Lady bug, Lady bug, fly away home...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaisyMae

Reaction score
I don't know if this has ever been brought up or if anyone else even has this issue but...this time of year we start battling the ladybugs. i don't know where they comefrom but, i swear, i can catch one & 5 more appear! Granted there are other bugs i would not want even more but these "ladies" drive me nuts! total count for yesterday: 41 ladies on 2 sunny windows in a suite. Today's tally: 23 so far...oh, wait, i see a straggler in the hallway who must have wondered away from the group. gotta go!
if any of you have this recurring yearly problem, what do you do?

Yes, it's that time of year, hibernation is setting in. I found one today on the counter with the coffee. They haven't invaded the guest rooms yet. They come in anyplace they can, but generally right where you find them...on the windowsills. They will come in around any windows that are not caulked properly.
Solutions...vacuum. Optional solution...catch them and put them in a container in your fridge until Spring, then release them. (Caveat: everytime I post that everyone else say, 'Ewwwwww, just vacuum them up and throw them out, which is why I started with 'vacuum' this time.)

yeah, i vacuum them everytime i see them or grab a tissue, squish em & throw em away. Our house is very well maintained as far as condition of windows, etc. i know thgey can get in no matter what...i just did not know if maybe someone had a really unique technique for dealling with them. i would much rather have the "ladies" as opposed to say, spiders or termites or something...knock on wood!

yeah, i vacuum them everytime i see them or grab a tissue, squish em & throw em away. Our house is very well maintained as far as condition of windows, etc. i know thgey can get in no matter what...i just did not know if maybe someone had a really unique technique for dealling with them. i would much rather have the "ladies" as opposed to say, spiders or termites or something...knock on wood!.
mollysmom said:
yeah, i vacuum them everytime i see them or grab a tissue, squish em & throw em away. Our house is very well maintained as far as condition of windows, etc. i know thgey can get in no matter what...i just did not know if maybe someone had a really unique technique for dealling with them. i would much rather have the "ladies" as opposed to say, spiders or termites or something...knock on wood!
It'll be on the sunny side of the house that they come in. Usually western/southwestern-facing windows. Less likely with newer windows, but with older windows they can get in thru the sashing. They may also come in thru roof vents. It doesn't require much of a hole anywhere for them to get in.

A known saying that we were brought up with -- "lady bug, lady bug fly away, your house is on fire and your children are away". remember?
We are getting hammered by ladybugs (in new york, where are you?).
I see them on the curtains now. I think they are the most amazing things -- with their red bodies and their black spots.

If they are what we have been infested with, they are not ladybugs. They are a beetle that was introduced for some reason that I cannot remember. We do not squish ours as they STINK! Do not just vacuum them. Vacuum then remove and burn the bag. They will live in that vac bag. My cousin in Ohio had an entire wall of ner kitchen covered with them. What makes that so unusual is that they had a pole barn for the apple orchard and when they finally gave up on the orchard as a failure, her husband built their house inside the pole barn with garage on each end. Doesn't look like much outside, but inside? Wow! She did the vac & burn and told me that is the only way.

oh. i'm pretty positive they are ladybugs.they are the ones i have seen my whole life growing up. i just don't want guests to think anything negative. i keep my eyes peeled all day long for them. i know it's just a passing phase & they will disappear but while these ladies visiting are getting on my nerves. but still, i've had a few guests who got on my nerves even more!

oh. i'm pretty positive they are ladybugs.they are the ones i have seen my whole life growing up. i just don't want guests to think anything negative. i keep my eyes peeled all day long for them. i know it's just a passing phase & they will disappear but while these ladies visiting are getting on my nerves. but still, i've had a few guests who got on my nerves even more!.
Yup, it's just a passing phase. I wouldn't vaccuum them up. They are here for a week or two. And, I absolutely love when they show up. Brings back memories.

oh. i'm pretty positive they are ladybugs.they are the ones i have seen my whole life growing up. i just don't want guests to think anything negative. i keep my eyes peeled all day long for them. i know it's just a passing phase & they will disappear but while these ladies visiting are getting on my nerves. but still, i've had a few guests who got on my nerves even more!.
Yup, it's just a passing phase. I wouldn't vaccuum them up. They are here for a week or two. And, I absolutely love when they show up. Brings back memories.
trishany said:
An infestation in a guest room should be cleared away, tho, even if we choose to leave them alone in our own space. Either by vacuuming or scooping and tossing. Not every guest would welcome a window full of 'bugs'. Especially those who do not know what these bugs are! I'm not sure lady bugs are everywhere in the world and there are a lot of international travelers here right now. All anyone would need is a couple of ladybugs on a bed scare a guest into thinking 'that's a bed bug'.
We used to say, 'Lady bug, lady bug fly away home, your house is on fire and your children are alone.'

trishany said:
An infestation in a guest room should be cleared away, tho, even if we choose to leave them alone in our own space. Either by vacuuming or scooping and tossing. Not every guest would welcome a window full of 'bugs'. Especially those who do not know what these bugs are! I'm not sure lady bugs are everywhere in the world and there are a lot of international travelers here right now. All anyone would need is a couple of ladybugs on a bed scare a guest into thinking 'that's a bed bug'.
We used to say, 'Lady bug, lady bug fly away home, your house is on fire and your children are alone.'
We have screens in each room. So, they can't get into the guest rooms, i.e. no infestation, no scare of "bed bugs". They fly to the house siding, not screens. Thousands of them.
I saw some that flew into our room and were on the curtains. I just thought "well here they are for a few weeks, they are awesome, and leave them alone".

i was always told they are a sign of good luck!? if it was my own home solely i would not be as bothered by them.i would still catch them, squish them, vacuum them, as i do now. it just makes me a little paranoid that someone would say "ooh, they had bugs there" "the place is not clean" etc. many people are fairly easy going but there's always that one that could/ would turn it into a huge deal.

We have them here in Ohio, but I've been pretty lucky with this house. My sister (who lives in the country) gets a lot more of them. We've been battling the spiders, especially in the basement which is our quarters. I'm just grateful not to have had too much in the guestrooms... as has already been said, they may be yearly, they may be cute, they may be harmless, but to a guest who's not from here they are BUGS.
=)
Kk.

We have them here in Ohio, but I've been pretty lucky with this house. My sister (who lives in the country) gets a lot more of them. We've been battling the spiders, especially in the basement which is our quarters. I'm just grateful not to have had too much in the guestrooms... as has already been said, they may be yearly, they may be cute, they may be harmless, but to a guest who's not from here they are BUGS.
=)
Kk..
THey are not ladybugs..they are Multil Colored Asian Lady Beetles...totally different. Here's info for you. Printable Factsheet

the area i am originally from is farm country (potatoes). some years if there was an especially bad problem with aphids on the taters farmers would release scores of the "ladies" to get the aphids.

Thanks Catlady. I am sending that info to my Mom as she gets hit BAD with them. We have one side of the house that gets them and they come into one or two rooms, but not super bad like she has.

the "ladies" visiting us look like the red ones in the upper right hand corner.
(sorry for all the typos in my posts...i am normally a spelling nitpicker & when i looked back at some of my conversations i was amazed how many wrong buttons i must have pushed & not realized it. i'm a great speller just not a great typer!)

Back