Late Phone Calls

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrambled_eggs

Reaction score
Had some people call me around noon asking if I had rooms for the night. I told them yes. They were 6 hours away but weren't leaving for a while. I told her check in was from 3-6pm. They said they would call back in a few hours after talking it over. Well I never heard back from them in a few hours. They called at 10pm and left a message said they were getting close to the B & B. I had my phone turned off and everything was shut down with the full house sign up and I was in bed. I don't take phone calls or random check-ins like that in the late hours. I have had some strange people at those hours so I don't even want to deal with them. If they have a reservation made in advance with a credit crad I think that is ok and will work with them. What would you all do? What should I say to them because I need to call them back.

I believe I would tell them that since they did not make a reservation no room was held for them. That you only take guaranteed reservations - that means name, address, phone, and credit card number. Since you had none for them, there was no reservation and therefore, no room.
You are going to be the bad guy no matter what you say or do because they sound like the kind of louts who go through life expecting everything to be there for THEM! We called, yes, but you failed to call back and comnfirm with credit card number. Just my opinion.

I agree. You didn't do anything wrong. Don't worry about it - in fact I might not even call them back. They didn't have a reservation and you don't owe them an explanation.

No reservation = no room. It's simple as that.

As others have said, you owe them nothing. If they didn't give you a credit card to reserve the room, they do not have a reservation. Forget them. Next time something like this happens, just say, " I have a room I would be happy to reserve for you, I just need your credit card to hold and confirm a reservation." If they balk, too bad. Then you have Nothing available. Go to bed and sleep:)

i would not call them back. if they call you, listen to what they have to say and then explain as above. only explain as much or as little as you feel the need to. or a simple 'sorry, i did not hear back from you earlier'
it doesn't help what already happened ... but for future reference
absolutely ... you must get a cc number for someone who wants a room held ...
in addition, you say you only admit folks as late as xyz o'clock.
your house, your safety, your needs, your rules. if you choose to bend the rules and wait up for someone, it is YOUR choice. maybe because the place i ran had 'inn' in the name, people thought i had 24 hour staff like a hotel and did not understand how 'the whole staff could be in bed'.
wink_smile.gif

i would not call them back. if they call you, listen to what they have to say and then explain as above. only explain as much or as little as you feel the need to. or a simple 'sorry, i did not hear back from you earlier'
it doesn't help what already happened ... but for future reference
absolutely ... you must get a cc number for someone who wants a room held ...
in addition, you say you only admit folks as late as xyz o'clock.
your house, your safety, your needs, your rules. if you choose to bend the rules and wait up for someone, it is YOUR choice. maybe because the place i ran had 'inn' in the name, people thought i had 24 hour staff like a hotel and did not understand how 'the whole staff could be in bed'.
wink_smile.gif
seashanty said:
people thought i had 24 hour staff like a hotel and did not understand how 'the whole staff could be in bed'.
wink_smile.gif
Or how the whole staff could be in ONE bed ;)

Thanks for your suggestions. I makes me feel good to have some people to talk to. The only reason I thought I should call them back is in case they write a negative review. I am always worried about that.

Thanks for your suggestions. I makes me feel good to have some people to talk to. The only reason I thought I should call them back is in case they write a negative review. I am always worried about that..
Don't let review fear take you over for heaven's sake!! If they didn't stay with you they are not entitled to write a review. If they did post it..then you respond.

Oh, I agree! DO NOT start worrying about reviews and your business. I never think about reviews and I don't worry if I have to charge for cancels within my cancel policy, etc. etc.

Thanks for your suggestions. I makes me feel good to have some people to talk to. The only reason I thought I should call them back is in case they write a negative review. I am always worried about that..
The ball was in their court. If they really wanted to make this a solid resveration they would have called. Don't worry about a review they more that likely won't even think of it. This is why I tell them we cannot hold a room without a cc so if they could call back as soon as they know.

Back