Know I shouldn't be but I am just SO offended!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
It has been a 12 hour day. We had no guests yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it, got right at it this morning at 6 AM. Since that time DH has mowed/weeded/edged entire yard (which took about 5 hours), gone to grocery store and prepped breakfast for tomorrow. I did interior paint touch ups, washed/folded/put away 12 loads of laundry, made cookies, cleaned kitchen, walked dog, cleaned 2 guest rooms, and caught up on all emails/correspondence.
4 check-ins done, the last two of which are two couples together from the state I sincerely wish the Pacific ocean would just swallow whole. Checked them in at 2:30, they took 45 minutes to get settled with their "So do you like this?" chit chat but finally got them set with dinner reservations and thought they would leave to go see something. No, they've done nothing but sit in the back yard since then, just knocked on the door to ask "Do you have any more bird seed"?
Yes, 1 of 3 feeders is empty. I KNOW IT NEEDS TO BE FILLED, I USUALLY DO IT IN AM AND MISSED IT TODAY BUT WOW, that just peeved me off to no end. I don't know why but I am just completely offended. I seriously just sat down and bawled. How about you go DO something and you can watch the birds after I fill the feeder tomorrow?
It is going to be a L O N G season...

Of course you're offended... you're exhausted!!! Go get rest. N.O.W.
=)
Kk.

...because everything else was so perfect and they picked up on the one, tiny, insignificant, empty bird feeder. I would be offended too. I hope you're sleeping now and that tomorrow will be better.

Sorry Dude. They stay they pay they go away!
Ya know I had an empty feeder for nearly 3 weeks at the back due to these stinky little mobs of birds coming and eating it in one go then DROPPING IT IN ONE FLASH MOB on the cars parked in our parking area (guest vehicles). For yhat I was doing them all a favor and saving their paint jobs!

Sorry dude. I hate when that happens, but somehow it is a step up from guests who won't tell you that a lightbulb is out... and it's been out for a week. Or that someone broke the shower handle... and it's been two weeks.... etc.

Oh golly. I know this feeling. You did a million and one things before these people even got out of bed and the one thing you didn't do is what they're talking about.

I think it is when you are really pleased with yourself and have really got on top of things that they come and point out the one thing that is missed it really gets your goat. Plus they don't appreciate the hours of amazing work you have done. (believe me I am weeding the yard pretty much every day at the moment to keep it undercontrol) Its like grrr they don't appreciate me and thats what has gotten your goat!

Thank you for the "poor babies". It just really got my goat. I went to bed early and got up feeling better (and of course I filled the dern feeder as soon as they left for dinner last night).
Had to laugh, woke up to a voice message from last night's last-minute, self check-in guest wondering what the password is for the WiFi. There's no password. The other thing was a cancellation email.
SO...it's going to be THAT week. I got spoiled, being super busy with amazing guests last week, I forgot that the pendulum always swings back. Nothing to do but grin and bear it!
Thanks for reading/listening.

Thank you for the "poor babies". It just really got my goat. I went to bed early and got up feeling better (and of course I filled the dern feeder as soon as they left for dinner last night).
Had to laugh, woke up to a voice message from last night's last-minute, self check-in guest wondering what the password is for the WiFi. There's no password. The other thing was a cancellation email.
SO...it's going to be THAT week. I got spoiled, being super busy with amazing guests last week, I forgot that the pendulum always swings back. Nothing to do but grin and bear it!
Thanks for reading/listening..
I got so tired last week of having guests ask where's the pw for the WiFi that I taped it to the mirror in the bedrooms. I have a lovely guest help book in the room that some guests read from cover to cover and others think is there to hold the desk down.

Well, if it cheers you up... I started with a guest arriving at 9 AM this morning (no, we didn't expect her) and then with a rude phone call from Toronto for someone who wanted a room. First they wanted to be in Old Montreal (I'm a 20 minute walk) and I told him that there are no B&Bs in Old Montreal, so he will need to go to a hotel. Next he asks me about downtown Montreal, I said that the centre of Montreal (the McGill Metro) is a 20 minute walk. He says, a 20 minute to the train? Next he wanted a room for three nights in mid-May, which is booked. When I told him it wasn't available he just hung up, rudely, without saying goodbye.
And now if you are wondering why I don't have a toll-free number... it is phone calls like that one that keep me from getting one.

I got so tired last week of having guests ask where's the pw for the WiFi that I taped it to the mirror in the bedrooms. I have a lovely guest help book in the room that some guests read from cover to cover and others think is there to hold the desk down.
Alibi Ike said:
I have a poster with it in the entryway. It's all in upper case (because of my damn printer) and all the Apple people always seem to complain that it doesn't work, until you ask if they typed it in upper case.... miracles!

Well, if it cheers you up... I started with a guest arriving at 9 AM this morning (no, we didn't expect her) and then with a rude phone call from Toronto for someone who wanted a room. First they wanted to be in Old Montreal (I'm a 20 minute walk) and I told him that there are no B&Bs in Old Montreal, so he will need to go to a hotel. Next he asks me about downtown Montreal, I said that the centre of Montreal (the McGill Metro) is a 20 minute walk. He says, a 20 minute to the train? Next he wanted a room for three nights in mid-May, which is booked. When I told him it wasn't available he just hung up, rudely, without saying goodbye.
And now if you are wondering why I don't have a toll-free number... it is phone calls like that one that keep me from getting one.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
. . . And now if you are wondering why I don't have a toll-free number... it is phone calls like that one that keep me from getting one.
With the prevalence of cell-phones and free long distance, is a toll-free number that necessary anymore?

Alibi Ike said:
I made small tent folds with the wifi password and set them on the desk in each room. It works.
Concerning the guest help book, as I show each guest their room, I point out that our guest help book has every bit of information they need to traverse our property, our town and all the inner workings of their room. AND if they have any questions that aren't contained within those pages, then come ask. This seems to work as well.

"No one notices what I do until I don't do it!"
One of my favorite quotes, along with:
"I'm the responsible one........whenever anything happens, I'm responsible!"
Hope you have a better day today!
regular_smile.gif

Alibi Ike said:
I have a poster with it in the entryway. It's all in upper case (because of my damn printer) and all the Apple people always seem to complain that it doesn't work, until you ask if they typed it in upper case.... miracles!
We had the info in the entry as well. And I would mention to the guests they could use our computer (pointing like Vanna White to the computer) or, if they brought their own, 'the access info is in the guest book in your room'.
Like the new door code, the WiFi access code thing is taking a little work. (Or, like me on vacation thinking I had Wireless internet access, sitting there cursing when I couldn't stay connected to the hotel across the street! THEN I found the hard-wired access port under the TV.)

Seriously, if you can't figure out how to access the WiFi on a password free network, then you definitely do not NEED to be accessing it. I'm not here to be your tech support. The people who NEED it never have an issue.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
. . . And now if you are wondering why I don't have a toll-free number... it is phone calls like that one that keep me from getting one.
With the prevalence of cell-phones and free long distance, is a toll-free number that necessary anymore?
Some people still think so. But my experience has been that if they aren't paying for the phone call, they will call to ask you anything and everything including things that aren't related to your business. Really! Restaurants, stores to visit, the brand of shampoo in the rooms, etc.

Alibi Ike said:
We had the info in the entry as well. And I would mention to the guests they could use our computer (pointing like Vanna White to the computer) or, if they brought their own, 'the access info is in the guest book in your room'.
Like the new door code, the WiFi access code thing is taking a little work. (Or, like me on vacation thinking I had Wireless internet access, sitting there cursing when I couldn't stay connected to the hotel across the street! THEN I found the hard-wired access port under the TV.)
I don't travel with CAT5 anymore. I would have been cursing!

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Some people still think so. But my experience has been that if they aren't paying for the phone call, they will call to ask you anything and everything including things that aren't related to your business. Really! Restaurants, stores to visit, the brand of shampoo in the rooms, etc.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Those calls only bother me when they hang up without booking and never call again. But our 800# expense has dropped dramatically since when we bought the place. The PO told us to expect $400+/month in calls in the summer on the 800#. It's not even close to that.

Back