Late breakfast?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
I know most of us will do some sort of early brekkie but how about late brekkie? Say an hour or so after you would normally have everything cleaned up? This would be the same full brekkie the other guests got, not a continental left out for them.

Breakfast is typically served from 7:30 to 9:00 but I will serve up until 10:00 if a guest requests that and I don't have a million other things to do.

Breakfast is typically served from 7:30 to 9:00 but I will serve up until 10:00 if a guest requests that and I don't have a million other things to do..
How would you know when they make the reservation if you'll have a million things to do?
I'm leaning toward not doing this because the person asking is pushing all of her problems onto us.

I ask them the night before what time they would like breakfast. Most are happy to eat between 7:30 and 9:00 but some want to sleep in a bit later. Usually it's not a problem. If I'm cooking and serving alone I also space each guest 15 minutes apart if they want to eat around the same time. For example, I will ask one to come at 8:00 and the other at 8:15. When the first guests are eating their main course the second guests can start on their fruit and bread, so they never have to just sit around and wait. The fruit and bread course is ready as soon as they sit down. This just gives me a little breathing space between each set of guests. One the weekends when my husband is home to help it doesn't matter if they come at the same time.

I did breakfast at 10:00 this morning, loved it! I hate to get up early, and 10:00 suites me fine if I don't also have to do earlier for anyone else. My other guests last night informed me after arriving at 10:00 pm that they had to leave at 4:00am to catch a flight. I was thinking, you must be kidding, WHY did you even come here where most of what's nice about being here is - being here. Well, 4:00am is just tooooooo early for me under any circumstances except the house being on fire. So, I told them I would leave Cheerios on the counter and a fruit bowl in the refrigerator that they could help themselves to. I do think giving people breakfast whenever they want it is part of the deal, although I know and understand many B&B's have set times and that's it. The breakfast part of a B&B is a big deal and I don't want my guests to miss it or have it any time other than when they want it. 4:00am I just couldn't do, but two weeks ago I had a whole week of fishermen and they like to eat at what I consider the middle of the night; some at 5:00am and another group at 6:00. I have to get up an hour or two earlier, and that just ruins my day, but it doesn't happen too often. I try to talk my people into 9:00am breakfast, and I'm successful about 80% of the time.

The only time we are willing to go either way earlier or later on what we consider a generous serving window of 8-9:30 is if the guest requesting it is the only guests staying here.
We apologize to folks but considering many B&Bs have one seating at a pre-determined time, we'll do a to-go breakfast for really early departures, will offer early coffee, blah....blah...blah.... we're being flexible enough already.
Today, one couple that didn't even arrive to check in last night until almost 9 with no courtesy call to let us know they'd be that late preventing us from going to a barbeque, showed up in the dining room at 9:25 this morning.
Should we bend over backwards for a guest like that?
Our experience has been that many of these special requests are coming from very self-entitled people who are used to getting their way in every aspect of life. They'll take it if you give it, but don't count on any extra thanks for being flexible.
I'd tell her, you can either leave everything but the hot entree part out continental style for her, or she can pay extra to have you "cater" to her special needs. We get plenty of folks who prefer to sleep in and are totally happy with just the baked goodie, fresh fruit, juice, coffee/tea and a yogurt.

Just like a super early, a super late could be a muffin/pastry and coffee, no hassles.

I did breakfast at 10:00 this morning, loved it! I hate to get up early, and 10:00 suites me fine if I don't also have to do earlier for anyone else. My other guests last night informed me after arriving at 10:00 pm that they had to leave at 4:00am to catch a flight. I was thinking, you must be kidding, WHY did you even come here where most of what's nice about being here is - being here. Well, 4:00am is just tooooooo early for me under any circumstances except the house being on fire. So, I told them I would leave Cheerios on the counter and a fruit bowl in the refrigerator that they could help themselves to. I do think giving people breakfast whenever they want it is part of the deal, although I know and understand many B&B's have set times and that's it. The breakfast part of a B&B is a big deal and I don't want my guests to miss it or have it any time other than when they want it. 4:00am I just couldn't do, but two weeks ago I had a whole week of fishermen and they like to eat at what I consider the middle of the night; some at 5:00am and another group at 6:00. I have to get up an hour or two earlier, and that just ruins my day, but it doesn't happen too often. I try to talk my people into 9:00am breakfast, and I'm successful about 80% of the time..
sunburst2 said:
I did breakfast at 10:00 this morning, loved it! I hate to get up early, and 10:00 suites me fine if I don't also have to do earlier for anyone else. My other guests last night informed me after arriving at 10:00 pm that they had to leave at 4:00am to catch a flight. I was thinking, you must be kidding, WHY did you even come here where most of what's nice about being here is - being here. Well, 4:00am is just tooooooo early for me under any circumstances except the house being on fire. So, I told them I would leave Cheerios on the counter and a fruit bowl in the refrigerator that they could help themselves to. I do think giving people breakfast whenever they want it is part of the deal, although I know and understand many B&B's have set times and that's it. The breakfast part of a B&B is a big deal and I don't want my guests to miss it or have it any time other than when they want it. 4:00am I just couldn't do, but two weeks ago I had a whole week of fishermen and they like to eat at what I consider the middle of the night; some at 5:00am and another group at 6:00. I have to get up an hour or two earlier, and that just ruins my day, but it doesn't happen too often. I try to talk my people into 9:00am breakfast, and I'm successful about 80% of the time.
Ya know I don't think anyone wants to eat breakfast at 4 or 5am, I think they would appreciate coffee and something small (even an apple, banana or orange that is not precut) to grab on the go.
The only time we ever ate breakfast at those hours are when we were on the road traveling and you found a place to stop and stretch your legs. Never from a just woke up stand point to eating a big meal.

Just like a super early, a super late could be a muffin/pastry and coffee, no hassles..
Joe Bloggs said:
Just like a super early, a super late could be a muffin/pastry and coffee, no hassles.
She wanted the full breakfast, 'like everyone else gets'. They wanted to sleep in until at least 10 and check out late as well. It was kind of one thing on top of another and it's just too busy to be serving breakfast at 10:30 or later (my take on what part of the conversation I heard was that if we said 10, they'd show up at 11).
We've been known to stretch the breakfast out for people we know but once the guest starts piling on the requests it gets to be too much.
They can certainly help themselves to cereal, anyone can do that at anytime.

Breakfast is typically served from 7:30 to 9:00 but I will serve up until 10:00 if a guest requests that and I don't have a million other things to do..
How would you know when they make the reservation if you'll have a million things to do?
I'm leaning toward not doing this because the person asking is pushing all of her problems onto us.
Bree said:
I would not do it either. She looks to be demanding and will be nothing but problems, so I would not set yourself up for more. The best thing you can do is to stick to your policies of when you serve breakfast. I would not try and explain either other than maybe saying that the kitchen closes at 10am as check outs and laundry is scheduled after that. And don't forget that there is a charge for a late checkout to pay the housekeeper for staying beyond here scheduled cleaning time....
Riki

Just like a super early, a super late could be a muffin/pastry and coffee, no hassles..
Joe Bloggs said:
She wanted the full breakfast, 'like everyone else gets'. They wanted to sleep in until at least 10 and check out late as well. It was kind of one thing on top of another and it's just too busy to be serving breakfast at 10:30 or later (my take on what part of the conversation I heard was that if we said 10, they'd show up at 11).
We've been known to stretch the breakfast out for people we know but once the guest starts piling on the requests it gets to be too much.
I don't serve a late breakfast unless it's something I've already decided and offered to do (like if guests want to stay up to watch the Perseids meteor shower -- which peaks this week!).
I would just tell these people that breakfast service ends at 9:30 or whatever, and if they'd like to eat later you can recommend some local restaurants that serve a nice brunch.
I had guests a few weeks ago ask if they could check out late and have dinner here too (now THAT's a late check out!!!).

Joe Bloggs said:
I don't serve a late breakfast unless it's something I've already decided and offered to do (like if guests want to stay up to watch the Perseids meteor shower -- which peaks this week!).
I would just tell these people that breakfast service ends at 9:30 or whatever, and if they'd like to eat later you can recommend some local restaurants that serve a nice brunch.
I had guests a few weeks ago ask if they could check out late and have dinner here too (now THAT's a late check out!!!).
happyjacks said:
Ooh that is a great idea, especially since breakfast is complimentary! So "Our complimentary breakfast ends at 9:30, but I can recommend ABC Restaurant for their excellent brunches" Then maybe you will get them out on time since they have to leave to eat brunch.
Riki

Only if they were the only guests and it was not check-out day. The only time I did this it became a nightmare. I gave them a 10:00 breakfast, reminded them that check-out was 11:00. At 12:00 they still didn't checkout and they were ignoring my knocks/poundings on their door. I was furious. They didn't care.

i did a late breakfast for some people ... but since serving was 8 until 10, and i would do a 5:30 am for people catching the early ferry ... it was already a lot of cooking and serving time.
late breakfast always turned into late checkout ... which can be a problem for turning the room over. it has to be done last.
i used to say, 'we can accommodate a late breakfast and late checkout (by 1 pm) for $25.00' something like that.

We do one seating at 9am, plated. Earlier guests get either a different lighter full breakfast, or a muffin and fresh fruit, depending on the hour. Never been asked for later breakfast, won't do it, except for our "Cook's Gone Hunting" deal in November.

Since I am coming in late, I hope you did not do it. I let today's departute have as late as they wanted (and they chose 9AM) because we were trying to get out of here yesterday (and they had 9 AM yesterday thinking it was early). Fortunately I rarely have the 4 AM but do offer it for the horse people. I say 10 as the latest because check-out is 11 (today ended up being closer to 1 PM).

Only if they were the only guests and it was not check-out day. The only time I did this it became a nightmare. I gave them a 10:00 breakfast, reminded them that check-out was 11:00. At 12:00 they still didn't checkout and they were ignoring my knocks/poundings on their door. I was furious. They didn't care..
Breakfast Diva said:
Only if they were the only guests and it was not check-out day. The only time I did this it became a nightmare. I gave them a 10:00 breakfast, reminded them that check-out was 11:00. At 12:00 they still didn't checkout and they were ignoring my knocks/poundings on their door. I was furious. They didn't care.
This is when you inform them that they are being charged for an additional night. Bet that'll get 'em out in a hurry!
wink_smile.gif

What did you end up doing?
I think we have a pretty generous window - 7-9 AM weekdays, 8-9:30 weekends. I just made my weekday breakfast start earlier at 7 AM this week. Going past 9 during the week just mkes it too hard for me to get everything done. We have served breakfast at 10 AM on the weekend to a multiple night stay a couple of times but not if they were due to check-out. With check-out at 11AM, that's just really pushing it.

I did breakfast at 10:00 this morning, loved it! I hate to get up early, and 10:00 suites me fine if I don't also have to do earlier for anyone else. My other guests last night informed me after arriving at 10:00 pm that they had to leave at 4:00am to catch a flight. I was thinking, you must be kidding, WHY did you even come here where most of what's nice about being here is - being here. Well, 4:00am is just tooooooo early for me under any circumstances except the house being on fire. So, I told them I would leave Cheerios on the counter and a fruit bowl in the refrigerator that they could help themselves to. I do think giving people breakfast whenever they want it is part of the deal, although I know and understand many B&B's have set times and that's it. The breakfast part of a B&B is a big deal and I don't want my guests to miss it or have it any time other than when they want it. 4:00am I just couldn't do, but two weeks ago I had a whole week of fishermen and they like to eat at what I consider the middle of the night; some at 5:00am and another group at 6:00. I have to get up an hour or two earlier, and that just ruins my day, but it doesn't happen too often. I try to talk my people into 9:00am breakfast, and I'm successful about 80% of the time..
sunburst2 said:
Ya know I don't think anyone wants to eat breakfast at 4 or 5am, I think they would appreciate coffee and something small (even an apple, banana or orange that is not precut) to grab on the go.
The only time we ever ate breakfast at those hours are when we were on the road traveling and you found a place to stop and stretch your legs. Never from a just woke up stand point to eating a big meal.
J.B. Maybe you don't like to eat much at 4 or 5am, and neither do I; but you are presuming quite a bit to assume that nobody does! I was prepared to give my fishermen a quick "take it with you" bag of fruit, cereal, donuts, etc. They told me that they would take time to have a good hot breakfast. They were a group of disabled vets. some who came here straight from Walter Reed Hospital for a fishing outing. I think they liked my food better than hospital food because they chowed down pretty well whatever the time, and I was happy to feed them.

Back