Least restrictive deck views

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swirt

Forum founder. Former Owner.
Reaction score
I know some of you have beautiful decks with great views that you don't want obstructed. The deck on our house (not used by guests) originally had no railing. It only had 6" tall planter boxes attached to the edge of the deck all the way around. It was great for not blocking the view of the lake, and reminded you of where the edge of the deck was, but it wasn't safe.
With the arrival of bwirt, it needed to be changed. We needed a safe railing but still didn't want to obstruct the view. The best option for us was stainless steel cable. If anyone has a similar need for safety with unobstructed views, I highly reccommend it.
Here's the final view (crappy gray day in NY I am afraid).
fence12.jpg

If you are interested in the nuts and bolts (harr harr) here is a blog entry on the entire process of installing the cable railing

Nice!
thumbs_up.gif

Perfect application for both safety and unobstructed view!
Is that method generally accepted as code compliant?

Very nice!
Another option I've seen, my aunt has it on her deck overlooking the Pacific (yeah, life is tough), is glass, which for them also keeps down the noise from the PCH and cuts down on the wind.

Nice!
thumbs_up.gif

Perfect application for both safety and unobstructed view!
Is that method generally accepted as code compliant?.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Is that method generally accepted as code compliant?
Local and state code requires that a 4" ball can't fit between the cables. That's why the cables are 3" apart. If this were a deck for our guests I probably would go the additional step of having a solid rail across the top of the posts just so they don't do something like lean against the cable or act like it is a cable at a pro-wrestling event (boing).

not to argue or criticize, but shouldn't the horizontal cables be a little closer together? like every 2 3/4 inches instead of 3 inches? like crib slats? it seems you are offering the plans so just thought i'd mention it (don't get mad) i like the look

Very nice!
Another option I've seen, my aunt has it on her deck overlooking the Pacific (yeah, life is tough), is glass, which for them also keeps down the noise from the PCH and cuts down on the wind..
We looked at glass as an option. It is attractive and cuts down on the wind....its also 5-10 times more expensive :(
Our other hesitation about the glass was cleaning labrador nose prints, and sticky handed baby prints and bird poop and...(well you get the idea) off of the glass.

not to argue or criticize, but shouldn't the horizontal cables be a little closer together? like every 2 3/4 inches instead of 3 inches? like crib slats? it seems you are offering the plans so just thought i'd mention it (don't get mad) i like the look.
3" is the manufacturer recommendation as well as the suggestion from code enforcement. The cables are pretty tight, they have to be so they can't deflect to more than 4" when pressure is applied.
Personally I would have rather had them 6" apart so if a little one sticks their head in, they can get it back out without losing their ears ;)

I like that look ..and it better than the barbed wire we have around our property
tounge_smile.gif
Got to keep those cows out.

Just be careful the first time the dog tries to take a running jump into the lake from the deck...(insert smiley with bandage).
My dog ran into the screen door once, and that did it for her.

Guests from California told us that they use a form of plexiglass around their deck to keep their view of the pacific and maintain safety. I had never heard of that before but it seems like a great solution.

Another option still, would be a low wide built-in bench. It's 16" high, so it doesn''t block the view AND it keeps the little ones at bay...at least for the first 2-3 years. This has been grandchild tested on our deck.

Just be careful the first time the dog tries to take a running jump into the lake from the deck...(insert smiley with bandage).
My dog ran into the screen door once, and that did it for her..
Bree said:
Hee Hee I guess the perspective on the photo is a little confusing. That deck is about 50' in elevation above the lake and about 75' back from the water's edge....so if the dog tries to leap into the lake from the deck...we've got a lot more to worry about than whether he will bounce of the cable railing LOL

Guests from California told us that they use a form of plexiglass around their deck to keep their view of the pacific and maintain safety. I had never heard of that before but it seems like a great solution..
Country Girl said:
Guests from California told us that they use a form of plexiglass around their deck to keep their view of the pacific and maintain safety. I had never heard of that before but it seems like a great solution.
A few places on the lake have that (not suree whether it is plexiglass or actual glass). It does look nice, but it tends to look better on the modern looking places. Ours is a bit more rustic than that and would probably look out of place...and I know my wallet would look out of place...those systems are expensive.

Another option still, would be a low wide built-in bench. It's 16" high, so it doesn''t block the view AND it keeps the little ones at bay...at least for the first 2-3 years. This has been grandchild tested on our deck..
That was an option we explored. Though sitting at them they all encouraged facing in toward the center of the deck rather than looking out toward the lake. The few styles that allowed you to face out had a table-like top rail that was convenient for resting the wine on (a plus) but got in the way of the view.

It looks beautiful. Too bad you're selling..
It is hard knowing that the construction projects I take on now are for the benefit of someone else.
sad_smile.gif

I enjoy the projects anyway. That's one of the reasons I started documenting them in a blog..it gives me a way to go back and re-experience them.
cry_smile.gif

WOW! I'm impressed! It looks really good but I would still be scared to get too close to it
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
, but that's just me!

Bree said:
Hee Hee I guess the perspective on the photo is a little confusing. That deck is about 50' in elevation above the lake and about 75' back from the water's edge....so if the dog tries to leap into the lake from the deck...we've got a lot more to worry about than whether he will bounce of the cable railing LOL
I didn't realize it was so high. I figured it was set back a little because it looks like you also have a 'lower' deck. You just never know with dogs, tho!
I used to like to let my cat out on the roof but hubs said no, she'd jump!

Bree said:
I didn't realize it was so high. I figured it was set back a little because it looks like you also have a 'lower' deck. You just never know with dogs, tho!
I used to like to let my cat out on the roof but hubs said no, she'd jump!
Bree said:
I didn't realize it was so high. I figured it was set back a little because it looks like you also have a 'lower' deck.
The lower deck visible to the left in the picture is actually an elevator for moving stuff down to the beach that you don't want to carry up and down the stairs. Good for moving guest's kayaks and canoes when the bring them....also works for coolers of beer :)

Looks great! Besides glass or plexiglass (I agree with the extra work keeping it clean), this is definitely the best solution.
Although, at that high up, I might have put a top rail.
That's a gorgeous view BTW.

Back