Kitchen musts

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wish I had: More space
Favorite thing that I used everyday: 5 burner gas range top with electric/convection oven and side warming oven - it's amazing how many burners you can use and how handy a warming oven can be.

Wish I had 2 more burners instead of the built-in grill. Love my warming drawer. Also, just picked up a toaster oven that is perfect for baking when we only have a few guests. Oh, and love, love, love my Kitchen Aid mixer.

Wish I had what Kathleen has. . . a hubby that does dishes!
teeth_smile.gif

Couldn't live without the microwave, several frying pans and glass baking dishes, wisks, knives, spatulas, cutting boards, melon baller, zester, cheese grater, griddle, waffle maker, and most of all, my herb garden, just out the kitchen door..
Silverspoon said:
Couldn't live without the microwave, several frying pans and glass baking dishes, wisks, knives, spatulas, cutting boards, melon baller, zester, cheese grater, griddle, waffle maker, and most of all, my herb garden, just out the kitchen door.
This is a good starter list. I have to equip my vacation rental kitchens soon!

Couldn't live without the microwave, several frying pans and glass baking dishes, wisks, knives, spatulas, cutting boards, melon baller, zester, cheese grater, griddle, waffle maker, and most of all, my herb garden, just out the kitchen door..
Silverspoon said:
Couldn't live without the microwave, several frying pans and glass baking dishes, wisks, knives, spatulas, cutting boards, melon baller, zester, cheese grater, griddle, waffle maker, and most of all, my herb garden, just out the kitchen door.
pleasd do not think you haveto provide all of those things for your guest kitchens. you onlyy need to provide the basics for them. I would not spend the money for guest kitchens. THey are not there to set up housekeeping are they?

I love my induction stove top . I love it more then a gas range. It is quick and clean and fast. That and my mixer and micro, Having two oven is a gift. One I am thank full for PLUS ! my induction stove top.
Hello Amber and welcome a board..
I was checking out induction stoves today. I like the idea because the house has electric stove instead of the gas I am used to having, but my experience with stainless steel cookware is bad. I had it a few months but everything always stuck and was never as clean and shiny as I wanted it.
If you still have and love your stainless cookware, this will keep it sparkling and polished, even after bad burns: 600 grit wet dry sandpaper. I keep it in the kitchen at all times. Works great. I've had my favorite heavy bottom pans since I was in my twenties. They look good and perform well. They're now old friends.

Silverspoon said:
pleasd do not think you haveto provide all of those things for your guest kitchens. you onlyy need to provide the basics for them. I would not spend the money for guest kitchens. THey are not there to set up housekeeping are they?
catlady said:
Oh no, I don't think I HAVE to provide a nice kitchen. But nobody cooks anymore. Everybody's so busy they do what's fast and easy, day in and day out. Fast food. Carry out. Frozen dinners.
So I'm going to offer people some cookbooks, a nicely equipped kitchen, and the thought that maybe a family working together to prepare one nice meal during their stay might be a fun diversion on vacation.
It won't be for everybody, or even for most, but it's not a big deal to offer it, to have it available if they want to do it. To cook, and to savor.

Silverspoon said:
catlady said:
Oh no, I don't think I HAVE to provide a nice kitchen. But nobody cooks anymore. Everybody's so busy they do what's fast and easy, day in and day out. Fast food. Carry out. Frozen dinners.
So I'm going to offer people some cookbooks, a nicely equipped kitchen, and the thought that maybe a family working together to prepare one nice meal during their stay might be a fun diversion on vacation.
It won't be for everybody, or even for most, but it's not a big deal to offer it, to have it available if they want to do it. To cook, and to savor.
Arkansawyer said:
At least one cottage rental place I've been to offered a shopping list and would stock your kitchen for a meal or two before you checked in. With a service charge, of course, but no more than room service or a tip for a good meal. You might offer little packages like that - a pasta dinner, a chicken dinner with salad and dessert - for a specific price.

Silverspoon said:
catlady said:
Arkansawyer said:
You know why a lot of parents like to go on vacation? It gets them out of the kitchen!
It sounds like a great idea to provide a nice place to make a meal. And the idea of having a shopping list for certain foods would take the pressure off the vacationing family to find the grocery store, etc.

Silverspoon said:
catlady said:
Arkansawyer said:
You know why a lot of parents like to go on vacation? It gets them out of the kitchen!
It sounds like a great idea to provide a nice place to make a meal. And the idea of having a shopping list for certain foods would take the pressure off the vacationing family to find the grocery store, etc.
I have a friend with rental cabins. She is putting some packages together now. She is going to put spaghetti sauce, spaghetti, cheese, Italian bread and a bottle of wine and something sweet for dessert into a "dinner basket" so the guests will know it is in the cabin when they get there. All they have to do is put water in the pot and boil :)

Silverspoon said:
catlady said:
Arkansawyer said:
I have a friend with rental cabins. She is putting some packages together now. She is going to put spaghetti sauce, spaghetti, cheese, Italian bread and a bottle of wine and something sweet for dessert into a "dinner basket" so the guests will know it is in the cabin when they get there. All they have to do is put water in the pot and boil :)
catlady said:
Even I can boil water. Great idea! These packages may be good to offer! Thanks to all!

Silverspoon said:
catlady said:
Arkansawyer said:
catlady said:
Even I can boil water. Great idea! These packages may be good to offer! Thanks to all!
On vacation, I only cooked to save money (too many brats) and wanted cheap & fast. I wanted to enjoy the vacation too. Without the extra appendages wanted a restaurant so someone actually served ME.
Another thing for the spaghetti fixin's stocking of shelves is the quick & easy packages last on the shelf - the other stuff has a short shelf life. There are higher end quick meals - better than tuna hel per type things. Veggies in the freezer - the add-ins - could be removed and used, say by the innkeeper, if that guest did not use the freezer stuff. Boxes get dusted and put back on the shelf.

Back