laundering linen

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
i have a lovely linen shirt and some napkins to 'do up'. the shirt is especially irritating ... it's pretty but wrinkles up fast as it's worn. it's long and the bottom wrinkles up badly. in pictures, on models, it looks 'chique' on me i think it looks messy. i assume i'll have to iron it after i wash it. any tips for the best way to launder it? and the napkins --- they are a mass of wrinkles as well.
thanks.

oh ... and the shirt tag says machine wash cold, tumble dry, light iron

oh ... and the shirt tag says machine wash cold, tumble dry, light iron.
I take my flax and linen shirts right out of the washer and hang them up to dry. This takes some of the wrinkles out of them but I still have to iron which i do while they are still damp. I do this with our napkins, placemats and one set of Laura Ashley sheets we use. They are so lovely, but no more buying sheets you have to iron! I hate ironing and everyone else in the family conveniently "forgot" to learn how!
Right now I'm getting blood out of sheets, duvet cover, and expensive comforter. Using Adolph's meat tenderizer, but it's no disappearing act, takes reapplication and a bit of scrubbing. Argghhhh. Don't people notice when they are bleeding? Looks like a foot or leg wound. I told hubby, who is vacuuming that room right now, to check for blood on the carpet as well.

I agree with you the trick is to iron them when they are damp. If you have a strong steam setting on your iron that really helps ( I spent a quite a bit on my iron and it has been worth every penny!) It helps as well if your iron is one of the heavier ones though if you have to do a lot of ironing then it really builds up your arms. I would also have a spray full of water on stand by for the really deep wrinkles and spray them as you go. I wouldn't attempt to tumble dry just pop them on a radiator where you can see them.

seashanty said:
i have a lovely linen shirt and some napkins to 'do up'. the shirt is especially irritating ... it's pretty but wrinkles up fast as it's worn. it's long and the bottom wrinkles up badly. in pictures, on models, it looks 'chique' on me i think it looks messy. i assume i'll have to iron it after i wash it. any tips for the best way to launder it? and the napkins --- they are a mass of wrinkles as well.
thanks.
Spray starch!

i hate this shirt! it is sooo pretty and such a misery. it's one of those 'big shirts' ... ironed it up with starch and after wearing a little while it's all wrinkles. bah! but the napkins look great.

i hate this shirt! it is sooo pretty and such a misery. it's one of those 'big shirts' ... ironed it up with starch and after wearing a little while it's all wrinkles. bah! but the napkins look great..
The main reason I NEVER buy anything linen. Don't like the wrinkly look:-(

Back