Laundry Getting Torn in Machine

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethbay

Reaction score
During our caretaker interview, we were informed that the washing machine might need replacing. This is due to the current caretakers complaining that the washing machine (replaced since Hurricane Katrina) is "eating" or ripping the sheets. Now, I am not sure about y'all, but doesn't that sound like someone's overloading the machine? I guess I won't know until I get there, but it seems like the caretakers would complain that the machine is also "eating" or ripping their clothes, towels, and other washables.
confused_smile.gif

Either that or those sheets are in dire need of replacing. Maybe they are threadbare.

There might also be something in the washer that is amiss - a part sticking up where it shouldn't be, catching the sheets or towels. Is it a front loader?

There might also be something in the washer that is amiss - a part sticking up where it shouldn't be, catching the sheets or towels. Is it a front loader?.
The owner said it wasn't a commercial machine, so I'm going to ASSUME it's a top-loader. He said if there is a problem with it after all, they will switch it out with a commercial one.

I've had that happen a couple of times with my own clothes, usually light delicate fabrics that get caught under the agitator. I also have a top loader. I don't know what causes it but it hasn't happened enough to cause a problem and never with sheets or towels.

When I first started doing the B & B the sheets were tearing and ripping like you described. They looked like tears from a machine not tears that a person did. It is a front loading Whirlpool HE washer. I think I realized what what causing it because I havn't had any torn sheets in the last 3 years now. I had it set to spin the water out on super high speed so that I wouldn't have to dry very long. It was spinning with such force that it tore the sheets. I now set it to a medium spin and I have never had the problem again. I do have the machine fully loaded but there is a bit of room so it is not too tight. Also you should never mix towels and sheets together as they could get tangled during the spinning and tear the sheets.

When I first started doing the B & B the sheets were tearing and ripping like you described. They looked like tears from a machine not tears that a person did. It is a front loading Whirlpool HE washer. I think I realized what what causing it because I havn't had any torn sheets in the last 3 years now. I had it set to spin the water out on super high speed so that I wouldn't have to dry very long. It was spinning with such force that it tore the sheets. I now set it to a medium spin and I have never had the problem again. I do have the machine fully loaded but there is a bit of room so it is not too tight. Also you should never mix towels and sheets together as they could get tangled during the spinning and tear the sheets..
oceans said:
When I first started doing the B & B the sheets were tearing and ripping like you described. They looked like tears from a machine not tears that a person did. It is a front loading Whirlpool HE washer. I think I realized what what causing it because I havn't had any torn sheets in the last 3 years now. I had it set to spin the water out on super high speed so that I wouldn't have to dry very long. It was spinning with such force that it tore the sheets. I now set it to a medium spin and I have never had the problem again. I do have the machine fully loaded but there is a bit of room so it is not too tight. Also you should never mix towels and sheets together as they could get tangled during the spinning and tear the sheets.
If there is a rock or something hard in the washer on the high fastest spin cycle it would be like a bullet in the wash. Even jewelry or coins.

Back