Laundering Linens

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mmanor

Reaction score
Hello, I am new here and have a question about the frequency of laundering/dry cleaning bed duvets, duvet covers and bedspreads. I would appreciate insight on how often others perform this task. Thank you!

If you're using duvets, wash the covers after every guest check out. Have back up covers to make things easier on yourself.
Don't buy anything that has to go to the dry cleaner! That way lies insanity.
If you have multiple layers like top sheet, blanket, quilt, then wash the blanket and quilt every couple of weeks.

If you're using duvets, wash the covers after every guest check out. Have back up covers to make things easier on yourself.
Don't buy anything that has to go to the dry cleaner! That way lies insanity.
If you have multiple layers like top sheet, blanket, quilt, then wash the blanket and quilt every couple of weeks..
Thank you, I was thinking along those lines and am glad to that seems appropriate.

We have duck down/feather duvets so totally impractical to wash at home, so they go to dry cleaners in winter if need be.
Covers after change of guests or mid stay for more than 4 nighters.
I have throws on the beds which get cleaned every 2-3 weeks, some are washable (blanket fleece/teddy bear style) others are chenille which are supposed to be dry clean only but to be honest 2 dry cleans cost more than the throw in the first place, so they go in the machine on a hand wash/delicates setting and get replaced if they're tatty.

We have duck down/feather duvets so totally impractical to wash at home, so they go to dry cleaners in winter if need be.
Covers after change of guests or mid stay for more than 4 nighters.
I have throws on the beds which get cleaned every 2-3 weeks, some are washable (blanket fleece/teddy bear style) others are chenille which are supposed to be dry clean only but to be honest 2 dry cleans cost more than the throw in the first place, so they go in the machine on a hand wash/delicates setting and get replaced if they're tatty..
I throw the down duvets in the washer & dryer. Takes forever to dry, but I only use them in winter when it's slow.

We've tried the triple sheeting thing in our new cottages, and it seems to work out well. There is the fitted sheet, a flat sheet, blanket in between, and another fitted sheet over that. Guests (almost) never touch the blanket. Our housekeepers grumble about this new way, but they're used to it now.

We've tried the triple sheeting thing in our new cottages, and it seems to work out well. There is the fitted sheet, a flat sheet, blanket in between, and another fitted sheet over that. Guests (almost) never touch the blanket. Our housekeepers grumble about this new way, but they're used to it now..
ChrisandShelley said:
We've tried the triple sheeting thing in our new cottages, and it seems to work out well. There is the fitted sheet, a flat sheet, blanket in between, and another fitted sheet over that. Guests (almost) never touch the blanket. Our housekeepers grumble about this new way, but they're used to it now.
I use duvets, which the housekeepers also hate, but they do it. So basically the same thing, 2 sheets on top with a comforter stuffed between them, but the 2 top sheets are sewn together at top and on both sides, so NO WAY can guests touch the blanket. I've slept in triple-sheeted beds where it still came unraveled in the night and I'm touching what I assume to be a rarely-washed blanket.

I also have a top sheet, so it's fitted sheet on bottom, then a top sheet, then duvet with a comforter in it. In Europe they usually omit the top sheet and just put the duvet "system" on top the bottom sheet. But I hate that because you're forced to either have the hot duvet on you, or throw it off and have nothing on you. I like to give people the option of nothing, or top sheet only, or top sheet plus duvet.

Back