Lady Bugs!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
It got warm today and they have hatched...am sitting in the backyard now literally getting swarmed, they are just everywhere!

beetles!!! everywhere!!! I just I'M'd dh at work as said "I sure hope guests don't think we are infested with bugs!" Sure we can spray poison everywhere and then have that PLUS dead bugs and then more new bugs...there is no way around these beetles, the porch is warm and snuggly to them...

Asian Lady Beetles and YES..this is the time of year for them...now that we had our first frost and the weather warmed up again today. Do a search here as I have posted the information about them several times over the past year.
Hey beetles are better than mice. I know a place where the mice are taking over:-( Eeewwww they are catching them faster than they can set up traps.

Asian Lady Beetles and YES..this is the time of year for them...now that we had our first frost and the weather warmed up again today. Do a search here as I have posted the information about them several times over the past year.
Hey beetles are better than mice. I know a place where the mice are taking over:-( Eeewwww they are catching them faster than they can set up traps..
can't be as bad as the outback

Hey beetles are better than mice. I know a place where the mice are taking over:-( Eeewwww they are catching them faster than they can set up traps..
that's awful. who's got meeces?
My hired assassin from Orkin takes good care of me and the cottages. But he also destroys all the work the spiders do and kills them as well. I love spiders and bugs

My hired assassin from Orkin takes good care of me and the cottages. But he also destroys all the work the spiders do and kills them as well. I love spiders and bugs
Spiders...ugh...if they're big enough to grow hair, they're too big!
The big beachfront hotel I worked at in Traverse City had a real spider problem. Every day they got knocked down or sprayed, and the next day the waterside balconies were just covered with them (I think it was either spring or fall). All different types, shapes and sizes. Guests were freaked out, and so was I!

Spiders...ugh...if they're big enough to grow hair, they're too big!
The big beachfront hotel I worked at in Traverse City had a real spider problem. Every day they got knocked down or sprayed, and the next day the waterside balconies were just covered with them (I think it was either spring or fall). All different types, shapes and sizes. Guests were freaked out, and so was I!
and that led you to quit and open your own place where you could make dang sure those spiders would not build homes?
Just kidding. I am in that mood today.
embaressed_smile.gif

Don't kill them! They eat other bugs, and they are cute too!!!.
InnsiderInfo said:
Don't kill them! They eat other bugs, and they are cute too!!!
well, some people might think they are cute but others will think 'bugs .. dirty place'
someone suggested vacuming them up with the shop vac then blowing them out elsewhere. don't know if they're good bugs or bad bugs. but they can't be crawling down the walls onto the breakfast tables. i had someone open a screen to take pictures out her window. left the screen and window open .... in hopped a bug and 100 friends. nononono

Our area is infested with stink bugs this year. We have been fortunate to only have a few get inside the Inn so far, and I don't seem to have the right receptors to smell them so it doesn't bother me to get rid of them. They are driving some B&B owners crazy - right, tedwin?

stink bugs bite too! They have been getting into our vehicles this year.

Our area is infested with stink bugs this year. We have been fortunate to only have a few get inside the Inn so far, and I don't seem to have the right receptors to smell them so it doesn't bother me to get rid of them. They are driving some B&B owners crazy - right, tedwin?.
I think they only stink if you squish them. They only live for 48 hours and are only active during the heat of the day (that might be true for the lady bugs as well) so at least that limits them a bit.

Our area is infested with stink bugs this year. We have been fortunate to only have a few get inside the Inn so far, and I don't seem to have the right receptors to smell them so it doesn't bother me to get rid of them. They are driving some B&B owners crazy - right, tedwin?.
I think they only stink if you squish them. They only live for 48 hours and are only active during the heat of the day (that might be true for the lady bugs as well) so at least that limits them a bit.
They also spray stink if you try to pick them up. I grab them by their long anntenae and throw them outside.

InnsiderInfo said:
It got warm today and they have hatched...am sitting in the backyard now literally getting swarmed, they are just everywhere!
Me too! They're everywhere! Its like a ladybug bomb went off!
I can't even open the front door without a bunch coming in.

I battled those darn bugs for 2 years when I had just finished building my house in Ohio. I was also fighting Cluster Flies at the same time. I finally figured out that they start in the yard - kill the grubs and they don't proliferate. After 2 years of losing the battle to the flies and those Asian beetles, I started treating the lawn a couple of times per year with Grub-X. I never had the Asian beetles or Cluster Flies again.

YUP...w've been there this is what we did:
The first year we did not know what in the world they were, but our guest house and main house where infested with them...to the point that the ceilings in the rooms where MOVING. We went on line and this is what got rid of them...killing them. Yes if you smush them they stink, and yes they also bite, if you vacum them and don't empty the bag..they stink
Only way to kill and keep them away from the inside of your Inn is a pestacide. Yea, its not very enviromental, but itsbetter than guests sleeping with these Asian Lady beetles, they look like our friendly lady beetle but they are not they where brought here by some stupid government agency to eat and control wooly ageaid, but what they didn't figure is that They have no known predetor in the USA, not even birds will eat them and this includes other bugs, frogs, spiders etc. Meaning they will not go away. They will try to get into your house, Inn, cottege, building any way they can so that they can hibernate until spring when they try to find a way OUT of the house starting the whole process again.
OK...this is what we did.
For the outside of the building find any concentrate with the primary active ingrediate deltamethrin or cyrpamethrin. Mix it in a simple weed or deck sprayer and spray outside of the building paying close attention to the southwest side of the bulding which is where they congregate in the heat of the afternoon and like it where the sun is the hottest on the building perfering light colored buildings, white, yellow...they do not like dark buildings.
For the inside of house, use any arisole spray with the same ingredients, pay attention to: Crown molding, floor molding and windows. If you check your attic in the winter and you see what looks like a beehive it could be hibernating lady beetles you can use deltamethirin powder. The trick to keep them away is not to squish them, do not make them stink because the stink brings more of them.
Both these chemicals are long lasting contact incecticides, they generaly last 4-6 weeks depending on the weather. If you spray your house in the last week in Sept, all you have to worry about is sweeping them up outside the house.
We havent had them visit this year yet. The key is watching your area and as soon as you see them spray the outside of your house. If you usually get them in October spray the outside of your house in Sept. They are usually worse in warm wet summers than in cool summers. Havent had any yet....knocking on wood that we don't.
Good luck.

Back