Least restrictive deck views

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks fantastic! I just saw the wood posts until I read the mesage!
RIki

We were here recently and it had the same railing (nearly) as the one in your photo.
cut n paste this in to see it - [COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)] http://i42.tinypic.com/lwbbl.jpg [/COLOR]

Looks great! Besides glass or plexiglass (I agree with the extra work keeping it clean), this is definitely the best solution.
Although, at that high up, I might have put a top rail.
That's a gorgeous view BTW..
TLE041 said:
LOL The deck itself is only 4 ft off the ground then there is a hillside that leads down to the lake...nothing so steep that would cause you to topple end over end uncontrollably. ;)

We were here recently and it had the same railing (nearly) as the one in your photo.
cut n paste this in to see it - [COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)] http://i42.tinypic.com/lwbbl.jpg [/COLOR].
LOL That photo makes me queazy just looking at it. Glad they are using a similar railing :)

cut n paste this in to see it - [COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)] http://i42.tinypic.com/lwbbl.jpg [/COLOR].
Did you walk up or take the elevator? we walked down to the falls and and back up....that was enough for me and that was years ago:)

Looks great! Besides glass or plexiglass (I agree with the extra work keeping it clean), this is definitely the best solution.
That's a gorgeous view BTW..
TLE041 said:
LOL The deck itself is only 4 ft off the ground then there is a hillside that leads down to the lake...nothing so steep that would cause you to topple end over end uncontrollably. ;)
swirt said:
Whoops. When I read that I just thought that it was a 50 feet drop into the water/shoreline. At 4' high, I agree with the decision to forgo the top rail to preserve the uninterupted sightline.

Just be careful the first time the dog tries to take a running jump into the lake from the deck...(insert smiley with bandage).
My dog ran into the screen door once, and that did it for her..
Bree said:
Just be careful the first time the dog tries to take a running jump into the lake from the deck...(insert smiley with bandage).
My dog ran into the screen door once, and that did it for her.
Hee Hee I guess the perspective on the photo is a little confusing. That deck is about 50' in elevation above the lake and about 75' back from the water's edge....so if the dog tries to leap into the lake from the deck...we've got a lot more to worry about than whether he will bounce of the cable railing LOL
I didn't realize it was so high. I figured it was set back a little because it looks like you also have a 'lower' deck. You just never know with dogs, tho!
I used to like to let my cat out on the roof but hubs said no, she'd jump!
Bree said:
I didn't realize it was so high. I figured it was set back a little because it looks like you also have a 'lower' deck.
The lower deck visible to the left in the picture is actually an elevator for moving stuff down to the beach that you don't want to carry up and down the stairs. Good for moving guest's kayaks and canoes when the bring them....also works for coolers of beer :)
swirt said:
The lower deck visible to the left in the picture is actually an elevator for moving stuff down to the beach that you don't want to carry up and down the stairs. Good for moving guest's kayaks and canoes when the bring them....also works for coolers of beer :)
You have an elevator to the beach? Sigh...
angel_smile.gif

My dog ran into the screen door once, and that did it for her..
Bree said:
My dog ran into the screen door once, and that did it for her.
Hee Hee I guess the perspective on the photo is a little confusing. That deck is about 50' in elevation above the lake and about 75' back from the water's edge....so if the dog tries to leap into the lake from the deck...we've got a lot more to worry about than whether he will bounce of the cable railing LOL
I didn't realize it was so high. I figured it was set back a little because it looks like you also have a 'lower' deck. You just never know with dogs, tho!
I used to like to let my cat out on the roof but hubs said no, she'd jump!
Bree said:
I didn't realize it was so high. I figured it was set back a little because it looks like you also have a 'lower' deck.
swirt said:
You have an elevator to the beach? Sigh...
angel_smile.gif

Probably a "slopevator" is a better term..if it exisited. Its on rails like a train. It has no safety built in so it is not for use moving people. When we first bought the place, the control for running it was on the car so you had to be on it to run it. Our first year we had a guest that was an elevator inspector for NYC. He looked at it and winced, then said "you actually ride this?"
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

A week later I re-wired the switch so that I could stand on the deck and run it without having to be on it.

Nice job! I've seen those types of railings in nature areas. Certainly a good application there. Someday, maybe I'll have a view like that. sigh...

Back