Last minute Larry

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
So, when you call at 6PM on a Saturday in the middle of a multi-country holiday weekend, and I suggest a few hotels to you because everything else is full, you might not want to use the snappy comeback that you'd prefer not to get bedbugs staying in one of those cheap hotels.
(BTW, those 'cheap' hotels are charging $250 for tonight.)

We always "try" to help folks who walk up on those weekends when few rooms are available, yet some folks doubt your knowledge and have to learn for themselves. Several yesterday seemed pleased with my suggestion another 15 miles down the road, the last had come from that direction and thought their $80 rate was way too high, pretty sure he turned towards town, the few still showing rooms on TA in town were in your $250 range, but what do I know.

Another innkeeper called me Friday night to see if I had two rooms for three people visiting from Europe. We did. He sent them to us, about a mile from his house. We waited with smiles for about 15 minutes. They arrived, looked at three rooms, asked the rates, had a long conversation with each other and announced they wanted to be closer to town. I simply said ok, let them leave, and locked the door. Shrug.

Many more Last-Minute Larrys than there used to be, it seems. They also usually call early, early in the morning or late, late at night.
Fortunately, all the people I've told no-room-at-the-inn at least understand they screwed up by waiting so late. Fought the urge to ask if they wanted to book for this holiday weekend next year.

Another innkeeper called me Friday night to see if I had two rooms for three people visiting from Europe. We did. He sent them to us, about a mile from his house. We waited with smiles for about 15 minutes. They arrived, looked at three rooms, asked the rates, had a long conversation with each other and announced they wanted to be closer to town. I simply said ok, let them leave, and locked the door. Shrug..
I don't ring round like this for people any more.
I'll happily give visitors details for other local B&Bs but more often than not, and even in high season, I find them a room somewhere else and then they'll either phone up half-an-hour later (on the way to a B&B 5 mins away) and say they've decided x or they wont turn up at all and I'm left looking like a prize chump.

This morning at breakfast guest said they heard the phone ringing constantly last night and was everything ok? I explained it was people calling from the road realizing they might have wanted to book in advance next time they travel in peak season. Wise nods of heads all around.
Even hotels were calling us last night because they had double bookings coming in from Expedia, et al.

This morning at breakfast guest said they heard the phone ringing constantly last night and was everything ok? I explained it was people calling from the road realizing they might have wanted to book in advance next time they travel in peak season. Wise nods of heads all around.
Even hotels were calling us last night because they had double bookings coming in from Expedia, et al..
Morticia said:
Even hotels were calling us last night because they had double bookings coming in from Expedia, et al.
35c.gif

I had a call at 10:56 last night which I did not answer. It was tempting to call them back at 6:00 this morning. Clowns!

4:55AM last night... they are getting more and more stupid.

Your failure to plan does not, for me, an emergency make..
I do say that a lot! (in my head!!!)
For us it seems like folks waiting til the last minute have this "hotel mentality", but want the B&B experience! (book last minute, come in late and go as they please, but still get the special touches of a B&B - that other people plan ahead for and look forward to!)

My favorites right now are folks trying to arrange a last minute wedding ... I suggest an elopement (Gillum house style) or a nice restaurant ... no, I can’t boot others who meet here regularly because you just found us and fell in love with the place and you have your heart set on two weeks from yesterday. Evites to be issued.

Back