Last minute Vegan - I Need tips please!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Animal fat in dryer sheets? You mean there is another breakfast meat item to test? ha ha
Stuff like this makes me want to go Vegan..
Joey Bloggs said:
Animal fat in dryer sheets? You mean there is another breakfast meat item to test? ha ha
Stuff like this makes me want to go Vegan.
I got that info from a vegan, but can't really track down a valid source for info. It seems like eveywhere I look the same article is being quoted. And mostly everyone wants to talk about the carcinogens.
Morticia said:
And mostly everyone wants to talk about the carcinogens.
Which are actually pretty bad - and why I hate hate hate dryer sheets.
Innkeeper To Go said:
Morticia said:
Really? I never knew that !
omg_smile.gif

The Farmers Daughter said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
Morticia said:
omg_smile.gif
Read the MSDS on dryer sheets. All kinds of funky stuff. And a dryer sheet is not something you need. I know we tolerate a lot of stuff in life, but why stuff we don't need?

Joey Bloggs said:
I got that info from a vegan, but can't really track down a valid source for info. It seems like eveywhere I look the same article is being quoted. And mostly everyone wants to talk about the carcinogens.
Morticia said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
Morticia said:
omg_smile.gif

Innkeeper To Go said:
Morticia said:
omg_smile.gif
Read the MSDS on dryer sheets. All kinds of funky stuff. And a dryer sheet is not something you need. I know we tolerate a lot of stuff in life, but why stuff we don't need?
Morticia said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
Morticia said:
omg_smile.gif
What is a non toxic alternative? Guests expect fluffy towels and fresh smelling sheets! I have used dryer sheets for years and never gave it a second thought!
Are some brands worse than others? I use Arm and Hammer who claim to be 'green' and safe.

Joey Bloggs said:
Morticia said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
Morticia said:
omg_smile.gif

Innkeeper To Go said:
Morticia said:
omg_smile.gif
Morticia said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
Morticia said:
omg_smile.gif
What is a non toxic alternative? Guests expect fluffy towels and fresh smelling sheets! I have used dryer sheets for years and never gave it a second thought!
Are some brands worse than others? I use Arm and Hammer who claim to be 'green' and safe.
Towels should get fluffy just being in the dryer vs line-drying. Dryer sheets actually make towels not absorb as well. And I would prefer my towels not smell like anything. Ditto the sheets.
You can search for 'non-toxic dryer sheets' and get a bunch of info. But, like I said, I don't use them so I haven't searched for an alternative. You can go to the Arm & Hammer site and they will have the MSDS on there, somewhere. It MAY be on the box (the list of ingredients) and you can match that up with the online lists of carcinogens in dryer sheets.
You've probably read about my hair-raising static problems in the winter! Good thing I don't have a pacemaker! So I am going to try to find something that works for this winter. Plus, I bought those microfiber blankets that need to be de-staticked before I put them on the beds!
I have a friend who makes laundry sachets but they don't remove static. She says to try vinegar in the wash. Which is what ginocat always used to say as well.

Joey Bloggs said:
Morticia said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
Morticia said:
omg_smile.gif

Innkeeper To Go said:
Morticia said:
omg_smile.gif
Morticia said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
Morticia said:
omg_smile.gif
Towels should get fluffy just being in the dryer vs line-drying. Dryer sheets actually make towels not absorb as well. And I would prefer my towels not smell like anything. Ditto the sheets.
You can search for 'non-toxic dryer sheets' and get a bunch of info. But, like I said, I don't use them so I haven't searched for an alternative. You can go to the Arm & Hammer site and they will have the MSDS on there, somewhere. It MAY be on the box (the list of ingredients) and you can match that up with the online lists of carcinogens in dryer sheets.
You've probably read about my hair-raising static problems in the winter! Good thing I don't have a pacemaker! So I am going to try to find something that works for this winter. Plus, I bought those microfiber blankets that need to be de-staticked before I put them on the beds!
I have a friend who makes laundry sachets but they don't remove static. She says to try vinegar in the wash. Which is what ginocat always used to say as well.
Morticia said:
She says to try vinegar in the wash. Which is what ginocat always used to say as well.
It's what I use. And it does work. Now, Morticia, keep in mind that I am in a different part of the country than you are, and I know that my humidity doesn't get as low as yours in the winter, but it still works just fine.

I never new that about dryer sheets
confused_smile.gif
What about fabric softeners, like Downy? I love the way that smells.

Joey Bloggs said:
Morticia said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
Morticia said:
omg_smile.gif

Innkeeper To Go said:
Morticia said:
omg_smile.gif
Morticia said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
Morticia said:
omg_smile.gif
I also do not use dryer sheets (perfumed) and the towels et nice and fluffy. I do try to let them get just a bit dryer on the line before I put them in the dryer.
As for the static problem - try putting a large safety pin in the item before putting it in the dryer. That should absorb the static,

Joey Bloggs said:
Morticia said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
Morticia said:
omg_smile.gif

Innkeeper To Go said:
Morticia said:
omg_smile.gif
Morticia said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
Morticia said:
omg_smile.gif
I also do not use dryer sheets (perfumed) and the towels et nice and fluffy. I do try to let them get just a bit dryer on the line before I put them in the dryer.
As for the static problem - try putting a large safety pin in the item before putting it in the dryer. That should absorb the static,
gillumhouse said:
A safety pin? How does that work?

confused_smile.gif
What about fabric softeners, like Downy? I love the way that smells..
Country Girl said:
confused_smile.gif
What about fabric softeners, like Downy? I love the way that smells.
Apparently the same issues.
You know, I'm going to try one of those dryer sachets and see if it's too strong for me. If it's ok, I'll post my friend's site and if anyone wants they can check it out. I won't see her this week, so won't be able to do any tests until after the farmer's market next Friday.

Joey Bloggs said:
Morticia said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
Morticia said:
omg_smile.gif

Innkeeper To Go said:
Morticia said:
omg_smile.gif
Morticia said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
Morticia said:
omg_smile.gif
Winter Static .... Oh how I agree. Sometimes I think I'm being melodramatic, but my goodness it's RIDICULOUS. If I need to get up in the middle of the night and it's really dark, all I have to do is pick up a cat and stroke it all the way to the bathroom. The sparks will light the way better than any Coleman Lamp.

Unless you are a restaurant or a spa, you can not be expected to create vegan entrees out of thin air on command.
Some people, jeez....
pita.gif

BTW did she just show up to visit her parents? Was she a paying guest?.
Unless you are a restaurant or a spa, you can not be expected to create vegan entrees out of thin air on command.
Some people, jeez....
pita.gif

BTW did she just show up to visit her parents? Was she a paying guest?
She wasn't on the original reservation, she just showed up to stay with her parents for the last 2 days of their vacation. You bet I charged her!

My husband is chemical sensitive, so we don't use lots of products.
The clothes washing soap we use is from Sams. He opens the tub and puts it in the garage or on the porch for about a month to let the odor evaporate.
Rinse in washer is 1/4 cup vinegar and filled with water.
Dryer we use the dryer balls. Towels are nice and fluffy and absorb well.
Whites are double rinsed in the washer.
This works for him and since he does the B&B laundry, it is done the same way.

Joey Bloggs said:
Morticia said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
Morticia said:
omg_smile.gif

Innkeeper To Go said:
Morticia said:
omg_smile.gif
Morticia said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
Morticia said:
omg_smile.gif
Winter Static .... Oh how I agree. Sometimes I think I'm being melodramatic, but my goodness it's RIDICULOUS. If I need to get up in the middle of the night and it's really dark, all I have to do is pick up a cat and stroke it all the way to the bathroom. The sparks will light the way better than any Coleman Lamp.
The Tipsy Butler said:
Winter Static .... all I have to do is pick up a cat and stroke it all the way to the bathroom.
Ha, Ha! That's my chuckle for the day!

Joey Bloggs said:
Morticia said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
Morticia said:
omg_smile.gif

Innkeeper To Go said:
Morticia said:
omg_smile.gif
Morticia said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
Morticia said:
omg_smile.gif
gillumhouse said:
A safety pin? How does that work?
The metal of the safety pin should ground the static.

Joey Bloggs said:
Morticia said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
Morticia said:
omg_smile.gif

Innkeeper To Go said:
Morticia said:
omg_smile.gif
Morticia said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
Morticia said:
omg_smile.gif
Morticia said:
I use lavender laundry sachets and add 1/4 cup vinegar to the wash. No static, lovely scent. No carcinogens.

Back