Late Night Phone Calls

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
We have our phone on all the time in case of an emergency with a guest. Just in case they lock themselves out of their room, etc.
Last night we get a call at 12:56AM for a room for "tonight" (which I still don't know if they meant Saturday night/Sunday or Sunday night/Monday, but I digress). I answered no, politely and hung up.
I actually do have a room for Sunday/Monday, but do I really want someone so rude staying at my place? NO!
We sometimes get a call by someone who is making an error with the time zones from Europe. But who the heck calls a B&B at 1AM in the morning looking for a room?

we did an offer in a national paper (it was free so figured we would give it a go) - people were ringing up all hours! I have no idea what people are thinking!

I had someone call 3 times at midnight. I don't answer the phone after 9. She finally left a message. I called her back at 8 AM (MY time) but alas, it was her office number. She turned out to be a colossal pill and I ended up just letting her out of her reservation so she would go bother someone else. It was worth the $800 just to not have her in my house spoiling the atmosphere for everyone else.
As it worked out she was hell on wheels at the place she did stay at.

People call at all hours. I just had a call come in at 1:30am. I turn off the ringer at 7pm and I am done after that since I consider myself to be closed after that point. If I did not do this I would probably go insane. I will keep the phone on if I have a late arrival who is still on their way. After hours all the guests can call my cell phone if there is an emergency.

But who the heck calls a B&B at 1AM in the morning looking for a room?
Those that have no idea what a B&B is! We can thank GPS and internet phones for this. Which usually I am happy for, just not at the wee hours! This may become more of the norm as technology continues to advance.
Now that my parents are both deceased I no longer answer my bus phone late at night. Our guest room phones can reach us by dialing 1 and if someone has issues getting in they can ring the bell.

I too leave my phone on in case of emergency. The late night calls totally annoy me - surely to goodness one knows early in the day that one is going to need to sleep somewhere. It's absolutely rude to call late at night!

We have 4 inn phones. One of them talks to us. 2 of them just ring. The one in the bedroom is turned off. No ring at all. I do not want to be woken up by some nutcase looking for a place to stay at 2 AM.
I know that Columbus Day is not celebrated all over this country, but if you're traveling to other places don't you look ahead to see if there is any availability before you board the plane? We were getting calls until 9 PM last night for rooms (plural) for families with kids and dogs. You are kidding, right? 9 PM and you don't have a place for your kids to sleep?
And then the sarcasm- WHAT is going ON there this weekend? Everyone is full.
How about- a US holiday, a Canadian holiday, college parents' weekend, foliage season? There are four things that don't even include all the festivals. Those without reservations cannot believe anyone else would come to this state in Oct.
I have a friend who cleaned her daughter's room because she was falling for the sob stories and she put a family in there. Tourist info closes around 6 PM so they're on their own. Heck, the mgr at the drugstore called me last night because he had a family desperate for a place to stay.

Middle of the day calls-
  • Is this the shopping center? Well, is there a shopping center nearby? Is that the Square One Mall? (wrong state altogether)
  • We'd like to get a massage. (well, good for you, but this isn't a spa.)
  • Again last night (we've had this before)- We just got to town, where should we go for dinner with 2 kids?
  • Is this the Chamber of Commerce? (I really have to find out why people are calling here thinking they've gotten the number for tourist info.)
  • Are there any hotels nearby? (this is above and beyond the one who called the other day wanting a motel) Which ones? Isn't there a ____________? (Oh, we have one of those, but I'm keeping it a secret.)

Middle of the day calls-
  • Is this the shopping center? Well, is there a shopping center nearby? Is that the Square One Mall? (wrong state altogether)
  • Again last night (we've had this before)- We just got to town, where should we go for dinner with 2 kids?
  • Is this the Chamber of Commerce? (I really have to find out why people are calling here thinking they've gotten the number for tourist info.)
  • Are there any hotels nearby? (this is above and beyond the one who called the other day wanting a motel) Which ones? Isn't there a ____________? (Oh, we have one of those, but I'm keeping it a secret.)
Madeleine said:
No, not the shopping centre. Not tourist information either. We are willing to look that information up for you on Google. We charge the lowly fee of $1 per minute with a $10 minimum. Can we have your credit card number, please.
Madeleine said:
I'd like to get a cheque for a million dollars. Looks like we are both going to be disappointed.
Madeleine said:
Your traveling with goats?
Madeleine said:
Nope, not the chamber of commerce. But we can sell you a business if you are interested.
Madeleine said:
Yes, the Chateau Frontenac is a beautiful hotel. (866) 540-4460 Goodbye. (When they realize it's both out of their price range and not even in the same country, they might think twice about calling a business and asking for another business.
Method two... Would you call the local Apple Computer store and ask them where to buy an Android telephone? So why do you think it's acceptable to call me and ask me for the telephone numbers to my competitors?

We have 4 inn phones. One of them talks to us. 2 of them just ring. The one in the bedroom is turned off. No ring at all. I do not want to be woken up by some nutcase looking for a place to stay at 2 AM.
I know that Columbus Day is not celebrated all over this country, but if you're traveling to other places don't you look ahead to see if there is any availability before you board the plane? We were getting calls until 9 PM last night for rooms (plural) for families with kids and dogs. You are kidding, right? 9 PM and you don't have a place for your kids to sleep?
How about- a US holiday, a Canadian holiday, college parents' weekend, foliage season? There are four things that don't even include all the festivals. Those without reservations cannot believe anyone else would come to this state in Oct.
I have a friend who cleaned her daughter's room because she was falling for the sob stories and she put a family in there. Tourist info closes around 6 PM so they're on their own. Heck, the mgr at the drugstore called me last night because he had a family desperate for a place to stay..
I get these every time there is a Canadian and American holiday at the same time. One year it was so bad I had people crying on the telephone. The worst hotel in town, the one that I wouldn't even suggest taking a crack Lady of the Night into... was full. There were people in hotels about an hour out of town and some even over the border because there was nothing in town. I just don't get those people who don't plan on holiday weekends.
I had a European man show up with his two kids looking for a triple, I was too expensive for him... I just hate to see what kind of place they ended up staying in, if I was too expensive for him.

I have a friend who cleaned her daughter's room because she was falling for the sob stories and she put a family in there. Tourist info closes around 6 PM so they're on their own. Heck, the mgr at the drugstore called me last night because he had a family desperate for a place to stay..
I just don't understand what is up with some of these people? Don't they have a clue this is your area's peak season?? And they just take off and think they will be ok? We did that the first trip we took after we got married. Hit San Jose about 11 PM and thought we would find a room!!! DUH!!! That was the first and the very last time we ever did that!!!

had a couple this friday - do you have a room for tonight and tomorro - stood with bags on the doorstep had come one the train.
I could do the friday but not the saturday - emailed on our ring and found them a room - got the address and phone number and gave it to them (this room could go any time)
Asked at breakfast Did you get fixed up? oh we thought we would walk round and book it this morning - me "and you think the room will still be avaliable?"
I gave them the number so they could ring straight away and book!

I once had a young couple with a baby knock on the door at 10pm in Mid August desperate for a room. I tried all my usual contacts but in the end sent them to Inv erne ss.

I once had a young couple with a baby knock on the door at 10pm in Mid August desperate for a room. I tried all my usual contacts but in the end sent them to Inv erne ss..
You couldn't offer then a bed of hay in the stable, eh?
wink_smile.gif

Back