Last Minute Changes

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Momma Smurf

Reaction score
If someone calls 3 days before a reservation and wants to switch it from a single Friday to a single Monday, would you consider this a cancellation? We have a 14 day Cancellation policy with no refund.

If we had the room on Monday, I would just switch it. Same dollars, different day.
And it frees up a Friday night.

First I would quickly analyze if it would be easier for me to fill a single night on Friday, rather than that Monday. Technically, it's a cancellation in my book, but depending on how busy I am, I would let it slide.
That's a really tough call.

It's going into high season here. I could have booked Friday dozens of times, if we'd have more notice. It is possible that Monday might be full too. Weekend rates are $20 higher also. This guy (think Thurston Howell) has already pulled this stunt before in 2012, called up the day of his reservation for two rooms and said he didn't feel like coming. So I issued him a credit (that can only be used November-May) though he protested. So now he's done this twice. He hung up on me and booked somewhere else for Monday. I still have his money for Friday, but...

It's going into high season here. I could have booked Friday dozens of times, if we'd have more notice. It is possible that Monday might be full too. Weekend rates are $20 higher also. This guy (think Thurston Howell) has already pulled this stunt before in 2012, called up the day of his reservation for two rooms and said he didn't feel like coming. So I issued him a credit (that can only be used November-May) though he protested. So now he's done this twice. He hung up on me and booked somewhere else for Monday. I still have his money for Friday, but....
Momma Smurf said:
It's going into high season here. I could have booked Friday dozens of times, if we'd have more notice. It is possible that Monday might be full too. Weekend rates are $20 higher also. This guy (think Thurston Howell) has already pulled this stunt before in 2012, called up the day of his reservation for two rooms and said he didn't feel like coming. So I issued him a credit (that can only be used November-May) though he protested. So now he's done this twice. He hung up on me and booked somewhere else for Monday. I still have his money for Friday, but...
That info totally changes my position! No way would I let him reschedule! Did he give you a definitive answer on whether he will show up on Fri? If he's not showing, then go ahead and try to rebook it. He loses his credit.

It's going into high season here. I could have booked Friday dozens of times, if we'd have more notice. It is possible that Monday might be full too. Weekend rates are $20 higher also. This guy (think Thurston Howell) has already pulled this stunt before in 2012, called up the day of his reservation for two rooms and said he didn't feel like coming. So I issued him a credit (that can only be used November-May) though he protested. So now he's done this twice. He hung up on me and booked somewhere else for Monday. I still have his money for Friday, but....
Momma Smurf said:
That info totally changes my position! No way would I let him reschedule! Did he give you a definitive answer on whether he will show up on Fri? If he's not showing, then go ahead and try to rebook it. He loses his credit.
Actually, I would not let him use his credit because it is restricted to our off season, so he paid for the room per usual when he made the reservation. He has definitely booked somewhere else (at the Big Box Inn that obviously didn't have any Friday nights left before) and will not be here on Friday, cause, you know, it's AOK for him to simply change his mind. We have never just charged someone no matter the notice. We always issue a credit to be used at OUR discretion, but at this point, am not feeling very charitable.
My thinking is that short notice on a date switch is a Cancellation of a room if we cannot refill it. Try to ask an airline if you can switch your flights,... huge penalties these days.

Momma Smurf said:
Actually, I would not let him use his credit because it is restricted to our off season, so he paid for the room per usual when he made the reservation. He has definitely booked somewhere else (at the Big Box Inn that obviously didn't have any Friday nights left before) and will not be here on Friday, cause, you know, it's AOK for him to simply change his mind. We have never just charged someone no matter the notice. We always issue a credit to be used at OUR discretion, but at this point, am not feeling very charitable.
My thinking is that short notice on a date switch is a Cancellation of a room if we cannot refill it. Try to ask an airline if you can switch your flights,... huge penalties these days.
This guy obviously does not respect you or your business. Keep his money, even if you rebook. You've earned it.

Momma Smurf said:
This guy obviously does not respect you or your business. Keep his money, even if you rebook. You've earned it.
Thanks!!!! 'Tis exactly the way I feel. Just needed to hear from a supporter!

Because he's a repeat offender I would not issue him a credit for this time.
So you will now have how many nights of his money? I'm just trying to figure this out!

That's not a "switch"..that's a cancellation and a re-booking. No way, unless it was a repeat guest and I knew I could rebook it. Keep his money.

So you will now have how many nights of his money? I'm just trying to figure this out!.
$459.00 He is old school rich, so Mr G00gle says. And privileged ie throws a tantrum if he can't get his way. He did say "Just keep my money and your rules" in a huff as he hung up again, after I called back.

You are TOO NICE. Not only would I likely have kept his money, I would put him on a DNB and never take a booking from him again. Don't need him, his trouble or his money. Life is too short.

So you will now have how many nights of his money? I'm just trying to figure this out!.
$459.00 He is old school rich, so Mr G00gle says. And privileged ie throws a tantrum if he can't get his way. He did say "Just keep my money and your rules" in a huff as he hung up again, after I called back.
Momma Smurf said:

Well, thanks for your permission, butthead! I shall! :)

Keep the money. Adjust your cancellation policy to include cut off for adjustments to the reservations. And most important - never take the booking from that person again.

Trying to play you. He reschedules then prob cancels again or something else. Sorry you have to deal with this! Consider the burden it causes vs the fight and make the call.

Keep the money. Adjust your cancellation policy to include cut off for adjustments to the reservations. And most important - never take the booking from that person again..
April said:
Keep the money. Adjust your cancellation policy to include cut off for adjustments to the reservations. And most important - never take the booking from that person again.
"Any changes or cancellations to this reservation...."

Momma Smurf said:
Ah. The guilt trip. But, he said to keep it and that's it. Document it in his file. And never take a booking from him again.
If he books again to use the money from last time tell him it's his deposit and if he cancels it's yours.
We've had to do that with people who keep shifting the rez.

Keep the money. Adjust your cancellation policy to include cut off for adjustments to the reservations. And most important - never take the booking from that person again..
April said:
"Any changes or cancellations to this reservation...."
Thanks! Done. Changes now included in our cancellation policy. After 9 years, 'tis always some narcissist that upsets the apple cart!

Back