late arrivals?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope it is an American thang. I have only been a southuhner for under 7 years. Go to any fast food and what is dripping from the bun? Ruby Tuesday, Applebees...it's an American thang..
Joey Bloggs said:
Nope it is an American thang. I have only been a southuhner for under 7 years. Go to any fast food and what is dripping from the bun? Ruby Tuesday, Applebees...it's an American thang.
I agree JB! But when did mayo replace mustard on burgers??? Some fast food places had done this. DH and I think that the people making those burgers put the amount of condiments THEY like on them. Sometimes the mayo is oozing everywhere. I have gone to asking for mine with just tomato & lettuce and then picking up packets to fix it MY way. Hold the mayo - except for fresh tomato sandwiches...ummmmm.

Mayo replaced mustard when McDonalds sold its 500 Million Big Macs. LOL
I have lived West coast - MAYO, NW - MAYO, SE - MAYO. See if you hate mayo you notice it is everywhere, sandwiches, burgers and salads. The big ad campaign for Best Foods Vs Miracle Whip (we always though miracle whip to be a midwest thing).
From a favorite innkeeper's blog:
http://chloesblog.bigmill.com/farmhouse-tomato-sandwich-the-mayonnaise-debate/

UKManiac only in America do they slather greasy mayo on any piece of bread they can find. I HATE MAYO!
Butter the bread, for goodness sakes, butter it!
Dave Shervil. I worked in downtown Sydney on the 24th floor of the Remington Centre and Dave Shervil would stop at the cafe on the 16th floor on the way up and get a bacon sanger and would keep it on his desk until smoko. The entire office would smell of bacon and our stomachs would do somersaults it smelled so good! EVERY DAY THIS MAN DID THIS!.
Joey Bloggs said:
UKManiac only in America do they slather greasy mayo on any piece of bread they can find. I HATE MAYO!Butter the bread, for goodness sakes, butter it!
I can't get used to having to order my burger WITHOUT mayo on it. I hate it, too, and it's on everything.
OK, this has got to be a Southern thing then. Around here everyone asks if you want anything on your bread! If you don't specify, you get nothing unless it says on the menu 'comes with...' Mayo on a hamburger? Ewww. But I don't want butter, either. I like my food nekkid.
I agree...mayo on all sandwiches isn't just a Southern thang, it's everywhere in the U.S. I've also lived on both coasts, West, Southwest, and in the Deep South. The only difference here in the South is that I have to repeat "no mayonnaise" at least twice. They will ask, "Are you sure?" Same thing for any special "sauces", aka flavored mayos. They can't believe you don't want it on your sandwich! lol!
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

At our neighborhood picnic on the 4th, an out-of-towner said, "I can't believe that there's no tuna salad or macaroni salad with gobs of Miracle Whip on the table that isn't turning bad in the heat. It's a Southern tradition!"
rolleyes.gif

Frying IS a Southern thang....if it CAN be fried, they'll fry it here.
whattha.gif

Light a match to the dishwater at our little diner and the whole building would go up in flames.

Mayo replaced mustard when McDonalds sold its 500 Million Big Macs. LOL
I have lived West coast - MAYO, NW - MAYO, SE - MAYO. See if you hate mayo you notice it is everywhere, sandwiches, burgers and salads. The big ad campaign for Best Foods Vs Miracle Whip (we always though miracle whip to be a midwest thing).
From a favorite innkeeper's blog:
http://chloesblog.bigmill.com/farmhouse-tomato-sandwich-the-mayonnaise-debate/.
Grew up with Miracle Whip - Mom loved the stuff! Now if I use it at all it is the real stuff.
Oh, someone brought some homegrown tomatoes to our delayed 4th party last night. (I just had to make a sandwich) MMMMMMMM- yummy.

Cee Cee if you want to send me your url off the forum I can look at it with "guest" eyes. JB

that is very kind of you jb ...
sharing the wording might give a clue as to what is going on.
have to quote you here "am just the innkeeper's wife and gardener, and have a fulltime job away from the inn, including on call." you are performing a very important function at the inn and i am not being critical when i say please don't call yourself just anything ... we all need someone to help so we can sleep and your schedule shows you both need to get to bed at night.
so many guests that are not checking in during the specified time is just not acceptable.
as a guest, i never behaved this way and it's hard to understand

Still working toward a solution. Last night 2 late, after 10pm, but before midnight.....was so tired i forgot what time! Show them to room, reiterate breakfast routine, that is it!
Husband did find that the rezovation system auto mail is not clear. After his search yesterday and some reports today we do see trends. Appears the internet booking engine causes more late arrivals than our calls. Husband is a retired computer geek and and does all these stats. thank goodness!
We are both hoping for a solution to this issue. At least get it to a couple times a week. He does like the idea of self check in, but only if in the main house. We do have parking, etc issues when not staying in the main house.

Cee Cee, you mentioned confirmation with check in times, but on the website it is not mentioned anywhere, so I am assuming I can check in whenever...Are you ready to take the leap to online reservations? If so, you can have even more info posted there so guests can see the "POLICIES" before booking and check the box saying they agree to them.
So basically from a guest standpoint, I will plan my visit around my own schedule, not yours.
Perhaps a page stating Innfo for guests? Ie no children under 12, no pets, check in and check out times, etc..? Whatever the policies may be.
Another idea would be a Location page where you can put drvie times from major cities, ie Drive time from Portland, Eugene etc. In fact brag about that, "We are just 2 hours from Portland" or whatever it may be.
Update: I only just NOW saw where the check in times were. Adding a "after 7pm by appt only" or something to the times might help.

Sorry, okay and the biggest news on this is...I didn't know you had online rez, I saw your comments here and went back. I guess the shell looked decorative to me since it is elsewhere on the page.
I am a good "beta tester" for you, can't see the forest through the trees!

One more note. Computer geeks and web designers are two different animals. Being technical doesn't necessarily mean you "GET" all that is required for guests and bookings. Trust me, I am the technical side of this relationship here, and DH works full time in the I.T. field. It is more than the "cobbler's children" it is more an eye for what guests are looking for and logistics of our website, vs backbone only.

Cee Cee if you want to send me your url off the forum I can look at it with "guest" eyes. JB.
Thank you Joey! southcoastinn.com
Please, just when you have time. Thank you, ceecee
I'm going to pop this in here as well...in the intro you mention gardens and how you (2 women's names) love to share your passion about gardens. Then, at the bottom is a host's name which is neither of the names of the people who do the gardening, so I'm confused.
If I never got to the bottom of the page, I would assume 2 women were running this B&B. If I did get to the bottom of the page, and didn't know you, I would wonder who that guy was and what happened to the 2 women mentioned before.
I skimmed, so if you have an 'About the Innkeeper' I missed it.

Cee Cee if you want to send me your url off the forum I can look at it with "guest" eyes. JB.
I'm going to pop this in here as well...in the intro you mention gardens and how you (2 women's names) love to share your passion about gardens. Then, at the bottom is a host's name which is neither of the names of the people who do the gardening, so I'm confused.
If I never got to the bottom of the page, I would assume 2 women were running this B&B. If I did get to the bottom of the page, and didn't know you, I would wonder who that guy was and what happened to the 2 women mentioned before.
Hmm, good points. Husband is the real innkeeper....If I had to write about the innkeeper I would say he is a DIAD (do it all dolly), but that would not look too professional. Very good idea to have a page, maybe with his photo? We are working on new webpages this year, with dil taking professional photos of the gardens and house. I think the website needs more garden photos and the rooms have been updated since those were taken 4 yrs ago. In fact the apartment has been remodeled with bay windows, a totally different look.
Grace came to live here with us a few years ago. She is my very pleasant mil, and we call her the 'built in grandma". She is 80, visits with guests, helps serve breakfast, likes to iron if she cannot be puttering in the garden.
A direct link to policies might be helpful. Could clarify some issues with chek in, cancellations, etc.
We are also toying with photos of food....saw some plates on another site and it looked inviting and left a warm feeling.
Thank You!! Very helpful points.

CeeCee...first, let me ask if you're as busy as you want to be? If the answer is yes, then my suggestion would be to just update your site with the suggestions JB & the others are giving you. If you're looking to increase biz, I would suggest you join your state b&b association. I am in the same state as you and they are a wonderful association that emphasizes education as well as helping you get heads in beds. If you have any questions, you can contact me by e-mail from this forum and I'll be happy to give you more info.

mil needs to be in the 'about the innkeepers' section with the two of you. she sounds wonderful ... i'd use the description you gave us.
you haven't asked for a critique of the site so i won't say anything ... but please do share as you work on the updates so all the wise ones in here can help you.

Hmm, good points. Husband is the real innkeeper....If I had to write about the innkeeper I would say he is a DIAD (do it all dolly), but that would not look too professional. Very good idea to have a page, maybe with his photo? We are working on new webpages this year, with dil taking professional photos of the gardens and house. I think the website needs more garden photos and the rooms have been updated since those were taken 4 yrs ago. In fact the apartment has been remodeled with bay windows, a totally different look.
Grace came to live here with us a few years ago. She is my very pleasant mil, and we call her the 'built in grandma". She is 80, visits with guests, helps serve breakfast, likes to iron if she cannot be puttering in the garden.
A direct link to policies might be helpful. Could clarify some issues with chek in, cancellations, etc.
We are also toying with photos of food....saw some plates on another site and it looked inviting and left a warm feeling.
Thank You!! Very helpful points.
All great ideas! Food photos are pretty much a must. Even if it is just one really good one and a nice shot of where the guests will eat. If you do a lavish layout, set it all up for the photo.
If you do an 'about the innkeeper' page make sure at least you and possibly MIL are in the photo. Some people won't book a place with what appears to be a single male. And be sure to identify who is in the photo. I saw a website with an about page that showed around 6-7 different people and I had no idea if they ALL worked/lived/owned the place or what! Maybe they were guests, who knew!

Hey I thought I was the only one of mankind who cared about an About Us page? AH HA! She says pointedly at her monitor. :)
Whenever I have a single female guest business or other, I always make sure it is "I" that does the check in and not DH. Just one of those things in looking out for them and making them feel welcomed and safe. These are usually the guests who give me a heads up when they head out, that sort of thing, which I think is a great idea.
On the orig subject, I just had a call from a man who wanted to make sure he COULD check in after 7pm before making his booking on line. I thought, HEY! HERE IT IS! This is the second of this kind of call/email in two days. I am so happy for him to check in at 9 or 10 and now he has no made rush to get here, there will be a note for him.

Re the book online icon, I would have it as a button on the top of the page as well. It looked so nice I just didn't see what it was.

Sorry, okay and the biggest news on this is...I didn't know you had online rez, I saw your comments here and went back. I guess the shell looked decorative to me since it is elsewhere on the page.
I am a good "beta tester" for you, can't see the forest through the trees!.
Joey Bloggs said:
I am a good "beta tester" for you, can't see the forest through the trees!
I didn't see it either...just looked like a cutsy photo at first glance to me and I kept on going.

Back