Knocking the Wind Beneath My Wings

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
Get a call last night... guest wants to check out early, not happy with the room, too small, ac too loud, the room is dirty. Why do they have to hit so low? The room was dirty? Never have I had a guest ever say that. We cleaned the room personally. It hit me right in the gut, so personal. I put the left over nights online to resell.

They pile it on hoping for a refund. The same people make stuff up at restaurants to get their meal comped.

Sorry to hear you had to deal with that BS.. People don't realize how their words hurt, especially when you take such pride in your place. Be glad they left and try not to let it bother you too much, although it's so hard not to.

We had this with a couple - on a ruddy gift card, we don't normally take them on a saturday but was his birthday so they did sat/sunday with it - arranged early check in then didn't come - arranged balloons and cake and fruit salad - then jiggered off without paying for them - he came said rooms wasn't clean on first day - me and my sister completely re cleaned it but was fine before - only thing we could find was a tiny bit of dust on the head board which I wouldn't have bothered anyone about myself - just looking for something to make a fuss about. Went out of my was as saturday boy was embarrassed about it to tell him in case he had over heard that there wasn't anything wrong with his work - wanted him to know it wasn't a real complaint just tatty people

This is one DH would have to handle. I would have said I need to speak to them in person, gone to their room with camera in hand and asked them to show me what was "dirty". I would have documented the condition of the room and been happy to show them to the door. We do not refund for early departures.
DH would have been the level head and done what you did. Refund. It hurts but it got them out of your place and now you can move on to nice guests.

Generic, I know you take great pride in every detail of your inn, from fantastic breakfasts to picture-perfect rooms. Some guests arrive with a *huge* chip on their shoulder and there's nothing anyone can do to appease them. These guests sound like complete @#$%&*. I know their foul words will hurt for a long time. Don't lose focus of all of the guests who have raved about your B&B. Reread a couple hundred of your 5* reviews, pour yourself a cocktail, and forget about these losers.

I'm so sorry Generic. Some people just don't get who and what we are and how we live and breath our business. It's happened to most of us and it really hurts.

Back