Kosher?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
I am going to assume I cannot handle a kosher meal given my kitchen and not having separate utensils, plates, etc. True? So, this person can have what? Fruit?
I understand they will have the same issues dining out, so I'm not stressing.

Are they asking for Glatt kosher or simply kosher style?
If they are asking for Glatt kosher, buy some disposible cutlery and plates as well as a nice glass teacup or mug. Glasses can be used if they are 100% glass. Ask them if kosher products marked OU are fine or if they need special milk products (cholov israel). If OU is fine, you should be able to find yogourt and cheese, bread or bagel products. Start a new butter, let them open the packet, so they know that no cutlery has touched it. Or get some cream cheese marked OU.
OU.png

You can ask them, but they should accept a boiled egg, just put it in front of a candle to see that it is unfertilized. http://poultrykeeper.com/common-articles-to-all-poultry/incubation-hatching/candling-eggs.html
No meat at all.

They didn' specify, just said 'kosher' and when I said I didn't think I could do that given how everything is mixed in the kitchen he said it was ok, not to worry.
So, yogurt would be ok as long as it is labeled properly? And put into a glass dish? Granola on top?

They didn' specify, just said 'kosher' and when I said I didn't think I could do that given how everything is mixed in the kitchen he said it was ok, not to worry.
So, yogurt would be ok as long as it is labeled properly? And put into a glass dish? Granola on top?.
Ask about the granola, it should be fine, since it has never touched cutlery. Use paper or plastic. They will appreciate the effort. Yogurt should be fine. Milk should be fine. Cheese should be fine. Cream cheese or butter if it has never been used. Plastic cutlery or new steel cutlery that has never been used and never touched anything, including the sink. Leave containers sealed, so they can tell that they haven't been cross-contaminated. So the yogurt in the yogurt cup is better than in a bowl.
Basically treat anything that has ever touched meat as if it as a problem, unless it's 100% pure glass (pyrex is not pure glass, for example). So anything newly manufactered is fine. If you can't find bread, you can find kosher crackers. But make sure you have something that is bread/crackers on the table for them.
Those who are extremely religious wash their hands and can't talk until they have said a prayer and eaten some bread or other food, but bread is the all encompassing prayer, so it cuts down on the prayers you have to say.

You told them. So let them worry about it. You can never be a kosher kitchen. I wouldn't go to any more trouble.

Uh you are NOT a Kosher kitchen. You are a gentile. Go figure.
A leader from Israel (whom I happen to adore but will remain nameless, and this was whilst living in the PacNorthwet a dozen years ago) stayed with a good friend of mine and she was so cute, she was totally stressed as you can imagin, she finally just asked him what he would prefer she make? And he being accustomed to the non kosher kitchens simply said THIS. I laugh about it to this day and thought how awesome that was! She got off easy, that is for sure! She made it for everyone and noone said a thing about it.
chef.gif

My sister has some friends who are very striked Kosher but they are ok with her cos she is a vegan (ie pans never touched meat of any kind) and they bring paper plates and cutlery. How about cereal in a sealed box with a brand new plastic bowl and plastic cuttlery? We get yogurt in sealed tubs so that would be ok , fruit how about a smoothie but it depends if you have ever had meat in it though.

My sister has some friends who are very striked Kosher but they are ok with her cos she is a vegan (ie pans never touched meat of any kind) and they bring paper plates and cutlery. How about cereal in a sealed box with a brand new plastic bowl and plastic cuttlery? We get yogurt in sealed tubs so that would be ok , fruit how about a smoothie but it depends if you have ever had meat in it though..
Everything up to the smoothie is great. The blender is the problem for the smoothie.

A leader from Israel (whom I happen to adore but will remain nameless, and this was whilst living in the PacNorthwet a dozen years ago) stayed with a good friend of mine and she was so cute, she was totally stressed as you can imagin, she finally just asked him what he would prefer she make? And he being accustomed to the non kosher kitchens simply said THIS. I laugh about it to this day and thought how awesome that was! She got off easy, that is for sure! She made it for everyone and noone said a thing about it.
chef.gif
I'm the 'token Gentile' at my friend's synagogue. The rabbi asks her if I'm coming to their religious studies class.
And I always thought those hot dogs had the best ad...'We answer to a Higher Authority'. Those are the ones I would buy!

chef.gif
I'm the 'token Gentile' at my friend's synagogue. The rabbi asks her if I'm coming to their religious studies class.
And I always thought those hot dogs had the best ad...'We answer to a Higher Authority'. Those are the ones I would buy!
I very seldom eat a hot dog, but when we bbq for a holiday, those are the ones I use.

The one and only time we had someone request "kosher" under special needs (and that's all they put), I wrote back to explain we could not accommodate them as we have one tiny kitchen. All they ended up wanting was no pork, and no dairy and meat together. So just ask and see what they say, it would be ridiculous to worry about using plastic, buying special dishes, etc. This is not happening for these folks anywhere else outside their own kitchen, so don't sweat it.

The one and only time we had someone request "kosher" under special needs (and that's all they put), I wrote back to explain we could not accommodate them as we have one tiny kitchen. All they ended up wanting was no pork, and no dairy and meat together. So just ask and see what they say, it would be ridiculous to worry about using plastic, buying special dishes, etc. This is not happening for these folks anywhere else outside their own kitchen, so don't sweat it..
Agree, they may not be strict kosher but easily satisfied with a just a kosher product.

Ya know what, if I saw that as a note on a reservation I would guess they were just saying NO PORK. Seriousely, otherwise "this ain't an airline" comes to mind. Here is your bag of pretzels . :)
Oh and remember my friend who can't eat the pretzel chips in the "chex mix" as they have anchovy somewhere in the ingredients, under "Worcestershire sauce." But good news, you can buy it anchovy free now (if you want to make a bloody mary etc). Not gluten free tho as they use vinegar made from malt, which is made from grain. So also no good at Passover.
You can't win for losin!
Repeat after me "I am not your dietition" bring your own food if you have a special diet. mozaltov
cheers.gif

I have had the kosher remark several times in an online reservation. Don't worry about it! All they ever wanted was no pork and do not mix dairy & meat together. No one has ever asked me to use paper or plastic ware or to prepare it in glass containers.
If someone was really orthodox and had to have the extreme kosher kitchen, they would not be booking with you. They would be looking for a truely kosher kitchen and experience.

Which is why I suggested that your contact them to clarify. My father is orthodox. We served him breakfast, all packaged, all plastic, etc. But we have had clients that just want no pork or preferably vegetarian... though I have never seen my father turn down some good herring or lox :)

Which is why I suggested that your contact them to clarify. My father is orthodox. We served him breakfast, all packaged, all plastic, etc. But we have had clients that just want no pork or preferably vegetarian... though I have never seen my father turn down some good herring or lox :).
He called to make the rez. He said to not worry. I'm just trying to be able to offer something without calling and making it sound like I'm going to do a lot of extra work. (I'm not.) But if a yogurt and cereal will work and a bowl of fruit, then we can all be happy.

Which is why I suggested that your contact them to clarify. My father is orthodox. We served him breakfast, all packaged, all plastic, etc. But we have had clients that just want no pork or preferably vegetarian... though I have never seen my father turn down some good herring or lox :).
He called to make the rez. He said to not worry. I'm just trying to be able to offer something without calling and making it sound like I'm going to do a lot of extra work. (I'm not.) But if a yogurt and cereal will work and a bowl of fruit, then we can all be happy.
If he said not to worry, then he just wants kosher style. You are fine.
I took my father to Las Vegas. Often breakfast was some bread and yogurt from the supermarket, because there just wasn't always a place to go for breakfast that was kosher. Dinner there were a few places and I think that in the four of five days that we were in Vegas, we hit them all.

We have had a number of observant jewish people in the lodge, and our rule of thumb is no meat at breakfast. Last Christmas, an extended family, who had been our guests before, essentially bought out the lodge and had a family party. Children were running everywhere; they sang the shabbos hymns
We also had some gentiles in the lodge, and we put out a plate of bacon for them on the breakfast buffet. Well, grandma from New Jersey proceeded to chow-down on it, and Julie and I were in the kitchen in horrors. "Do you suppose she thought it was turkey?" But daughter-in-law explained that grandma figured, with Colorado being 2000 miles away, none of her neighbors would know!
And don't even get me started on the time, before we bought the B&B, but had a muslim student living with us, that Julie accidently fed him pork green chile....
Tom

My DH used to work in bog hotels doing jewish weddings and the number of people he saw chowing down on bacon on those mornings you would not believe! Most people are a bit more flexible when they are away

And why I really try to not get wound up about these things...NONE of the party of 4 show up for breakfast.

Back