language barrier

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Accents vary within even one county due to socio-economic factors, racial factors, and education.
Our county has a VERY STRONG southern accent. Very identifiable as well.
One part is the very deep extremely manly Virginian accent with soft R's. On the ladies it is appears as the soft genteel Southern Belle. Very sexy in both instances. (depending on your pref). When I met our banker after moving here - only speaking on the phone, he had this deep Virginian sexy accent. He was a short bald man. He had a booming voice. It was like a DJ or something...in person, NOT.
The other is the local county accent that sounds speeded up and crumpled into a paper sack, then hack out a few teeth due to too much sweet tea. NO IDEA half of what they are saying.
People say southuhners speak slow, not around here they don't, way too fast! On the phone, I DO NOT HAVE A CLUE what they are saying. In fact got a call from a Dane Smith. Dane. Heard it clearly. I asked him to spell it, D-E-A-N.
I was night shift computer operator and he was day shift shop floor foreman. He would call to find out when the computer system would be up or were his reports ready or did the day shift screw up so he could write a PR or was it my shift (no problem report). He had a voice to die for. I had all sorts of thoughts and images!
Then he came to the computer room one day. I was devastated! He was about 5' tall, skinny, with a "Dutch boy" type haircut. The voice was wasted!!!!

Shucks! I have had folks from the good ol' USA that I needed an interpreter to understand!.
Folks from Alabama, I'm sure
wink_smile.gif

OOOOooo, that sounds like the folks fom West Virginia who talk about the lawyer that moved from West Virginia to Kentucky and raised the intelligence quotient of both States.
I do OK with those who paaak their caaaaar, dem from Brooklyn & Da Bronx can be interesting, and I have learned to understand the North Carolina dialect thanks to a friendship with someone from there.
We can pick on them...all our Alabama friends say that it's so
angel_smile.gif

Accents vary within even one county due to socio-economic factors, racial factors, and education.
One part is the very deep extremely manly Virginian accent with soft R's. On the ladies it is appears as the soft genteel Southern Belle. Very sexy in both instances. (depending on your pref). When I met our banker after moving here - only speaking on the phone, he had this deep Virginian sexy accent. He was a short bald man. He had a booming voice. It was like a DJ or something...in person, NOT.
The other is the local county accent that sounds speeded up and crumpled into a paper sack, then hack out a few teeth due to too much sweet tea. NO IDEA half of what they are saying.
People say southuhners speak slow, not around here they don't, way too fast! On the phone, I DO NOT HAVE A CLUE what they are saying. In fact got a call from a Dane Smith. Dane. Heard it clearly. I asked him to spell it, D-E-A-N.
People from Alabama speak faster than any people that I've ever met...I have to interpret for my dh. It is NOT funny! Rapid speech with a thick Alabama accent is like its own version of the English/American language. haha! And they will tell you so, too
regular_smile.gif

People from Alabama speak faster than any people that I've ever met...I have to interpret for my dh. It is NOT funny! Rapid speech with a thick Alabama accent is like its own version of the English/American language. haha! And they will tell you so, too
regular_smile.gif

Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
Talladega Talk. It's all about the speed.

regular_smile.gif

Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
Talladega Talk. It's all about the speed.
Perhaps you are correct
wink_smile.gif

Back