the antique door handles but not having to go through changing out locks or having them re-keyed was a plus for me.
I have no idea what L250 is, my keyboard doesn't even type it but it seems outrageous. Takes all of maybe 5 minutes to do with a screwdriver and locks are relatively inexpensive.

I haven't opened my B&B yet but decided after 25+ years of being a landlord and having purchased numerour locks, rotating the locks or having them rekeyed, I purchased the electronic keypad type. They can be reprogrammed numerous times immediately and also retain a general code for when you are tidying up the room.
Yes, I have to remove the antique door handles but not having to go through changing out locks or having them re-keyed was a plus for me.
I have no idea what L250 is, my keyboard doesn't even type it but it seems outrageous. Takes all of maybe 5 minutes to do with a screwdriver and locks are relatively inexpensive..
Colleen848 said:
I have no idea what L250 is, my keyboard doesn't even type it but it seems outrageous. Takes all of maybe 5 minutes to do with a screwdriver and locks are relatively inexpensive.
250 pounds (Camberley lives in the UK), works out to close to $500 here. I think she does it that way to prevent walking off with the keys. Plus, if you have a hotel, you generally hire this stuff out rather than do it yourself. Both Cambs & the person she mentions have 10+ room places so charging the guest and hiring it out is a lot faster than running to the hardware store, buying the lock,coming back, installing the lock while you're also trying to clean all those rooms and get everyone checked in and out.

I have no idea what L250 is, my keyboard doesn't even type it but it seems outrageous. Takes all of maybe 5 minutes to do with a screwdriver and locks are relatively inexpensive..
Colleen848 said:
I can just imagine people hitting the beep beep beep beep enter all the time upstairs with all of our rooms, it would be pretty funny. Seriousely, we aren't hotels. I think that would make me a maniac hearing that up there. So for our rooms we want regular keys. Front door we have keypad.

Colleen848 said:
250 pounds (Camberley lives in the UK), works out to close to $500 here. I think she does it that way to prevent walking off with the keys. Plus, if you have a hotel, you generally hire this stuff out rather than do it yourself. Both Cambs & the person she mentions have 10+ room places so charging the guest and hiring it out is a lot faster than running to the hardware store, buying the lock,coming back, installing the lock while you're also trying to clean all those rooms and get everyone checked in and out.
If you had 10+ rooms then a card swipe would be the way to go. For smaller B&B's we need to consider not crossing over to being a hotel.

Colleen848 said:
I can just imagine people hitting the beep beep beep beep enter all the time upstairs with all of our rooms, it would be pretty funny. Seriousely, we aren't hotels. I think that would make me a maniac hearing that up there. So for our rooms we want regular keys. Front door we have keypad.
We now have 3 of those keypads. The new one doesn't make any noise. It's wonderful. It doesn't beep and it doesn't make this horrendous clanking noise when it relocks.
The old one is on my door and it's awful. I would never put that one on a guest room door, it would wake the house!

Colleen848 said:
If you had 10+ rooms then a card swipe would be the way to go. For smaller B&B's we need to consider not crossing over to being a hotel.
a friend of mine from another forum after a guest managed to get the key broken in the lock changed over to a key fob system ie you wave the keyfob at the lock and it opens the door and the door to your room sounds like a good idea as if they accidentally took the keys you just cut off that fob so to speak. The trouble with those swipe cards is that you put them next to your mobile in your pocket and it wipes the data.

Colleen848 said:
a friend of mine from another forum after a guest managed to get the key broken in the lock changed over to a key fob system ie you wave the keyfob at the lock and it opens the door and the door to your room sounds like a good idea as if they accidentally took the keys you just cut off that fob so to speak. The trouble with those swipe cards is that you put them next to your mobile in your pocket and it wipes the data.

Back