Lactose Intolerant

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copperhead

Reaction score
I have a lactose Intolerant guest checking in and have stated that butter is ok but can not eat milk cheese, sour cream etc. This is the second time have seen this exception.

Charlie, can you explain?

Butter is mostly fat...very little lactose in it to cause problems.

Do you want reality? Lactose is a sugar. If they can tolerate low lactose items, then aged cheese, cottage/ricotta, kefir, processed cheese, sherbet, yogourt should all be fine. Butter and cream cheese should also be fine.
Avoid standard, evaporated or condensed milk, cream, buttermilk, cheese spreads or cheese food (Kraft slices or Velveta are cheese food), powdered milk, whey, etc.
Most people don't know what does and doesn't have lactose, so they assume that all milk products do. They do, but the amount can be negligible. But you can always buy "lactose free" versions, even cream is now coming in lactose free in some areas. Those who aren't lactose free won't even notice that the milk sugar (lactose) has been broken up into regular sugars that can easily be digested. That's what "lactaid" does, it breaks down the lactose into more easily digestible sugars.

lightbulb.gif
I have been enlightened. Thanks!

Still, the best one this year for us is the corn allergy. We've had that about 4 times this summer. First time ever.
We have to read all the labels on any prepared mixes. And juices. And, sadly, jam. We finally found a jam with no HFCS. But only in orange.

Daughter is lactose intolerant. She can usually tolerate butter and parmesan cheese which is very common for those with lactose issues.

Still, the best one this year for us is the corn allergy. We've had that about 4 times this summer. First time ever.
We have to read all the labels on any prepared mixes. And juices. And, sadly, jam. We finally found a jam with no HFCS. But only in orange..
Corn is in there with soy... allergies we can't handle. Sorry.

We have to read all the labels on any prepared mixes. And juices. And, sadly, jam. We finally found a jam with no HFCS. But only in orange..
Charlie said:
And, of course, they are late so no chance of discussing this before breakfast. I guess I need to call anyone who only says one word about their allergy.
Another one stated no gluten. Two days ago that went to celiac. That's a huge jump in what we need to think about. No gluten is simple. Celiac is completely different food from everyone else. Nothing touching. Different pans. Etc.

Charlie said:
And, of course, they are late so no chance of discussing this before breakfast. I guess I need to call anyone who only says one word about their allergy.
Another one stated no gluten. Two days ago that went to celiac. That's a huge jump in what we need to think about. No gluten is simple. Celiac is completely different food from everyone else. Nothing touching. Different pans. Etc.
Celiac..sorry we can't handle your allergy. No guarantees here.

Charlie said:
Which is why we send replies back to those who say GF.
We handle it with frozen product, a special toaster or hard boiled eggs, which can't get cross contaminated.

Charlie said:
Then, when I pointed out the GF foods we have available with no cross contam - 'Oh, that's something else I can't eat.' Beat head against fridge.

Charlie said:
Then, when I pointed out the GF foods we have available with no cross contam - 'Oh, that's something else I can't eat.' Beat head against fridge.
Which is why sometimes it's best to just let them go elsewhere. You aren't required to feed someone who has a special diet. You can draw a line and give them back the deposit and let them find more suitable digs.

Maybe that's why you get the special snowflakes, everyone else in town has learnt to let them go and call you....

Charlie said:
Which is why sometimes it's best to just let them go elsewhere. You aren't required to feed someone who has a special diet. You can draw a line and give them back the deposit and let them find more suitable digs.

Maybe that's why you get the special snowflakes, everyone else in town has learnt to let them go and call you....
Charlie said:
We are probably the only place that still has an issue with cooking for these folks. Everyone else has their go-to meals and that's what they do. One place has a chef who can make anything without the stress. It's not a problem if we have some warning and we don't have 5 separate issues for one breakfast.
But when we find out a couple of days before and then AT breakfast that 'oh, I can't eat that, either,' that we're stuck looking stoopid when we can't whip up something.

Charlie said:

Charlie said:
We are probably the only place that still has an issue with cooking for these folks. Everyone else has their go-to meals and that's what they do. One place has a chef who can make anything without the stress. It's not a problem if we have some warning and we don't have 5 separate issues for one breakfast.
But when we find out a couple of days before and then AT breakfast that 'oh, I can't eat that, either,' that we're stuck looking stoopid when we can't whip up something.
Then let them go elsewhere and have a quieter life. Someone else will book the room! Instead of worrying about everyone who wants you to bend over for them so they can give you just one more quick kick, just tell them that here, here and here does that diet, we can't. If they really wanted to stay at your place, they will, otherwise, some other nice people will fill the room.

Charlie said:
You need to simplify this for yourself if you're going to accept these guests so that you don't drive yourself crazy and can still make the money.
Although I'm a great cook willing to go out of my way for allergies and craft an exact version of what I'm serving for the GF and DF people, there are just some times when I don't want too (probably days that my arthritis is acting up). So this is my standard now unless I feel like making something else: I keep Udi's GF bread in the freezer and they get two pieces of that with 3 scrambled eggs. I ask if they want 1 of my 3 cheeses that I typically have on hand and put a few chopped chives on it. That's it, easy for me.
If someone sends you an email that they are GF then reply back that this is your GF option for them. If they are a celiac and you want to deal with that, then you can pickup a toaster at Walmart for like $10 that only has GF bread or waffles in it, then put it away in a bag for the next celiac. Same thing for a small frying pan. But in 10 years I've only had one celiac and I told her that I didn't have a separate toaster oven but that I would pull out the grates and run them through the dishwasher again, same as with a frying pan. She was fine with it. Since most everyone is a choice or slightly intolerant, using the same toaster oven and frying pans is fine. But I would definitely send back the email that this is what they will be having and leave it at that. Sounding too accommodating can often send them on a string of endless requests.

I believe B&Bs are getting more and more of the dietary needy people because we are known to go to greater lengths to be hospitable.
With the needs becoming more and more wide spread it has become harder to be able to provide for every need. And with many not providing the info ahead of time (like when booking) we can only do so much when it is sprung on us at the table.
Many of these people don't think much about it. They are so use to preparing their own meals they think we can do it too without thinking that we are serving 10, 14, etc other people.

Oh, and BTW I made my lactose intolerant guest a homemade biscuit made with coconut milk which he drooled over then doctored with butter and our own honey.
He said it was the first biscuit he has had in over 15 yrs and thought he was in heaven.

We have a little note on our policies page that says if you have dietary needs it is very helpful if you tell us what you CAN eat in addition to what you CANNOT eat. The lactose allergy/intolerance is very variable, some can handle cheddar cheese (because of the way it's processed) and if it's baked it's okay too because that "kills" the lactose. It basically comes down to "What do you normally eat for breakfast?".

Back