Late guests could not find B&B

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NW Natterbug

Reaction score
Our first big oops. They called at 6p, still over two hours away. DH stayed up. I have to be up at 3:30A, so went to sleep. Our cell phone went into non recieve mode (out of range) while sitting on my desktop.
I get up in to morning to prep the breakfasts. DH still sleeping on couch. No unknown car in drive. Check phone, retrieve message. They were just past our area at 10p. Since the phone did not ring, we did not hear. They probably had to drive another hour to find shelter at that time of night.
Not good.
Posting today under: NW Natterbug.

It is still not your fault. Don't worry about it. Didn't they know how long it would take to reach your place? DId they say they stopped or they just still couldn't find you?

Did they have directions?
If so, then it has nothing more to do with you. You aren't their Mommy, they are surely full grown adults.

Did you have their cell number?
We frequently have guest get turned around on our little country roads EVEN with directions. If they are much later than their schedule arrival, I will give them a courtesy call to make sure they are not hopelessly lost or in a ditch somewhere.
For some strange reason, certain individuals will NOT stop to ask directions or call. I guess they feel it's admitting defeat.

Well, this is ending in the best way it possibly could. The guests DID try to call our cell#, which did not go through, they DID stop locally, and were directed to our place by a local, but as it was so dark, did not see our sign, which is not well-lit. (VERY difficult to get signage here because we are on a scenic byway)
They proceded on to Portland. I phoned this morning, apologized up one side and down the other, told her her deposit refund would be in the mail today, and she said "I'll try you again next year, coming with with my daughter"
Big relief on my part. She was very gracious. We will be
-sending maps with the confirmation (previously did not, because so many on this forum say they don't bring them anyway)
-getting a new cell service. This has been on the list for awhile, but will happen the minute our current contract is up.
This could have turned out to be much much worse.
NW Natterbug, relieved.

Well, this is ending in the best way it possibly could. The guests DID try to call our cell#, which did not go through, they DID stop locally, and were directed to our place by a local, but as it was so dark, did not see our sign, which is not well-lit. (VERY difficult to get signage here because we are on a scenic byway)
They proceded on to Portland. I phoned this morning, apologized up one side and down the other, told her her deposit refund would be in the mail today, and she said "I'll try you again next year, coming with with my daughter"
-sending maps with the confirmation (previously did not, because so many on this forum say they don't bring them anyway)
-getting a new cell service. This has been on the list for awhile, but will happen the minute our current contract is up.
NW Natterbug, relieved..
Sounds like you did everything you could!

WHAT THE!
So they had no directions, just an address? Well, once again, I would like to reiterate it is not up to you to hand hold to get to your place. Heck I have traveled extreme remote and never considered it the job of the lodging to lead me in, answer my calls...what did people do before cell phones?
Roads in the country at night ARE dark. People come here and can't find their way out of a paper bag! I meant to say, they can't work out how to drive from the front where the sign is to the street behind where there is an even bigger sign to the parking area. Glad it worked out.

NW Natterbug, relieved..
Do you send snail or email confirms? Maybe a link to the map on your website in the confirm would help them. At that point you've done what you can. I'm going to go add a link in the confirm to the map on my website. At least it will give them the general area.
But, like Joe said, people travel all the time to remote and not so remote places and they get there just fine. If they had written directions or directions you gave on the phone, you did what you could.
Heck, you can see my parking area from the main road but how many people drive right by the sign that tells them to 'turn here'? We leave it on all night if we have late checkins and they still drive right by it. It's the only thing illuminated on the street at that point. They should see it for no other reason than it's lit up!

I always ask people if they can print map to us from my web site when I send confirmation. I also send written directions. Some people forget to bring the directions but that's not my fault. We should always include directions with our confirmations.

I am bad sometimes too at bringing specific directions....One place we were staying at sent me a confirmation of our stay when we booked several months in advance. There was road construction so they sent special directions to help us avoid the roadwork.....I saved the directions but then when we took our trip I forgot all about them.......until we got stuck in traffic
cry_smile.gif
I now try to print out confirmations, etc. and keep them all together in 1 folder until our trip.

I am bad sometimes too at bringing specific directions....One place we were staying at sent me a confirmation of our stay when we booked several months in advance. There was road construction so they sent special directions to help us avoid the roadwork.....I saved the directions but then when we took our trip I forgot all about them.......until we got stuck in traffic
cry_smile.gif
I now try to print out confirmations, etc. and keep them all together in 1 folder until our trip..
GeorgiaGirl said:
cry_smile.gif
I now try to print out confirmations, etc. and keep them all together in 1 folder until our trip.
Some guests walk in with the confirmation in hand and I can see how they utlilized it, that is always helpful. Highlighting directions and phone #.
The one thing I USED to do which was soooo handy but I don't now is actually put a small photo of the front so they can immediate see it when driving. I am in all text now since spam filters chewed up or blocked my images anyway, which is a shame, as it was a handy tool. Many guests we have stay in one BnB after anotheh and forget teh details after planning it, like you mentioned, months in advance.

I include turn by turn directions from the Interstate and as much as possible a suggested routing from their town (or where they will be coming from) in my Confirmation letter that I e-mail.

cry_smile.gif
I now try to print out confirmations, etc. and keep them all together in 1 folder until our trip..
GeorgiaGirl said:
cry_smile.gif
Some guests walk in with the confirmation in hand and I can see how they utlilized it, that is always helpful. Highlighting directions and phone #.
The one thing I USED to do which was soooo handy but I don't now is actually put a small photo of the front so they can immediate see it when driving. I am in all text now since spam filters chewed up or blocked my images anyway, which is a shame, as it was a handy tool. Many guests we have stay in one BnB after anotheh and forget teh details after planning it, like you mentioned, months in advance.
We added a photo of the street to the website so guests could see where to turn. They have to get that far 'on their own' but I thought that would help.

We include both written and an illustrated map with both email and snail mail confirmations, but regardless of whether or not folks use them, forget them or can't read them is no excuse to not be sending them as a standard practice. Even if your place is on the main drag in front of the most recognizable landmark in town.
The well for any of us is too easily poisoned by a grumpy guest and I can think of no better way to get grumpy than to both get lost and not be able to contact my host.
Its way too easy to get turned around when one's mind is in vacation mode or in a strange place.
I'm not defending these guests, they should have tried harder to reach you.
When folks don't make it here by the end of our normal check in window, we are checking the phone every ten minutes until we figure out what is going to happen. At 10pm, if I haven't heard from them, I am calling whatever contact number we've received.
If its a phone reservation, one of the primary questions I ask right after the one about dietary restrictions is if the guest will be traveling with a cell phone.
Even with all that due diligence expended on our part, we are constantly amazed by the lack of ability to follow clear directions, the stupid pride to ignore clear directions and wander around aimlessly and getting in a tizzy before finally calling, utilizing faulty internet derived mapping programs, etc...
Its a wonder how some of these folks get from their homes to the grocery store.
We just had one check in yesterday, who would have arrived an hour early if not for their lack of ability. Once here, he wanted to criticize me and my directions and actually had the gall to quote directional verbage that isn't even on the directions he had in his hand.
He probably was projecting a little in order to save face for his directional deficiencies, but either way, we never try to embarrass someone who can't find their way.

We include both written and an illustrated map with both email and snail mail confirmations, but regardless of whether or not folks use them, forget them or can't read them is no excuse to not be sending them as a standard practice. Even if your place is on the main drag in front of the most recognizable landmark in town.
The well for any of us is too easily poisoned by a grumpy guest and I can think of no better way to get grumpy than to both get lost and not be able to contact my host.
Its way too easy to get turned around when one's mind is in vacation mode or in a strange place.
When folks don't make it here by the end of our normal check in window, we are checking the phone every ten minutes until we figure out what is going to happen. At 10pm, if I haven't heard from them, I am calling whatever contact number we've received.
If its a phone reservation, one of the primary questions I ask right after the one about dietary restrictions is if the guest will be traveling with a cell phone.
Even with all that due diligence expended on our part, we are constantly amazed by the lack of ability to follow clear directions, the stupid pride to ignore clear directions and wander around aimlessly and getting in a tizzy before finally calling, utilizing faulty internet derived mapping programs, etc...
We just had one check in yesterday, who would have arrived an hour early if not for their lack of ability. Once here, he wanted to criticize me and my directions and actually had the gall to quote directional verbage that isn't even on the directions he had in his hand.
He probably was projecting a little in order to save face for his directional deficiencies, but either way, we never try to embarrass someone who can't find their way..
I'm amazed at the lengths some of you guys go to. We have clear directions on our website and an address. We are in a very rural location and some GPS systems can't find us (so we mention that on the website) but nobody expects us to do anything other than guide them in when they call us.
Hill Farm Bed and Breakfast

NW Natterbug, relieved..
What cell service are you currently using? Just curious.
I want an iphone so bad, but everyone who uses ATT in our house has dead zones...so I got a google phone instead.

He probably was projecting a little in order to save face for his directional deficiencies, but either way, we never try to embarrass someone who can't find their way..
We had a guest who was due in at 10pm call us at 12:30am to chastize us. "where ARE you? Very angry. She has my map with directions in hand, but didn't know left from right. And she was a PhD. Go figure. And that was just the beginning of our woes whith her. She is on the "never again" list.

Our cell service is Nextel/Sprint, because that w a s the best available in this area for many years. Looks like ATT is on top right now. That's probably where we're going.

Back