Knowing your guests

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Every once in a while we have a guest or couple who just don't get it, by it I mean anything and everything. Are they from mars? The poor couple at the table with them right now are being bored to tears, this other couple are just plain odd.
The couple from NY are here for NASCAR. The odd couple asks "What is that?" They are in their maybe early 60's. The NY couple answer "Its a car race" to which they reply "What kind of cars?"
Those poor poor guests...
It brought up this idea, do you have any comaraderie with your guests? It seems like most innkeepers have something to talk about in common with all their guests. If you are near a certain attraction, do you know about it enough to discuss with your guests?
When this man brought up where he buys the beet seeds for their self sustained agragarian farm I saw the other guests eyes glaze over.
This weekend is always the best, all walks of life love NASCAR and we have a blast. This weekend, which begins with today's check ins. Better go clear my non organic sweet potato vegg mixes from them...bye

Well, your thread makes me think that maybe that is why some B&B's are switching over to the individual tables instead of one large one - then people aren't forced to talk to other people.
Now, my belief is that then it isn't a B&B! I think part of the B&B experience is the large table where everyone gets to visit (including the Innkeeper). The place I just got back from had individual tables and everyone seemed fine, but it was hard on me! I like to visit with the people, but it was hard going from table to table - cos basically you kinda ask the same questions - where did you go to dinner, was it good, how did you sleep, etc. until you find out what interests them and then you can deepen the conversation. But with four tables to visit I couldn't spend a whole lot of time. And if I left them alone (since that is what individual tables are all about) then I felt like I was ignoring them! And I don't consider that a B&B thing to do either!
But to answer your question - an Innkeeper should know enough about what the guests are coming to see in your area. That is the hardest part of my job - having time to go out to explore the area so I can sound knowledgeable enough!

That is a good point! or does the innkeeper not visit the individ tables? Does it become more of a waiter/waitress situation at this point?
I spoke to the glazed eyes guest and they actually had a decent conversation at one point as the one is a chemical engineer and the other works in refineries. So all in all, it was prob me. But they were certainly apples and oranges. I don't want to become the one to interject just to keep the conversation off the boring topics, but I am here all the time, maybe the other couple never dine with boring "different" people. So maybe it was fun for them. WHO KNOWS!

Normally we have one large table and all guests sit together. Since we leave it as open seating, sometimes we find that guests sit at opposite ends of the table in an attempt to be alone. Of course that is never for long becasue other guests come in and fill in the gaps. Some still remain quiet or fixed on their companion while others resign into the conversation of a group or whole table.
When we have a very full house - meaning every bed taken in every room, we can break down our table into 2 smaller ones and we can then add a 3rd in the mix. It still does not provide some with individual tables but lessens the need to converse with a larger group. I find that sometimes when we set up this way, guests try to communicate more with other tables and things get louder do to it, and that some seem disappointed when they see the individual tables just as often as those who opt for the other end of the large table, so in reality it is a 50/50 split of the preferred configuration.

That is a good point! or does the innkeeper not visit the individ tables? Does it become more of a waiter/waitress situation at this point?
I spoke to the glazed eyes guest and they actually had a decent conversation at one point as the one is a chemical engineer and the other works in refineries. So all in all, it was prob me. But they were certainly apples and oranges. I don't want to become the one to interject just to keep the conversation off the boring topics, but I am here all the time, maybe the other couple never dine with boring "different" people. So maybe it was fun for them. WHO KNOWS! .
Yes, I definitely was feeling like a waitress that weekend. It was a job I never wanted to do and here I am! A few years ago my sister and I got a tip at the table after breakfast - we had a good laugh about that one! Hasn't happened since tho.

I spoke to the glazed eyes guest and they actually had a decent conversation at one point as the one is a chemical engineer and the other works in refineries. So all in all, it was prob me. But they were certainly apples and oranges. I don't want to become the one to interject just to keep the conversation off the boring topics, but I am here all the time, maybe the other couple never dine with boring "different" people. So maybe it was fun for them. WHO KNOWS! .
There is your answer - engineer! They do not know HOW to do small talk.

Normally we have one large table and all guests sit together. Since we leave it as open seating, sometimes we find that guests sit at opposite ends of the table in an attempt to be alone. Of course that is never for long becasue other guests come in and fill in the gaps. Some still remain quiet or fixed on their companion while others resign into the conversation of a group or whole table.
When we have a very full house - meaning every bed taken in every room, we can break down our table into 2 smaller ones and we can then add a 3rd in the mix. It still does not provide some with individual tables but lessens the need to converse with a larger group. I find that sometimes when we set up this way, guests try to communicate more with other tables and things get louder do to it, and that some seem disappointed when they see the individual tables just as often as those who opt for the other end of the large table, so in reality it is a 50/50 split of the preferred configuration..
copperhead said:
I find that sometimes when we set up this way, guests try to communicate more with other tables and things get louder do to it, and that some seem disappointed when they see the individual tables just as often as those who opt for the other end of the large table, so in reality it is a 50/50 split of the preferred configuration.
I think I agree, Copperhead. We have individual tables, and sometimes I think that does surprise some people.....but I KNOW in relieves plenty of others! The folks who WANT to talk to each other are perfectly comfortable starting up a conversation with the folks at the next table, so I don't sweat it. A little bit of background music helps. And many times I find a way to tell folks something about each other....make the introduction for them based on something I learned the night before. That often makes them comfortable, or at least gives them an "in" if they want to pursue conversation.
Sometimes folks click, and sometimes they don't....and I think that's true whether you have one big table or several little ones.
When I stay in inns, I'm perfectly comfortable in either scenario.

In fairness to your guests, JB, I don't get the allure of NASCAR either and I'm here where it's uber popular. tee hee.... Fortunately, we don't have a track all that close to us. ;-)

Know your guests is a reminder to look at the reservation. FIRST time I neglected to do so either the night before or morning of arrival in all the years I have been doing this. Fortunately the lady mentioned no wheat while we were at the barn. Baked oatmeal became the breakfast this morning. I also put the horses in stalls rather than the training ring ($20 difference) which I took off my rate to correct my error - although since it rained I am glad I goofed because the horses stayed dry and not muddy.

In fairness to your guests, JB, I don't get the allure of NASCAR either and I'm here where it's uber popular. tee hee.... Fortunately, we don't have a track all that close to us. ;-).
Samster said:
In fairness to your guests, JB, I don't get the allure of NASCAR either and I'm here where it's uber popular. tee hee.... Fortunately, we don't have a track all that close to us. ;-)
I never said they didn't get the allure, they had never heard of it, but you have heard of it right?
Fortunately WE DO have a track near us, it helps pay the bills, plus we ourselves enjoy this sport. Just as an fyi for those who assume incorrectly that all NASCAR fans are rednecks, they aren't. Just want to clear up that misconception and bigoted idea - yeah I am using that word as people preach tolerance but still tell blond jokes and make fun of NASCAR FANS. It is the number one sport in this country. VAROOMMMMMMM LONG MAY SHE ROARRRRRR
cheers.gif

In fairness to your guests, JB, I don't get the allure of NASCAR either and I'm here where it's uber popular. tee hee.... Fortunately, we don't have a track all that close to us. ;-).
Samster said:
I never said they didn't get the allure, they had never heard of it, but you have heard of it right?
Fortunately WE DO have a track near us, it helps pay the bills, plus we ourselves enjoy this sport. Just as an fyi for those who assume incorrectly that all NASCAR fans are rednecks, they aren't. Just want to clear up that misconception and bigoted idea - yeah I am using that word as people preach tolerance but still tell blond jokes and make fun of NASCAR FANS. It is the number one sport in this country. VAROOMMMMMMM LONG MAY SHE ROARRRRRR
cheers.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
VAROOMMMMMMM LONG MAY SHE ROARRRRRR
cheers.gif
I am not a die hard NASCAR fan, but I ALWAYS get goose bumps when the announcer says, "Gentlemen, start your engines" and all you hear are the horses running...

Samster said:
cheers.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
cheers.gif
I am not a die hard NASCAR fan, but I ALWAYS get goose bumps when the announcer says, "Gentlemen, start your engines" and all you hear are the horses running...
The show, Undercover Boss, featured Nascar last Sunday night and it was uber-interesting. And it dispelled the redneck stereotype without even mentioning it. When it comes on again in re-runs, you Nascar fans would enjoy it. We really like that show as the end is always heart warming and I wish I could get a copy of their upbeat theme music to play during housecleaning. Very cheerful and energizing.

Joey Bloggs said:
Had a situation a couple of weeks ago with a young couple who spoke to no one. One their last morning, they had to sit at a 4-top with an older couple. Well, who knew but they were chatting like magpies in about 2 seconds even thought they were originally not going to sit with anyone.
The same older couple had seemed completely out of their element the previous morning until I walked in and said to a repeat couple, 'Isn't this strange- last year you met a couple with an almond grove in CA and this year it's a potato farmer from NJ!' and I introduced them to each other and they chatted all through breakfast 'across the aisle' as they were at separate tables.
When I am serving each table I try to get a little info as to what the guests are planning, which then encourages other guests to pipe in with what they have done/are going to do. I ask about their dinner, would they recommend that place to anyone else? Ask where they are from, etc.
When breakfast is over, the other half comes out of the kitchen with coffee and chats everyone up all over again.

Samster said:
cheers.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
cheers.gif
The show, Undercover Boss, featured Nascar last Sunday night and it was uber-interesting. And it dispelled the redneck stereotype without even mentioning it. When it comes on again in re-runs, you Nascar fans would enjoy it. We really like that show as the end is always heart warming and I wish I could get a copy of their upbeat theme music to play during housecleaning. Very cheerful and energizing.
Pollyanna said:
Yes, thanks. and see that is the thing WE ALREADY KNOW THIS we NASCAR FANS, those of you who do not understand this sport should watch it! :)
FWIW I already told an innmate off forum, this weekend with all 6 rooms here for NASCAR, 5 out of the 6 rooms made their beds every morning. Even though one morning 4 of them left at 6am in the dark to get to the track early.
The one who did not make their bed put the additional quilt and shams folded nice and tidy on a chair. These are the best guests we have, yes, the best, they love everything, out of 6 rooms (also a couple turn-overs in there, so it was actually 9 couples) we had NOT ONE "me me me make me feel special" dietary requirement, if they had issues with anything, like I always say, and adhere to myself, don't eat it!

gillumhouse said:
My hubs is an Engineer and he is a huge talker! I don't even need to say anything as he will always have something to say to anyone!
teeth_smile.gif

I don't get NASCAR (cars going around in a circle burning lots of fuel) any more than I understand golf - hitting a little ball all over the place. But that's why there's chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry - it would be a boring place if we all liked the same things!

I was a huge NASCAR fan before DE passed away...after that, my heart was broken. Nascar is very much about the drivers and their personalities for most fans. If you don't know any of the drivers, you won't find it at all interesting.

I was a huge NASCAR fan before DE passed away...after that, my heart was broken. Nascar is very much about the drivers and their personalities for most fans. If you don't know any of the drivers, you won't find it at all interesting..
wendydk said:
I was a huge NASCAR fan before DE passed away...after that, my heart was broken.
Us too! We really can't even watch anymore, it has all changed so much since he's gone. We do root for Jr. once in a while if we tune in, and I was super glad to hear Mark Martin is still winning!!!

I was a huge NASCAR fan before DE passed away...after that, my heart was broken. Nascar is very much about the drivers and their personalities for most fans. If you don't know any of the drivers, you won't find it at all interesting..
See, I don't even know who DE is. ;-) I would not be able to participate in any kind of conversation about NASCAR racing at all.
I have just not been all that interested in NASCAR and not because I have any preconceived notion about the fans. I know plenty of folks that are HUGE fans.
I do love college football though. :)
Each to their own.....

Samster said:
cheers.gif

I meant it's fortunate that we don't have a track near us because there's no way that I could converse about NASCAR at all. I'm off the hook on that one.
No offense intended by any means.
embaressed_smile.gif

Back