Late arrivals

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KathieB

Reaction score
I am new to the InnKeepeer business and am struggling with an issue. My web site says check-in is between 3-6PM. I have had guests ask to arrive later because of Fridaay traffic, etc. and I get that. However, on two separate occasions I have had guests arrive at 11pm, and just had an inquiry about arriving from out of state (again, a Friday) at 1am.
As this is a 2-bedroom inn, and I live here and I am "the staff" what to do? I don't want to turn away business, as I am still trying to build a business. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Kathie
The Log Cabin B&B

the trouble is people do not read its that simple or because they know you live there they assume its no trouble for you to simply get up and let them in. Have you thought of a lock box system? not at all expensive and easy to operate.
Does your property lend itself to self check in? ie are the bedrooms easy to find from the front door?

Welcome to the forum!
Forget the friday night crowd, how about a Sunday!
From me, a beautiful Sunday afternoon and our family forced to stay here waiting for a check-in yesterday when we could be out enjoying it, what time did they arrive last night? 10pm. Yes, I had a note on the door for a self check in, but it was still an all afternoon wait. Now I get to greet them with a genuine smile this morning for breakfast.
These one nighters, one at a time will be the death of me.

If you live in a location where it is safe to do so, the way we handle this is at 7 PM (end of check-in time here) we run the guest's credit card for the full amount of their stay, write them a note with all the details of how to get in the house and where their room is, put that note in an envelope with their name on it and pop it in a basket hanging on the entry door.
Then we go about our evening. Either go for a walk, watch TV or go to bed.

Welcome to the forum. We used to stay up and stay late, but that got to be too much. Now, a few days before arrival we send them instructions for self-check-in. We have a door lock from resort locks that we program with a numeric key, so that they can get in. And we have written instructions. We give them our phone number for SOS, but everything else is automated and we tell them we will do the formalities in the morning. So far, it's worked wonderfully and we get a life.

PS I googled the log cabin B&B and this forum came up. (This post) Just wanted to let you know Kathie, if you want a place to speak freely you may wish to remove your B&B name from your posts, or else be careful in asking questions. Even this topic might put a guest off when the innkeeper acts put out by them arriving later. Just thought it was worth a mention.

I used to wait up till all hours...then I just wised up. The guest do a self check in. We told them ahead of time in our confirmation. Envelope on the door with key and how to get to their room. Better yet. Get yourself the keypad type lock and put a code in just for them and tell them in your confirmation.

Back