Late check-out at a hotel?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
Is it standard to ask and receive a FREE 2 hour late check-out at any hotel where you have stayed?

We've been half an hour or so late checking out at a hotel before, and it's never been a problem.
I have requested and gotten late check out before for no cost, but it depended on occupancy. As they weren't full up, they were ok with that. I imagine if they expected a full house, then they wouldn't have approved it.

I've never asked for a late checkout so can't answer specifically, but I would think the size of a hotel would give them the flexibility to do this often because, with 20 rooms on a floor the staff can pretty easily skip on to clean the other rooms and come back later to the one(s) with the late checkout.
And, as SM101 mentioned, if they aren't full, they aren't in such a hurry to have every room ready by check-in time. Most rooms are similar in a hotel so guests can be put in any available and it's all pretty much the same.
Smaller operations like a B&B, where every room is unique, would certainly have a harder time doing this for guests since guests often request a specific room.

Not standard, but we have requested it and the hotel has said OK (son's wedding was one instance, but they had a lot of rooms from that). I guess if it doesn't inconvenience them too much, they'll agree.
But then recently we have had housekeeping knocking on our door a good hour or more before check-out. My dh moves slowly in the morning and this is irksome because dealing with housekeeping knocking on the door takes away from getting him to get packed and get out!! (Now you have a glimpse into the other side of why people leave close to check-out time....)

Not standard!
Once I asked if it would be ok if I waited in their small entry with my bags since I was tagging along with DH on business & he had a morning meeting. They openly told me to feel free to stay in the room if I would prefer and they would call me there if they needed to have me vacate the room. - Very nice.
On another trip we did ask for a late check out (not sure if we paid or if free) but had the housekeeping staff knock every 15 min., spoke little English, so we gave up & left.

Not standard, but we have requested it and the hotel has said OK (son's wedding was one instance, but they had a lot of rooms from that). I guess if it doesn't inconvenience them too much, they'll agree.
But then recently we have had housekeeping knocking on our door a good hour or more before check-out. My dh moves slowly in the morning and this is irksome because dealing with housekeeping knocking on the door takes away from getting him to get packed and get out!! (Now you have a glimpse into the other side of why people leave close to check-out time....).
was really cross in a similar situation - we had the chamber maid knock about 9am and we were asleep - literally knocked and was in the room before we had woken up - was really cross and complained.

The carts are ready to roll, in the hallway every hotel I am staying, you can barely get out by check out time, they want you out to begin cleaning the rooms.

Not standard!
Once I asked if it would be ok if I waited in their small entry with my bags since I was tagging along with DH on business & he had a morning meeting. They openly told me to feel free to stay in the room if I would prefer and they would call me there if they needed to have me vacate the room. - Very nice.
On another trip we did ask for a late check out (not sure if we paid or if free) but had the housekeeping staff knock every 15 min., spoke little English, so we gave up & left..
copperhead said:
On another trip we did ask for a late check out (not sure if we paid or if free) but had the housekeeping staff knock every 15 min., spoke little English, so we gave up & left.
My one time paying for a late checkout ($50), so we didn't have to wander aimlessly around with our bags waiting for the train, met with the same thing. Housekeeping kept knocking and I kept telling them we weren't leaving until 3 PM. They knocked every half hour.

Not standard!
On another trip we did ask for a late check out (not sure if we paid or if free) but had the housekeeping staff knock every 15 min., spoke little English, so we gave up & left..
copperhead said:
My one time paying for a late checkout ($50), so we didn't have to wander aimlessly around with our bags waiting for the train, met with the same thing. Housekeeping kept knocking and I kept telling them we weren't leaving until 3 PM. They knocked every half hour.
Madeleine said:
copperhead said:
I'm surprised the front desk didn't tell the housekeepers of the late checkout so they wouldn't bother you until after you were gone.

Not standard!
copperhead said:
Madeleine said:
copperhead said:
I'm surprised the front desk didn't tell the housekeepers of the late checkout so they wouldn't bother you until after you were gone.
ive worked in big hotels - front desk tells head of housekeeping - head of housekeeping tells supervisor - housekeepers just want to be finished and go home plus may or may not have been told and may or may not speak english - its that simple.

Not standard!
copperhead said:
Madeleine said:
copperhead said:
Olga said:
Madeleine said:
copperhead said:
I should have called the front desk to let them know we were being pestered. Partly my fault because I bet the housekeepers hear a lot of times that a late check-out has been arranged when it hasn't.

Not standard!
copperhead said:
Madeleine said:
copperhead said:
ive worked in big hotels - front desk tells head of housekeeping - head of housekeeping tells supervisor - housekeepers just want to be finished and go home plus may or may not have been told and may or may not speak english - its that simple.
I know it's not always easy .. but organization is so helpful.

We make late checkout a purchasable feature. We call it our "Lazy Morning Option" and allow for a later breakfast (we have a fixed time because of our small size) and late check out (by 1 p.m.) We still have time to flip the room since the next check-in is not until 3 p.m.
This is a very good money maker for us. It's very popular and costs us nothing.

Back