"Kosher"-exactly what is meant by that from a guest

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This topic got me to thinking. I may put a disclaimer on our "breakfast" page of our website stating that, while we try to accomodate dietary restrictions, this should not be misconstrued that we are in any way keeping a kosher kitchen.
This has really not been a problem for us because of our geographic location, but we had to make a similar statement to let people know that we are not ADA compliant. As long as people know up front, those that have dietary or other issues will go elsewhere..
Proud Texan said:
This topic got me to thinking. I may put a disclaimer on our "breakfast" page of our website stating that, while we try to accomodate dietary restrictions, this should not be misconstrued that we are in any way keeping a kosher kitchen.
This has really not been a problem for us because of our geographic location, but we had to make a similar statement to let people know that we are not ADA compliant. As long as people know up front, those that have dietary or other issues will go elsewhere.
Send them to me! I need the business.

This has really not been a problem for us because of our geographic location, but we had to make a similar statement to let people know that we are not ADA compliant. As long as people know up front, those that have dietary or other issues will go elsewhere..
Proud Texan said:
This has really not been a problem for us because of our geographic location, but we had to make a similar statement to let people know that we are not ADA compliant. As long as people know up front, those that have dietary or other issues will go elsewhere.
Joey Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
You can have them. Most of this ilk are PITAs anyway.

Instead, I would give them a yogurt (OU kosher), some fruit, bottled orange juice, plastic cutlery, plastic plate, paper napkin, bread (if I can easily get some kosher bread, otherwise a box of kosher crackers), styrofoam cup and a small unopened 1/2 quart of milk. Anyone who keeps kosher and has to travel will kvell over how much trouble you went for them. Take my word for it, the fact that it's all closed packaging and all marked OU kosher would make them very happy, because they know you respect them.
Anyone who is so religious as to require "cholov yisrael" won't be staying at your place and wouldn't even think of eating anything from your kitchen.
To be 100% honest, if I saw that disclaimer, I would book elsewhere. I'm not religious and I don't keep kosher, but that disclaimer reads very differently in my mind. I'm assuming that that isn't your intent, but honestly, that is how I would see it.

Instead, I would give them a yogurt (OU kosher), some fruit, bottled orange juice, plastic cutlery, plastic plate, paper napkin, bread (if I can easily get some kosher bread, otherwise a box of kosher crackers), styrofoam cup and a small unopened 1/2 quart of milk. Anyone who keeps kosher and has to travel will kvell over how much trouble you went for them. Take my word for it, the fact that it's all closed packaging and all marked OU kosher would make them very happy, because they know you respect them.
Anyone who is so religious as to require "cholov yisrael" won't be staying at your place and wouldn't even think of eating anything from your kitchen.
To be 100% honest, if I saw that disclaimer, I would book elsewhere. I'm not religious and I don't keep kosher, but that disclaimer reads very differently in my mind. I'm assuming that that isn't your intent, but honestly, that is how I would see it.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
To be 100% honest, if I saw that disclaimer, I would book elsewhere.
Frankly it would not be worded so abruptly. I merely stated it that plainly as an example. Besides, I don't see how you could read that disclaimer about food prep as anti-semetic.
We live in Podunk, Texas. This town is 99.9% Baptist. There is one small grocery store besides a redneck Walmart. Do you honestly think they carry kosher food anywhere in this town? I'm just saying you can't expect kosher when the predominent population and diet is not.
We discourage individuals in wheelchairs because of our property's rough terrain. That does not mean we discriminate against individuals with disabilities. They can come here if they want, but they'll have a hell of time navigating our property. So it is with individuals wanting a kosher meal. We can't serve it, so they should know up front.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Frankly it would not be worded so abruptly. I merely stated it that plainly as an example. Besides, I don't see how you could read that disclaimer about food prep as anti-semetic.
We live in Podunk, Texas. This town is 99.9% Baptist. There is one small grocery store besides a redneck Walmart. Do you honestly think they carry kosher food anywhere in this town? I'm just saying you can't expect kosher when the predominent population and diet is not.
We discourage individuals in wheelchairs because of our property's rough terrain. That does not mean we discriminate against individuals with disabilities. They can come here if they want, but they'll have a hell of time navigating our property. So it is with individuals wanting a kosher meal. We can't serve it, so they should know up front.
You would be surprised how much is likely marked as kosher. Yoplait yogurt. Minute Maid. Almost anything made by Quaker. A lot of Keebler items. You just don't notice it. I have taken my dad through Podunk before in states smaller than Texas and managed to get plenty to eat as long as we didn't worry about meat.
Honestly, I'm telling you that anyone who was really kosher, wouldn't want you to prepare breakfast for them anyway. Any disclaimer of that sort would immediately make me look elsewhere. I'm guessing that Muslims who follows the same prohibitions (except for the mixing of meat and dairy) would likely view it exactly the same way. And, the fact is, the mentioning of it on your website will bring exactly those people to your website, because when they put in texas kosher bed and breakfast, your will pop up, for all the wrong reasons.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Proud Texan said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Read the labels and look at the packaging. You might be quite surprised at what the Redneck Walmart in Podunk has that is in fact Kosher. My podunk town of 36K people with a .0001% population of jewish people carries a huge amount of kosher items in their Walmart. Not by choice simply because of manufacturing.
Enteman's Donuts
Most Pillsbury and Betty Crocker Mixes
Walmart brand Cranberry Apple Juice
Stoneyfield farm yogurt is not only kosher but gluten free.
Just to name a few.
Look at the packaging of things in your pantry now. I would bet there is more kosher food in your pantry than you might expect to find at podunk walmart.
I will readily admit there is less kosher prepackaged food of certain varieties than others but, there is more of many of the items one might prepare for breakfast than one might expect. Fruit is easy, it is kosher by nature, unless you rubbed it with pork or shell fish before serving it, which no one in their right mind would do.
Eggs are PARVE therefore neutral, can be served with either meat or cheese providing they are from a chicken, duck, goose, cornish hen or turkey. Bread is pareve, therefore unless you add milk or butter or serve with butter it can be served with meat or dairy.
A simple and very acceptable alternative to Eric's very correct assertion would be:
Pancakes, fresh fruit, scrambled eggs (with cheese if you like and any other vegetables), potatoes/hasbrowns cooked in vegetable oil, salmon such as lox or even mixed in the scrambled eggs, even a wonderful rice or bread pudding could be made if no meat was being served.
It isn't all that hard, it is just a little different, and as Eric pointed out, if anyone keeps strict kosher they won't eat anything you serve if you cooked it yourself in your kitchen. Prepackaged and disposable serving/eating utensils would be the only way to go, and yes they would kvell at the effort you took to be so incredibly respectful, probably garnering an outstanding review.
Case in point and I will be done with this long winded post....
A good friend of the family, his family keeps strict kosher, no non kosher food enters their home. When my DS (and the rest of the teenage herd) goes over their after a large group out to dinner, and they have togo/doggie bags, they leave them in the garage. However when this young man is in my home, he happily eats what ever I prepare in the kosher style. He heartily begs for my DD Orange Bread, begs for my special fried baked potatoes slathered with cheese (bought at walmart) and gobbles every all beef hotdog or hamburger as they come off the grill.
I leave you with this one thought, would you say the same to someone who said they are gluten free or lactose intolerant? If your answer is yes then, as JB put it send them her way she would happily accommodate. Or is it that it is unfamiliar to you, and therefore more difficult to understand. Frankly it is way easier than a GF menu, been there done that for 6 weeks when my oldest was being tested for celiac, and she wasn't even living at home at the time.

I thought of this thread, had a gentleman from Seattle (yeah my old stomping ground) book a package with us, and his name was obv Jewish, and he said "We are kosher, so if you can just provide vegetarian meals that would be fine." BLESS HIS HEART! What a champion. The music package also involves a local dinner theater, so I made sure I told them the same when I bought his tickets. I love no fuss guests.

Back