late arrivals?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a slightly different way of doing it. I ask people what time they are arriving. Why should I be home at 4pm, if their flight does not arrive til 8? I can go on about my day and look forward to meeting them at 8pm. If someone calls in a reservation I explain that I need their check in time as I plan my day around them and I want to make sure I am here when they arrive. I still get some people who show up really late, but they have been warned that I may not be available if they miss the time they gave me.

I think the best way to motivate people to keep you informed if they are going to be late or book a time slot is to make sure they know you are not always there. We usually do so it is not a problem but have a neighbour and she sells it as we are not always there as we have to go to the shops kids etc so you wouldn't want to be inconvenienced by having to wait or hang about or whaterver it is for your convenience that we have to know when you are comming and it seems to work.

I also have a note in the rooms that we have family time in the evenings. Yes, that's right, many guests are first timers and just don't know the protocol or how and what to do at a B&B...giving some simple info like this helps them to relax and understand the boundaries that are in place here. We are humans, we have pets, kids and work to do behind the scenes to make this B&B what it is. We also have LIFE that happens...
If we let a few of the guests suck the life out of us then we have nothing left for the rest. Esp for those we love and cherish and deserve more.
PS We arrived at the cottage we rented for a week and there was our name on an envelope. Our rez # was the door code and instructions were inside. Simple. Easy peasy. We did not feel begrudged by not having a personal welcome, it was fine...just fine. We were hot sweaty and stinky from travelling, we didn't want to make small talk, we can READ, so we can figure stuff out quite easily. Sometimes as innkeepers we take on roles of Mommy Dearest or baby sitters needlessly..
Joey Bloggs said:
Sometimes as innkeepers we take on roles of Mommy Dearest or baby sitters needlessly.
Took ME over seven years to come to that conclusion!

Thank you all.
We have been doing this 5 yrs, but for whatever reason, this year the late arrivals are multiplying like guinea pigs. In the past it was once or twice a week. Tolerable for the 8 mo busy season we have. But it is out of control this year. Maybe global warming heating the brain?
Great ideas! Will speak with husband about changing the wording regarding check in. Ours simply states 'We receive guests from 3pm to 7pm or by appointment'. Needs to be more explicit. And need to specify that they are giving us cell phone number, not home.
I do still have hair, but now it is streaking gray! In the summer husband is up very early as many guests are doing a boat charter. Boat at 7am, leave here by 6:45. We are trialing a 'to go' breakfast this summer. So far, no complaints about coffee, biscuits and fritattas wrapped up on a paper plate.
A keypad will not work for us, but running the card and leaving an envelope with a key and directions to room might work ok. If they can read. How can they read at self check-in but not on confirmation?!
Thanks again, ceecee.
We do a takeaway breakfast for those who are running late or have to be away early and it is very popular we do a bacon butty wrapped in foil or with egg and bacon with fruit and a yogurt (we keep in plastic spoons) and put it in a bag and dish them out. It is also well received as at a lot of other places they would have had to go without anything.

Thank you all.
We have been doing this 5 yrs, but for whatever reason, this year the late arrivals are multiplying like guinea pigs. In the past it was once or twice a week. Tolerable for the 8 mo busy season we have. But it is out of control this year. Maybe global warming heating the brain?
Great ideas! Will speak with husband about changing the wording regarding check in. Ours simply states 'We receive guests from 3pm to 7pm or by appointment'. Needs to be more explicit. And need to specify that they are giving us cell phone number, not home.
I do still have hair, but now it is streaking gray! In the summer husband is up very early as many guests are doing a boat charter. Boat at 7am, leave here by 6:45. We are trialing a 'to go' breakfast this summer. So far, no complaints about coffee, biscuits and fritattas wrapped up on a paper plate.
A keypad will not work for us, but running the card and leaving an envelope with a key and directions to room might work ok. If they can read. How can they read at self check-in but not on confirmation?!
Thanks again, ceecee.
We do a takeaway breakfast for those who are running late or have to be away early and it is very popular we do a bacon butty wrapped in foil or with egg and bacon with fruit and a yogurt (we keep in plastic spoons) and put it in a bag and dish them out. It is also well received as at a lot of other places they would have had to go without anything.
What's a 'bacon butty'?

Thank you all.
Thanks again, ceecee.
What's a 'bacon butty'?
It is usually two pieces of light fluffy bread with pieces of fried bacon in between I also butter the bread or you can use brown bread. You can also fry and egg and put that in but I would recomend frying it on both sides otherwise when you bite it all the yoke spurts out. You can also use a nice bread roll.

Thank you all.
Thanks again, ceecee.
What's a 'bacon butty'?
It is usually two pieces of light fluffy bread with pieces of fried bacon in between I also butter the bread or you can use brown bread. You can also fry and egg and put that in but I would recomend frying it on both sides otherwise when you bite it all the yoke spurts out. You can also use a nice bread roll.
OK, when I come over to visit, I am going to leave early just so I can have that!

Thank you all.
Thanks again, ceecee.
Oh MAN ... bacon butties are THE BEST. Basically a BLT without the L or T and with butter instead of mayo.

Thank you all.
Thanks again, ceecee.
Oh MAN ... bacon butties are THE BEST. Basically a BLT without the L or T and with butter instead of mayo.
My dad used to have that for brekkie. I used to love when mom made those for me, just never had a name for it.

Thank you all.
Thanks again, ceecee.
What's a 'bacon butty'?
Never called them that but it is DH's favorite breakfast when we do not have guests... Never had it without an egg though - and personal preference is that we do cook it medium so the yoke is just a little runny.

UKManiac only in America do they slather greasy mayo on any piece of bread they can find. I HATE MAYO!
Butter the bread, for goodness sakes, butter it!
Dave Shervil. I worked in downtown Sydney on the 24th floor of the Remington Centre and Dave Shervil would stop at the cafe on the 16th floor on the way up and get a bacon sanger and would keep it on his desk until smoko. The entire office would smell of bacon and our stomachs would do somersaults it smelled so good! EVERY DAY THIS MAN DID THIS!

UKManiac only in America do they slather greasy mayo on any piece of bread they can find. I HATE MAYO!
Dave Shervil. I worked in downtown Sydney on the 24th floor of the Remington Centre and Dave Shervil would stop at the cafe on the 16th floor on the way up and get a bacon sanger and would keep it on his desk until smoko. The entire office would smell of bacon and our stomachs would do somersaults it smelled so good! EVERY DAY THIS MAN DID THIS!.
Joey Bloggs said:
UKManiac only in America do they slather greasy mayo on any piece of bread they can find. I HATE MAYO!Butter the bread, for goodness sakes, butter it!
I can't get used to having to order my burger WITHOUT mayo on it. I hate it, too, and it's on everything.

Dave Shervil. I worked in downtown Sydney on the 24th floor of the Remington Centre and Dave Shervil would stop at the cafe on the 16th floor on the way up and get a bacon sanger and would keep it on his desk until smoko. The entire office would smell of bacon and our stomachs would do somersaults it smelled so good! EVERY DAY THIS MAN DID THIS!.
Joey Bloggs said:
UKManiac only in America do they slather greasy mayo on any piece of bread they can find. I HATE MAYO!Butter the bread, for goodness sakes, butter it!
I can't get used to having to order my burger WITHOUT mayo on it. I hate it, too, and it's on everything.
OK, this has got to be a Southern thing then. Around here everyone asks if you want anything on your bread! If you don't specify, you get nothing unless it says on the menu 'comes with...' Mayo on a hamburger? Ewww. But I don't want butter, either. I like my food nekkid.

Nope it is an American thang. I have only been a southuhner for under 7 years. Go to any fast food and what is dripping from the bun? Ruby Tuesday, Applebees...it's an American thang.

Nope it is an American thang. I have only been a southuhner for under 7 years. Go to any fast food and what is dripping from the bun? Ruby Tuesday, Applebees...it's an American thang..
I just looked at a Ruby Tuesday menu and you're right...all the sandwiches have mayo. I guess I don't order sandwiches. Or I dont go to those places enough to notice.
There's an ongoing battle around here about whether or not lobster roll should have mayo. I like it with a buttered, toasted roll but not gobs of mayo. And spare me the 'salad dressing' if you have to put anything on the sandwich. THAT I will ask about...if someone asks if I want 'mayo' I ask if it's REAL mayo or salad dressing.

I hate mayo...blucky disgusting goop. I'm with Morty, I'd rather be naked!

Joey Bloggs said:
OK, this has got to be a Southern thing then. Around here everyone asks if you want anything on your bread! If you don't specify, you get nothing unless it says on the menu 'comes with...' Mayo on a hamburger? Ewww. But I don't want butter, either. I like my food nekkid.
Morticia said:
OK, this has got to be a Southern thing then.
I think the mayo on a burger is southern. Neither DH or I ever encountered it before moving here - on burgers. I've always had to ask them to leave mayo off my sandwiches. I generally like mine with nothing on - I've never been a big sauce fan. I would be so happy to get a lobster roll with no mayo - and only a little holding the lobster salad together. I always substitute plain yogurt for mayo in almost all my recipes, except deviled eggs.

mmmm, nice hamburger, with ripe tomatoes, lettuce, onions, relish and best foods mayo. Sounds lovely. Originally I am from the west coast, and we like mayo, but are picky about the brand (hellmans or best foods). But not on everything. The heaviest mayo users I encountered were in Hawaii. Mix with shoyu, ginger, chilis, anything you can find! They put in on everything-avacadoes, cantaloupe, mix with poi, on and in cake, squash, cauliflower, etc. Yewww, enough sometimes.
And to follow the mayo entree will be the diabetes, high cholesterol, hypertension seminar for dessert.
And... YIPPEEEE, the guests are all on time today, I followed the advice about asking for arrival time. Thank you, it worked today. I am celebrating and going to get a nice glass of wine. Hold the mayo.

After discussing the gps issue with husband, think we might just informally ask if they used google or gps or ?? and keep a record. We do attach a map to our e-mail confirmation, but it is only local. May need to do a wider view map?

mmmm, nice hamburger, with ripe tomatoes, lettuce, onions, relish and best foods mayo. Sounds lovely. Originally I am from the west coast, and we like mayo, but are picky about the brand (hellmans or best foods). But not on everything. The heaviest mayo users I encountered were in Hawaii. Mix with shoyu, ginger, chilis, anything you can find! They put in on everything-avacadoes, cantaloupe, mix with poi, on and in cake, squash, cauliflower, etc. Yewww, enough sometimes.
And to follow the mayo entree will be the diabetes, high cholesterol, hypertension seminar for dessert.
And... YIPPEEEE, the guests are all on time today, I followed the advice about asking for arrival time. Thank you, it worked today. I am celebrating and going to get a nice glass of wine. Hold the mayo..
And... YIPPEEEE, the guests are all on time today, I followed the advice about asking for arrival time. Thank you, it worked today. I am celebrating and going to get a nice glass of wine. Hold the mayo.
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

Back