Late arrival directions

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bree said:
When you leave a note for late arrivals, what does it say? Do you have one form with all the rooms on it or a separate form for each room? We arrived late the other day and the note was waiting for us. I like the style, much different from mine so I was wondering what others do.
What was the style of the note that you liked?
We tie a not to the door with our number in case they forgot to bring the door code
Then we have a note on the door of their room with their name so they know they are not making a mistake.
RIki.
I put the guest's name on their door as well.
What I liked about the note I got was that it had all the rooms listed on it and that it explained what to do about the lights and how to lock the doors.
Bree said:
What I liked about the note I got was that it had all the rooms listed on it and that it explained what to do about the lights and how to lock the doors.
Thanks for reminding me - a recent adventure away had an inn-room note that stated similar to this "Thank you for being concerned with our power bill and the earth, but liability requires we keep lights on at night" for those who want to switch them off thinking they are last in. We have this occur here and other guests had not even checked in yet! The person who did it was unknown to me at the time and confessed at breakfast by saying "We are energy conscious" and me stating, Good then you will appreciate the bulbs I have burning continuousely, we are safety conscious. He got it after that. He left them on. He kept all his room lights and fans off when they left for the day and I loved that.

Bree said:
When you leave a note for late arrivals, what does it say? Do you have one form with all the rooms on it or a separate form for each room? We arrived late the other day and the note was waiting for us. I like the style, much different from mine so I was wondering what others do.
What was the style of the note that you liked?
We tie a not to the door with our number in case they forgot to bring the door code
Then we have a note on the door of their room with their name so they know they are not making a mistake.
RIki.
Bree said:
Thanks for reminding me - a recent adventure away had an inn-room note that stated similar to this "Thank you for being concerned with our power bill and the earth, but liability requires we keep lights on at night" for those who want to switch them off thinking they are last in. We have this occur here and other guests had not even checked in yet! The person who did it was unknown to me at the time and confessed at breakfast by saying "We are energy conscious" and me stating, Good then you will appreciate the bulbs I have burning continuousely, we are safety conscious. He got it after that. He left them on. He kept all his room lights and fans off when they left for the day and I loved that.
Yes, this note also said to leave all the lights on as we found them. Well, given it was late, I also turned the porch lights on and left them on so I could get back into the house later on. Because I 'do' this for a living, I had an idea what the note might say, but I certainly couldn't read it outside in the dark without the porch lights. There were 2 other envelopes which I figured were later arriving guests who also wouldn't be able to read them. (Those envelopes were there the whole time so I don't know who they were waiting for.)

Saved notes for different rooms and updated at the time to suit the specifics. I have not had a problem doing this at all. I do add on the note that other guests may be sleeping so try and be like little mice and they do seem to behave themselves.
regular_smile.gif

Saved notes for different rooms and updated at the time to suit the specifics. I have not had a problem doing this at all. I do add on the note that other guests may be sleeping so try and be like little mice and they do seem to behave themselves.
regular_smile.gif
ginocat said:
regular_smile.gif
Good point, especially as many guests of ours do not have a car, so it may look like no one is here when someone arrives late.

Good thing I am doing this research now. I'm getting requests for late arrivals all day today. Not for today, but in the future.

I also put info for any music event they might be interested in as well - which there happen to be two tonight within walking distance, just as an fyi should they feel like going.

I also put info for any music event they might be interested in as well - which there happen to be two tonight within walking distance, just as an fyi should they feel like going..
I just redid the letter and made a separate one for each room. All the same with the exception of the actual directions to the room. There is a restaurant where the kitchen is open until 11 PM every night so I added that as well. It's a bit more personal now as there is a 'Dear ____' space where the guest's name will go. Explained how to find us if need be as most will never look at the room book. The guest fridge is now mentioned in case they need to store meds so they keep out of the kitchen. Everything cannot possibly be covered so the hope is they are adult enough to figure it out or ask for help and not create a mess in the meantime.
And for Tim_Toad...I was thinking about this late arrival thing and realized that many of my already checked-in guests do not arrive back at the inn until well after midnight. We have not had the need to coach them on being quiet as we met them during the day and had no idea they would be gone until the wee hours. Sometimes they have not brought their luggage in either. So, new guests or old guests, they may both be quiet or both make noise or the old guests could be noisier than the new guests.
A certain type of guest really should be presented with the full force of the innkeeper no matter when they arrive. Unfortunately, we don't always know who that guest is in advance. So I get what you're trying to do by meeting everyone on arrival.

OK...I'll probably get some flack for this but I think that it's part of my job to greet the late arriving travel weary guest who has dealt with the rudeness of airport security people and possibly airline lost luggage customer service people as well. All of our very late arriving guests have called us and they have even called if they have been delayed even further. I just had this happen with a 4-night stay guest who just checked out today. I actually napped after his last call to let me know that he would probably be here around 1:15 am. He was extremely appreciative to see a friendly face who empathized with his travel ordeals.
My dh on the other hand would feel put out, no matter what. That is why he doesn't greet late arrivals.
I have seriously considered a letter for a late arriving guest if they have asked if we have a late check-in procedure, as that says to me that they are used to it and would be comfortable with it. Do you think that these folks actually read these letters or just grab their key out of the envelope & go to their room?
Now, if you say you're going to be here right at 3pm and I rush around like a maniac to make sure that your room is perfect and all is in order...a few lights on with the TV to the guide channel and your homemade treat is waiting for you in your room...and you then don't show up until the end of our check-in window, I will be a bit peeved.
angry_smile.gif

OK...I'll probably get some flack for this but I think that it's part of my job to greet the late arriving travel weary guest who has dealt with the rudeness of airport security people and possibly airline lost luggage customer service people as well. All of our very late arriving guests have called us and they have even called if they have been delayed even further. I just had this happen with a 4-night stay guest who just checked out today. I actually napped after his last call to let me know that he would probably be here around 1:15 am. He was extremely appreciative to see a friendly face who empathized with his travel ordeals.
My dh on the other hand would feel put out, no matter what. That is why he doesn't greet late arrivals.
I have seriously considered a letter for a late arriving guest if they have asked if we have a late check-in procedure, as that says to me that they are used to it and would be comfortable with it. Do you think that these folks actually read these letters or just grab their key out of the envelope & go to their room?
Now, if you say you're going to be here right at 3pm and I rush around like a maniac to make sure that your room is perfect and all is in order...a few lights on with the TV to the guide channel and your homemade treat is waiting for you in your room...and you then don't show up until the end of our check-in window, I will be a bit peeved.
angry_smile.gif
Do you think that these folks actually read these letters or just grab their key out of the envelope & go to their room?
I am a grab the keys and run person. That said, I also wait up for my guests to arrive - caveat, I only have 3 rooms. I learned to survived on very little sleep as the 2-legged animals were growing up with me on graveyard shift and them having field trips to be chaperoned and holiday parties to be done and games to attend.
I want to greet them on the porch, tell them what they need to know and find out breakfast time BEFORE they come in and I request a quiet entry so as to not disturb others.

angry_smile.gif
Samster said:
angry_smile.gif
What would you do: We have received an invite to a wedding July 18th (not a relative, but a friend locally) and would like to attend. That is a Saturday. The wedding begins at 4pm. What would you do? I have no idea at this point if we will have any new check ins on Saturday (chances are, yes), but we would like to attend. S.O. already suggested we do a self check in and explain to guests the reason. At this point, we need to reply with our rsvp either way. This could be one of those days when they guests show up at 9pm and we could have gone anyway, or it could be no one new checks in and everyone is gone all day and most of the early evening. OR, we could have 6 rooms check in (if that happened we could not go).

angry_smile.gif
Because I think you and I get a different sort of late arrival, as in your late arrivals seem to keep you informed but not so much that you can't nap, either option would work for you. My late arrivals, for the most part, are just late. No call, no info, just not here by the time I put my jammies on (9 PM). IF they arrive before hubs is sound asleep, he will get the door if we hear the car.
As to the reading of THAT particular letter, I'd say, YES, they read that letter much more than any other printed matter they come across. Why? Because they need to read it to open the door and find their room and because it involves their feeding in the morning. They want to know when they're going to eat next!
The only people I'd worry about with a late arrival would be my lemmings. These are guests who always stay in the same room. They gravitate toward that room. Even if that is NOT the room they got this time!
One guest stood knocking at 'her' door for 5 minutes trying to wake her husband before she came and got me for the key. I got the key for the room she was in, not the room she was knocking at and she almost died of embarrassment.

angry_smile.gif
Samster said:
angry_smile.gif
What would you do: We have received an invite to a wedding July 18th (not a relative, but a friend locally) and would like to attend. That is a Saturday. The wedding begins at 4pm. What would you do? I have no idea at this point if we will have any new check ins on Saturday (chances are, yes), but we would like to attend. S.O. already suggested we do a self check in and explain to guests the reason. At this point, we need to reply with our rsvp either way. This could be one of those days when they guests show up at 9pm and we could have gone anyway, or it could be no one new checks in and everyone is gone all day and most of the early evening. OR, we could have 6 rooms check in (if that happened we could not go).
A couple of options on that one...
  • One spouse goes to the wedding (like we did this weekend with hubs going to his brother's wedding reception, along with everything else). If it's near enough, the other spouse (you) could arrive for the reception after the check ins)
  • Find someone local who will greet guests and show them their rooms and give the intro
  • Have a 2-night min with no check-ins on Sat
  • Do the self check-in.
Personally, this last would bother me a bit in case I had questions. We had a self check-in 2 weeks ago but it was ok as we knew where we were and were just going to go see family, we weren't strangers to the area.
I guess it really depends on the type of guest you get. Self sufficient or needy.

angry_smile.gif
Samster said:
angry_smile.gif
I would arrange a self check-in for any guests for that date so that I could attend this friend's important occasion if it's right in your town. Of course, have your cell phone on the letter if they need something. I would actually probably advise guests at the time of their reservation. I think that it's usually a good idea to just be honest & up front with the guests.
I think we have another innkeeper on here who talks about the note re: Sebastian's tuba lesson. We have lives!!

angry_smile.gif
Because I think you and I get a different sort of late arrival, as in your late arrivals seem to keep you informed but not so much that you can't nap, either option would work for you. My late arrivals, for the most part, are just late. No call, no info, just not here by the time I put my jammies on (9 PM). IF they arrive before hubs is sound asleep, he will get the door if we hear the car.
As to the reading of THAT particular letter, I'd say, YES, they read that letter much more than any other printed matter they come across. Why? Because they need to read it to open the door and find their room and because it involves their feeding in the morning. They want to know when they're going to eat next!
The only people I'd worry about with a late arrival would be my lemmings. These are guests who always stay in the same room. They gravitate toward that room. Even if that is NOT the room they got this time!
One guest stood knocking at 'her' door for 5 minutes trying to wake her husband before she came and got me for the key. I got the key for the room she was in, not the room she was knocking at and she almost died of embarrassment.
That's why we have to do what works for us, our inn situation and location, and the type of guests that each of us gets! 99% of our late arrivals are due to travel snafus with air travel.

angry_smile.gif
Samster said:
angry_smile.gif
Joe, it is Thursday and 6pm and DH wants supper! It is Thursday and supper means Jimmy's. We leave note on door. We are at Jimmy's having all you care to eat spaghetti for $4.99. Join us. Directions:xxxxxxxxx
They did. Many times actually. I send enough guests there that Jimmy says just tell me when they are coming when I tell him he donated a dinner for 2 for one of my certificates.
Many guests arrive saying they HAVE to go to Jimmy's (I call it the restaurant version of CHEERS). Ask JBJ what it was like. She took her family there when they visited us.

angry_smile.gif
Samster said:
angry_smile.gif
  • One spouse goes to the wedding (like we did this weekend with hubs going to his brother's wedding reception, along with everything else). If it's near enough, the other spouse (you) could arrive for the reception after the check ins)
  • Find someone local who will greet guests and show them their rooms and give the intro
  • Do the self check-in.
Personally, this last would bother me a bit in case I had questions. We had a self check-in 2 weeks ago but it was ok as we knew where we were and were just going to go see family, we weren't strangers to the area.
I guess it really depends on the type of guest you get. Self sufficient or needy.
Bree said:
  • Do the self check-in.
Yes, there is no way of telling before hand as they haven't booked yet, but i know the minute we set what we are going to do something will come up. There is no way S.O. will go to a wedding alone, there is no way I will go to a wedding alone. One thing I have learned in my bout with innkeeping, never plan anything it never goes as planned. If guests say they will be here at 3pm and you figure you can make it, they show at 10pm. I do not trust anyone else to check in guests, I would prefer a self check in to someone standing in. Two night min is a good idea! Still leaves guests here unattended and the wedding is not worth blocking off our paycheck over. We have to put food on the table. Hm, will consider what to do...

angry_smile.gif
Samster said:
angry_smile.gif
I would arrange a self check-in for any guests for that date so that I could attend this friend's important occasion if it's right in your town. Of course, have your cell phone on the letter if they need something. I would actually probably advise guests at the time of their reservation. I think that it's usually a good idea to just be honest & up front with the guests.
I think we have another innkeeper on here who talks about the note re: Sebastian's tuba lesson. We have lives!!
Samster said:
It is not in our town, it is 30 minutes away. Typically tho, like yesterday and today guests are gone all day out and about. We very rarely have guests who stay here throughout the day. Will I go an be uneasy about guests here or guests checking in? Drats.

angry_smile.gif
Samster said:
angry_smile.gif
  • Do the self check-in.
Bree said:
  • Do the self check-in.
Yes, there is no way of telling before hand as they haven't booked yet, but i know the minute we set what we are going to do something will come up. There is no way S.O. will go to a wedding alone, there is no way I will go to a wedding alone. One thing I have learned in my bout with innkeeping, never plan anything it never goes as planned. If guests say they will be here at 3pm and you figure you can make it, they show at 10pm. I do not trust anyone else to check in guests, I would prefer a self check in to someone standing in. Two night min is a good idea! Still leaves guests here unattended and the wedding is not worth blocking off our paycheck over. We have to put food on the table. Hm, will consider what to do...
I don't like being that far away when guests are in the house, either. There's no way you'll have no one on a weekend in July. I've mentioned how annoyed I was when innkeepers up and left for 3 days while we were staying there. NO ONE on site after the rooms were done. No way to contact anyone was given to us (no in room book with info, either). No one locking up at night so doors were open and all the lights were on all night. It was awkward at best and I guess I felt insulted.
OK, realizing we all need a life, this is how we look at things...guests are guests in our home. Would a 'civilian' invite guests to come and stay with them and then leave to go on their own vacation? Remember, the person coming to stay is coming partly because of the innkeeper and the personality they got on the phone or the website. They didn't book a self-catering cottage. And the reason given to the arriving guests was, 'Well, you wanted to be here and we wanted a vacation, so it worked out for everyone, RIGHT?' In the case of the innkeeper, they didn't want to forfeit the money, but they wanted to go away. At least we got to meet them. All the guests who checked themselves in after us had no idea what was going on.
However, this is a wedding. You'll be home that night. And you're right, if they say they'll be in at 3, they won't. You'll stew and it won't be good for anyone. So, make a plan and go with it. Whatever it is.
You know we have the free concerts here in the summer. Hubs won't leave the house to go if everyone isn't checked in. The chances everyone will be in when it is still completely bright and daylit outside are slim. So we rarely go to the concerts together. Even tho they start AFTER check in is over. And we're not leaving town.
It's a tough life. If you make it that way. You know almost every place we've ever stayed the owners were not the staff and the owners were not around, they were living their lives. So, think about how you will feel if you miss this wedding. If it means a lot to go, then go.
Sorry for the ramble!

angry_smile.gif
Samster said:
angry_smile.gif
  • Do the self check-in.
Bree said:
  • Do the self check-in.
I don't like being that far away when guests are in the house, either. There's no way you'll have no one on a weekend in July. I've mentioned how annoyed I was when innkeepers up and left for 3 days while we were staying there. NO ONE on site after the rooms were done. No way to contact anyone was given to us (no in room book with info, either). No one locking up at night so doors were open and all the lights were on all night. It was awkward at best and I guess I felt insulted.
OK, realizing we all need a life, this is how we look at things...guests are guests in our home. Would a 'civilian' invite guests to come and stay with them and then leave to go on their own vacation? Remember, the person coming to stay is coming partly because of the innkeeper and the personality they got on the phone or the website. They didn't book a self-catering cottage. And the reason given to the arriving guests was, 'Well, you wanted to be here and we wanted a vacation, so it worked out for everyone, RIGHT?' In the case of the innkeeper, they didn't want to forfeit the money, but they wanted to go away. At least we got to meet them. All the guests who checked themselves in after us had no idea what was going on.
However, this is a wedding. You'll be home that night. And you're right, if they say they'll be in at 3, they won't. You'll stew and it won't be good for anyone. So, make a plan and go with it. Whatever it is.
You know we have the free concerts here in the summer. Hubs won't leave the house to go if everyone isn't checked in. The chances everyone will be in when it is still completely bright and daylit outside are slim. So we rarely go to the concerts together. Even tho they start AFTER check in is over. And we're not leaving town.
It's a tough life. If you make it that way. You know almost every place we've ever stayed the owners were not the staff and the owners were not around, they were living their lives. So, think about how you will feel if you miss this wedding. If it means a lot to go, then go.
Sorry for the ramble!
This is why only my dh went to our son's graduation from grad school. We would have been back that night but would have been gone for 4+ hours and 90 minutes away. Sigh....
I actually would have blocked the night out if that dang kid had given me the date in time! Ended up having a full house.

angry_smile.gif
Samster said:
angry_smile.gif
Samster said:
It is not in our town, it is 30 minutes away. Typically tho, like yesterday and today guests are gone all day out and about. We very rarely have guests who stay here throughout the day. Will I go an be uneasy about guests here or guests checking in? Drats.
DH belongs to a Civil War Roundtable. I had a rez for 2 rooms coming in the night of a very special program and dinner. I called them and asked if they would be interested in coming with as our guests to this special program and dinner. They would have to be here by 5 pm. They said yes and i made the reservations for 4 for this.
When hey arrived, they were very apologetic but indiocated it had been a long drive and they were driven out. They would go if we wanted them to or gladly pay for the dinners.... We told them not to worry, It was no problem. We called a friend who lived in that area (it was almost an hour from the house) and she met us there. We had a good time, the guests were grateful they could just relax at the house, and our friend was touched that we had thought of asking her - even at the last minute.
And yes, when we leave and there are guests in-house or may be returning before we return, DH just locks up our side of the house. Lock up your personal quarters and go. If you get a rez, you set the time. You have an important appointment and will not be available until XXX. Give them your cell number by all means and enjoy yourselves long enough to go to the wedding and have a dance at least.

Back