Late Business Appointments

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samster

Reaction score
OK...I am torqued off! I had two business appointments scheduled today at 11 am. The painter (to give an estimate on painting 5 porch floors and doing some wood repair work and re-painting that) and an appointment set up by the commercial insurance company for someone to come out & do a risk survey and take photos. I had to interrupt my routine this morning to be waiting for them and it is now almost noon and no show, no call!
angry_smile.gif
This makes me more angry than late arriving guests who are traveling to us!! grrrrrrrrrrr...
These appointments were made just last Friday and re-confirmed too. I am so mad that I am getting ready to go get some lunch and I won't even bother to call them. I don't just hang around here all day!
I'm curious...how long would the rest of you wait for someone to show up? I think an hour is pretty dang generous.
When I cool down, I will call them and tell them what inconsiderate baboons they are.... A phone call, people, a phone call...my cell phone is attached at the hip for crying out loud!

"I think an hour is pretty dang generous."
Be thankful you're not located in "The Land of Manana" as New Mexico is affectionately called.
If we get even a licensed, bonded contractor to come out the same week as they promised for even just an estimate, that's doing pretty good.
Forget about when they actually come to do the work itself. LOL
We have to than our lucky stars that I'm as handy as I am.

Totally unprofessional, after 15-20 minutes you should have gotten a phone call. The contractor I can sort of see, if they got side-tracked on a job (but still no excuse not to call)...but insurance? I'd take my business elsewhere for that.

I have said it before and I will say it again, in this day and age of cell phones where people have to literally attached to their ear (bluetooth) and do not call when they are running late, there is no excuse. Oh wait, yes there is and they will use it, my battery ran down. I am with you. YOU are the customer!

The contractor issue is not a regional thing. I have had roofers and hvac who were to come give estimates and did not come. This last contractor did show up when he said he would.
My daughter in Chicago is STILL waiting to see or hear from a contractor who was to come look at a project - and this was the beginning of May! Perhaps by Halloween.....
I am as I type, waiting for the electrician from the plumbing company. DH FINALLY OKed calling in an electrician at 3PM Thursday and could NOT understand why he wasn't here Friday. I was told maybe this afternoon - plumber is short-handed because one of the guys has a sister who is very sick. Thankfully, our son rescheduled his flight back to CA from Tuesday to Thursday. He has DH at the electronics store now getting a USB to Ethernet converter to hook up a router he bought me last night. I will do the multi-router when he goes homw as he thinks one is all I need. Password protected of course.
3:30PM - just got word first thing tomorrow morning for the electrician. He will be here by 7:30AM. I can bank on this one.

If I have someone coming in like you mentioned and they are not there and have not called, I give them 15 minutes and then I call. Usually you get the front desk person who then calls the service person via their cell and then I get the callback on where they are and how long they will be.
After an hour of nothing, I would be gone about my business and a note on the door telling them I waited as long as I could with no info from them, please call and sched another appt.

We go though the same thing here. DH says it is because they are "INDEPENDENT" contractors that they set their own hours and if you don't like it, call some one else - THEY ARE ALL THE SAME!!! It seems that most of the time we get 'we will be there between noon and 6pm or some rediculous time frame so you are bound to the house all day. Funny though - if they show up by 2PM we are usually happy that is was only 2 hours to wait. LOL

Be thankful you're not located in "The Land of Manana" as New Mexico is affectionately called.
If we get even a licensed, bonded contractor to come out the same week as they promised for even just an estimate, that's doing pretty good.
We have to than our lucky stars that I'm as handy as I am..
It's no different here...in the Deep South everyone moves sloooooooooooowly. They don't show up, don't call, you call and leave a message asking where were they?, and then they show up out of the blue at some time down the road, call and wonder why you have nothing better to do than sit around and wait for them (this applies to residential & business customers btw) and they end up being angry at you! ACK!
I was the project manager for 2 years on this house during the renovations...I'm familiar with this scenario. Still makes me angry. Luckily, my dh and I are also pretty handy.
Our painter is usually a good guy...he called this afternoon and said, "Are we still on for tomorrow?" He owned up to the miscommunication there and will be here tomorrow morning. Never heard a peep from the insurance dude... Add that to the list for tomorrow....

We have to than our lucky stars that I'm as handy as I am..
You said it before I could...and you are so right! We had to BEG subcontractors to come give a quote when we were building.
An hour late is the new on time in NM!

They are at fivebucks every morning...they get to the job sites on their time, that is the way it is. It is a contractors control issue. :)
When we moved in here we asked for a list of WHO to call, as the list of who NOT to call is very lengthy. Like the guy who told DH he would assist in trimming all the hedges for $50 an hour. Not very likely dude.

As promised, the electrician was here this morning. Did what he could (he needs drywall up before he can finish connecting the light but left us a temporary light for in the meantime. I have no complaints about the plumbing shop here in town. They installed our furnace (we decided even if their bid was as much as $500 higher we would stay local - he was within $25) and did plumbing work AND since we are a business if I call for something in guest area or the furnace, we get priority. It is only my area - or DH making the call late - that we have to wait like anyone else. Deconstructors and roofers are a different story.

Back