Late breakfast?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
Would you consider this the same as early breakfast? If you had to leave a breakfast out (not refrigerated) for guests who want to sleep late, what would you leave out and how? I know Riki does continental after the regular breakfast is over, but what other ideas are out there that do not require the guest (or me) to 'cook' anything?
I have not considered this before because we have to get on with the cleaning and quite enough guests show up at 9:30 to make the breakfast extend after 10, but I do not want to START breakfast at 10 (IF they even show at 10 and you know how peeved I would be if they decided to skip at that point!), so it needs to be a 'do-it-yourself' breakfast that's a little more than, 'here, eat this cereal.'

not applicable (or helpful) but my (*&*(^%$ guests actually ASKED for a 2:30 a.m. breakfast. If I'd offered ???? .... We'll never know.
The answer was NO !!!!!!

Do they have a guest fridge? If so, I would do the same thing I do for early cont. brekkie. Yogurt, granola, fruit, pastry. Put it in the fridge the night before and they can eat it whenever they want to. That way you can get on with your day.

not applicable (or helpful) but my (*&*(^%$ guests actually ASKED for a 2:30 a.m. breakfast. If I'd offered ???? .... We'll never know.
The answer was NO !!!!!!.
You know, the hints are killing us! WHY would anyone want brekkie at 2 AM???

Do they have a guest fridge? If so, I would do the same thing I do for early cont. brekkie. Yogurt, granola, fruit, pastry. Put it in the fridge the night before and they can eat it whenever they want to. That way you can get on with your day..
The only guest fridge we have is shared by everyone. And, quite often, it is full. Which is why I was hoping for non-fridge suggestions. Altho, someone did leave behind an insulated tote so I could use that and leave it on the counter at 9:30.

The answer was NO !!!!!!.
UKMaineiac said:
The answer was NO !!!!!!
You MUST reveal more about these "blueberry" guests!!

Do they have a guest fridge? If so, I would do the same thing I do for early cont. brekkie. Yogurt, granola, fruit, pastry. Put it in the fridge the night before and they can eat it whenever they want to. That way you can get on with your day..
The only guest fridge we have is shared by everyone. And, quite often, it is full. Which is why I was hoping for non-fridge suggestions. Altho, someone did leave behind an insulated tote so I could use that and leave it on the counter at 9:30.
That's a great idea. Insulated tote with an ice pack!

My suggestion is . IN the common fridge leave 2 breakfast in a brown bag. Lable late breakfast or,xxxxx,,,, . In that put in yoghurt, one muffin, one granola bar and a box juice& a fresh fruit like .apple ,orange or banana or grapes. IF you have a hot water thermos then, they can help them selves to instant coffee or if you have a pot that keeps the water hot then they can make there own tea or hot chocolate.

I'm with BD on this... don't go overboard with what you offer. Just remember others could see that you are offering that and ask for it for the next day and if you do, it will have a domino affect. And worse they will remember it next year!!!!

I'm with BD on this... don't go overboard with what you offer. Just remember others could see that you are offering that and ask for it for the next day and if you do, it will have a domino affect. And worse they will remember it next year!!!!.
Definitely make this less desirable than your wonderful hot breakfast. Only those that truely need/want it will ask for it.

B&B/inns aren't restaurants and even most restaurants stop serving restaurants at a certain time. I would leave out a bowl of fresh fruit for guests and have your hot beverages available (which I believe you already do). Enough is enough......

OUR FULL HOT BREAKFAST IS COMPLIMENTARY!!! You eat it when we serve it, or you don't get it. Enough PITA catering...

OUR FULL HOT BREAKFAST IS COMPLIMENTARY!!! You eat it when we serve it, or you don't get it. Enough PITA catering....
That's actually what I did tell the guest. Then I got to thinking that this might be an option. We do have a full range of cereals out so anyone can help themselves whenever they want. I don't emphasize that online because I would bet 9/10 guests would read that as the ONLY thing they were going to get or that we ONLY do continental.
Someone today asked for yogurt. I thought in place of the egg dish but I didn't think we had any. So, I asked and the spouse said, 'Yeah a couple of flavors, go look.' SO I went back and told her we did have yogurt would she rather have that? 'Too late,' she said, 'I'm done with my fruit.'
She only wanted to put her fruit in it. Along with the family who didn't even say good morning, just started in on the juice options, for just having 3 rooms last night, it was a zoo at breakfast.

I'm with BD on this... don't go overboard with what you offer. Just remember others could see that you are offering that and ask for it for the next day and if you do, it will have a domino affect. And worse they will remember it next year!!!!.
Definitely make this less desirable than your wonderful hot breakfast. Only those that truely need/want it will ask for it.
By the way, I would only do this for stayovers...otherwise they will never leave on time!

By the way, I would only do this for stayovers...otherwise they will never leave on time!
Exactly! I was thinking about if I do this I have to tell them it doesn't matter what time they choose to eat the 'boxed' breakfast but they still have to leave by 11. Otherwise, it's 10:30 in their jammies over muffins and coffee and then off to take a 2 hour shower!

OUR FULL HOT BREAKFAST IS COMPLIMENTARY!!! You eat it when we serve it, or you don't get it. Enough PITA catering....
That's actually what I did tell the guest. Then I got to thinking that this might be an option. We do have a full range of cereals out so anyone can help themselves whenever they want. I don't emphasize that online because I would bet 9/10 guests would read that as the ONLY thing they were going to get or that we ONLY do continental.
Someone today asked for yogurt. I thought in place of the egg dish but I didn't think we had any. So, I asked and the spouse said, 'Yeah a couple of flavors, go look.' SO I went back and told her we did have yogurt would she rather have that? 'Too late,' she said, 'I'm done with my fruit.'
She only wanted to put her fruit in it. Along with the family who didn't even say good morning, just started in on the juice options, for just having 3 rooms last night, it was a zoo at breakfast.
I hate those days, when 6 people use more time and resources than 18. Little piggies...

OK...this late breakfast thing is confusing me. Why are you worried about this? Even the budget hotels that have a complimentary breakfast boo-fay shut it down at a certain time. Most, I believe, before 10 am. Good grief....

Late breakfast... Tim Hortons or Dunkin Donuts. Enjoy!

We serve the breakfast at 8, 8:30 and 9. By 9:30 - I stop cooking- we are bed and BREAKFAST not bed and lunch

Back