lanier's online destination guide

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooseTrax

Reaction score
we've been approached to join lanier as they are doing a destination article on this area. has anyone else's town been highlighted and did it do you any good that you know of? not asking of the usual lanier listing helps, just if your town has been highlihgted and ig it did any good immediately or down the road.

My town has never been profiled (I just went and looked) so I'd be interested in any info anyone has on how this works/doesn't work.

They are fighting for their livlihood here...trying to come up with any gimmick that will get them back on top...and cost you more money...and make more for them. I wouldn't waste my money.

They are fighting for their livlihood here...trying to come up with any gimmick that will get them back on top...and cost you more money...and make more for them. I wouldn't waste my money..
catlady said:
They are fighting for their livlihood here...trying to come up with any gimmick that will get them back on top...and cost you more money...and make more for them. I wouldn't waste my money.
I looked at towns in my state that had been profiled. I'd wonder who wrote that stuff and where they got their info. It sounds like it was cribbed from various tour books. Not written from a personal perspective of someone actually doing the things they wrote about.

I was called this past January when I did not renew and told they were doing some new things to draw more visitors to their site and to my listing. This was one of their plugs as the big city near me was being highlighted. I declined and said I would be watching to see how they improve their marketing and if I saw it had improved I would reconsider.
So now your post inticed me to do a little search. They have a nice write up on this Big city near me - a very popular tourist town BTW, and there are 22 B&B's listed on their site IN the city...I know of about 45 legit B&B's in the city, so lets just say they have about 1/2. Now one of the reasons to even have this Destination guide is to help drive a higher generic listing on Google for that city. I just did a Google search for big city bed and breakfast - and lanier sites do not show up in the first 10 pages and I gave up. - No sponsored listings either! This is sad!!!
If you are interested, I would do a search to see how the site is currently doing in your area. Call some B&B's that are listed - maybe in another market city that has been highlighted as a destination on their site. See if they mention any difference in traffic since the addition.

They are fighting for their livlihood here...trying to come up with any gimmick that will get them back on top...and cost you more money...and make more for them. I wouldn't waste my money..
catlady said:
I looked at towns in my state that had been profiled. I'd wonder who wrote that stuff and where they got their info. It sounds like it was cribbed from various tour books. Not written from a personal perspective of someone actually doing the things they wrote about.
Bree - that was the same feeling I got when I read on the destination in my state.

I was called this past January when I did not renew and told they were doing some new things to draw more visitors to their site and to my listing. This was one of their plugs as the big city near me was being highlighted. I declined and said I would be watching to see how they improve their marketing and if I saw it had improved I would reconsider.
So now your post inticed me to do a little search. They have a nice write up on this Big city near me - a very popular tourist town BTW, and there are 22 B&B's listed on their site IN the city...I know of about 45 legit B&B's in the city, so lets just say they have about 1/2. Now one of the reasons to even have this Destination guide is to help drive a higher generic listing on Google for that city. I just did a Google search for big city bed and breakfast - and lanier sites do not show up in the first 10 pages and I gave up. - No sponsored listings either! This is sad!!!
If you are interested, I would do a search to see how the site is currently doing in your area. Call some B&B's that are listed - maybe in another market city that has been highlighted as a destination on their site. See if they mention any difference in traffic since the addition..
looking at the towns they have listed there is only one that has a write up. the only b&bs listed there are almost hotels in size and appearance. i was thinking of emailing them but i think that i wouldn't get an owner to respond given the size of the places. then i did the search you mention and the write up page doesn't show and worse yet none of the b&bs that are listed on the page with the article are even in the lsiting. the page is empty and says 'innkeepers update your listings now'. not a good advert there.

Just goes to show how desperate Lanier is when they have to try and embarass innkeepers into renewing their listings when they were dropped for non-performance.

My disdain for Lanier is personal. I refuse to give one penny of my money to a person who was a PITA to a group in the hospitality industry. Added to that the site did not perform.

There are a few inns in my town on this site but we are not. When I so a search for B&B Charlottesville I gave up looking after page 5. I don't see why I should spend the money on it when it does not come up in searches.
Riki

Back