Leather furniture

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Talk me into it or out of it. I'd like to get 2 new chairs for a guest room and I found leather chairs with good reviews at JCP. They are a mission/Craftsman style chair with leather cushions.
The style isn't exactly my place but these would go into the room that is really more 'modern' than the other rooms. I could get some nightstands to match which would help.
Yea or nay for a guest room?

which room?
i have two mission style chairs sort of with black leather cusions and footrests. (not real leather, it has some fancy name) i wish anyway, as far as the look goes ... the guests love them in the library. yes, esp the men. the foot rests took up so much room i pulled one out and put it at the foot of the bed in the captain's cabin room ... fits nicely there. and gives the hint of a more manly touch as opposed to 'feminine' everywhere ... not that men can't like flowers but you know what i mean.

I think SS is looking for naugehyde (spelled wrong probably but is phonetic).
I do not know if I would invest in leather the way PITAs find your place. One pen or pencil in the wrong place and you have rrriiiipppppp!

I do not know if I would invest in leather the way PITAs find your place. One pen or pencil in the wrong place and you have rrriiiipppppp!.
gillumhouse said:
I do not know if I would invest in leather the way PITAs find your place. One pen or pencil in the wrong place and you have rrriiiipppppp!
You tell 'em! I refuse to put anything of real value in our rooms. Unless your room rates are high enough to replace leather chairs on a regular basis, I'd rethink.

We have two leather modern-ish chairs in our library - they look like this but we got them pretty cheap on sale at Cost Plus World Market. They fit the space well, are comfortable and we have pretty eclectic furnishings anyway. We have one like this in our living room. They have held up well since we've got them - no scratches or rips, unlike my leather sofa in our area which has been decimated by our cats.

What kind of look are you going for?? Will leather chairs go with the theme/decor of that room? Like Muirford said, they can hold up well. I'm actually going to put a couple in our Texas style room....down the road. I've seen some comfy ones that are reasonably priced and they will just go with the decor in there better. They'll replace a sofa. I would make sure that the chairs you're considering are comfortable for reading.

I am sold on Microfiber fabric. Tough, stain resistant and looks like suede. We have two Morris Chairs from Barcalounger that have Microfiber on them. Holds up great. The only drawback we have found with the Morris Chair (not sure if that is the Mission style you are looking for.) is that the arms being wood, are cold in the winter (sucks the heat out of your arms when you sit in them) and kind of hot and sticky in the summer. I like the wood and the look, but the arms in the extreme seasons are not all that comfortable.

Yay, we have leather couches in our guest area, easy clean, just wipe them down. We went for an offbeat color too to spice it up...

Yay, we have leather couches in our guest area, easy clean, just wipe them down. We went for an offbeat color too to spice it up....
We have all leather in our great room and I like the easy care of it. We had corporate business meeting a few weeks ago and they loved the look. I spiced it up with some bright throw pillows(it is black). I also have 2 leather recliners in the upstairs TV loft--very comfy/

We have two leather modern-ish chairs in our library - they look like this but we got them pretty cheap on sale at Cost Plus World Market. They fit the space well, are comfortable and we have pretty eclectic furnishings anyway. We have one like this in our living room. They have held up well since we've got them - no scratches or rips, unlike my leather sofa in our area which has been decimated by our cats..
muirford said:
We have two leather modern-ish chairs in our library - they look like this but we got them pretty cheap on sale at Cost Plus World Market. They fit the space well, are comfortable and we have pretty eclectic furnishings anyway. We have one like this in our living room. They have held up well since we've got them - no scratches or rips, unlike my leather sofa in our area which has been decimated by our cats.
I saw the barrel chairs & I like them. And the LLBean one is similar to what I am looking at. JCP has them for $199 and $99 for the ottoman. I have a leather chair in our house, but we're careful with drinks & food. I figure if they get beat up, I recover them with cloth. They're not 'good' leather like the chair I have, but not naugahyde, either. It's a 'processed leather product'.
wink_smile.gif

This is the chair.

This is a very crowded shot of the room.
med_newchair.JPG

The new chairs would replace the wing chairs you see. The wing chairs would move to another room.

Yay, we have leather couches in our guest area, easy clean, just wipe them down. We went for an offbeat color too to spice it up....
We have all leather in our great room and I like the easy care of it. We had corporate business meeting a few weeks ago and they loved the look. I spiced it up with some bright throw pillows(it is black). I also have 2 leather recliners in the upstairs TV loft--very comfy/
riverbendnewbie said:
Same here. All the leather is reserved for the great room which is quite "lodgey" (is that a word?) lots of stone and wood etc. No deer antlers, but we do have Texas Long Horns! Guests seem to behave when your right there with them.

This is the chair.

med_newchair.JPG

The new chairs would replace the wing chairs you see. The wing chairs would move to another room..
Yep, that's a Morris Chair (though it doesn't mention an adjustable/reclining back). Hard to tell from that photo of your room, but it doesn't look like there is room for a Morris chair. Because of the style of the arms, they take up a fair amount of room (more than a wing chair)

This is the chair.

med_newchair.JPG

The new chairs would replace the wing chairs you see. The wing chairs would move to another room..
Those look pretty wide. Would you get the ottomans as well. Nice looking chairs but as you say...I dont' think the style matches your place.

This is the chair.

med_newchair.JPG

Yep, that's a Morris Chair (though it doesn't mention an adjustable/reclining back). Hard to tell from that photo of your room, but it doesn't look like there is room for a Morris chair. Because of the style of the arms, they take up a fair amount of room (more than a wing chair)
swirt said:
Good point about the width. I'll measure the wing chairs. The thing with the wing chairs is that they recline. So THAT takes up room and I can see where they've scraped the wall.

This is the chair.

med_newchair.JPG

swirt said:
Good point about the width. I'll measure the wing chairs. The thing with the wing chairs is that they recline. So THAT takes up room and I can see where they've scraped the wall.
I have to agree with CatLady, I don't think that style chair will go with that room unless you change the quilts out to go with that Mission style and bring something else in to tie it all together. jmvvho.

This is the chair.

med_newchair.JPG

swirt said:
Don't underestimate the width of those arms or how much space they 'feel' like they take up. That is one reason why our Morris chair is in the inn living room rather than in our OQ sitting room. It's a really comfortable chair but feels big and weighty.
Both our living room and library have lots of oak pieces like end tables and desks. I think the Morris chairs fit better with that. If you can find the leather barrel chairs that don't look too modern, I would think that they might be an okay replacement for the wing chairs.

So these would be a better choice for me?
Part of the problem is guests are used to those recliners. (I hate them.) So if I replaced them with these, they'd be tipped over with guests trying to 'recline'. I'm going to go out shopping tomorrow to a couple of furniture warehouse kinds of places to see what I can find. Maybe I can get something that is not a wing back but is not huge.

Part of the problem is guests are used to those recliners. (I hate them.) So if I replaced them with these, they'd be tipped over with guests trying to 'recline'. I'm going to go out shopping tomorrow to a couple of furniture warehouse kinds of places to see what I can find. Maybe I can get something that is not a wing back but is not huge..
They certainly would take up less room and they won't result in bruises on the side of hips. We're always bumping into the arms of our Mission chairs and the frame of our Mission bed and Mission night stands. DW swears "Mission" is code for bruised hips. I love the style, but there is a lot of extra wood sticking out to bang into.

Part of the problem is guests are used to those recliners. (I hate them.) So if I replaced them with these, they'd be tipped over with guests trying to 'recline'. I'm going to go out shopping tomorrow to a couple of furniture warehouse kinds of places to see what I can find. Maybe I can get something that is not a wing back but is not huge..
They certainly would take up less room and they won't result in bruises on the side of hips. We're always bumping into the arms of our Mission chairs and the frame of our Mission bed and Mission night stands. DW swears "Mission" is code for bruised hips. I love the style, but there is a lot of extra wood sticking out to bang into.
We just got a new shaker bed with a foot board that has an mission-like edge on it. I have wrapped our blanket around it because of our bruises. Oak is hard
confused_smile.gif

Back