Leavenworth WA ?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ukmaineiac

Reaction score
We're looking at a "just us" vacation next year. I'm currently really intrigued by Leavenworth WA as an Oktoberfest / winter getaway. Looks as if it has the charm of old Europe without leaving the country. Does anyone here have any personal experience or feedback?
We've taken one non-family vacation since we met 11 years ago and that was our honeymoon. Even then it was part business because we were looking at B&Bs to buy.
BTW - the first time DH mentioned a stay at Leavenworth all I could think of was the penitentiary which made me ask "what do you know that I don't?"

Leavenworth is a nice one day, maybe two day, trip. Oktoberfest is a great time to go, and since it's not too cold yet, you can incorporate some hiking with it. It's close enough to Seattle that you could make it a longer getaway if you wanted to spend some time there. How long do you have?

Leavenworth is a nice one day, maybe two day, trip. Oktoberfest is a great time to go, and since it's not too cold yet, you can incorporate some hiking with it. It's close enough to Seattle that you could make it a longer getaway if you wanted to spend some time there. How long do you have?.
Hi - thanks. I don't know how much time we'll have yet. I think we would be happy to spend extra time in a place that would normally merit only one or two days ...... sleeping in .... staying up late .... not thinking about "where next" or "why". The lodging would be really important.

Leavenworth is a nice one day, maybe two day, trip. Oktoberfest is a great time to go, and since it's not too cold yet, you can incorporate some hiking with it. It's close enough to Seattle that you could make it a longer getaway if you wanted to spend some time there. How long do you have?.
Hi - thanks. I don't know how much time we'll have yet. I think we would be happy to spend extra time in a place that would normally merit only one or two days ...... sleeping in .... staying up late .... not thinking about "where next" or "why". The lodging would be really important.
The last time I stayed there was the first time I ever stayed in a B&B - many, many years ago. I would highly recommend it if it were still there, but it is not. Hopefully someone else that is still local and has been there more recently can help you with the lodging. In the summer, you could easily spend a week there if you enjoy the nature - white water rafting, camping, hiking, renting bikes. A nice lodge with a huge wood burning fireplace would be very nice!

I have experience there.an anniv. And more...
If the weather is right you can go snowmobiling and have a blast. The town of Leavenworth itself is small, and will be packed for Octoberfest. The B&B where we stayed is "fortunately" out of business now, there are a few more there, and a hotel right on the river, or of course mountain cabins/lodges which is what I would opt for. When we went snowmobiling I wished I had done a package at one of the lodges and just drove into Leavenworth for dinner,site seeing.
i mention snow as it falls early there at timesI think it did this year.

The last time I stayed there was the first time I ever stayed in a B&B - many, many years ago. I would highly recommend it if it were still there, but it is not. Hopefully someone else that is still local and has been there more recently can help you with the lodging. In the summer, you could easily spend a week there if you enjoy the nature - white water rafting, camping, hiking, renting bikes. A nice lodge with a huge wood burning fireplace would be very nice!
Snow is just fine. Fireplace in room - exactly what we're looking for. Walking to restaurants, bars etc - perfect. I really appreciate the input from you, JB and anyone else.

I have experience there.an anniv. And more...
If the weather is right you can go snowmobiling and have a blast. The town of Leavenworth itself is small, and will be packed for Octoberfest. The B&B where we stayed is "fortunately" out of business now, there are a few more there, and a hotel right on the river, or of course mountain cabins/lodges which is what I would opt for. When we went snowmobiling I wished I had done a package at one of the lodges and just drove into Leavenworth for dinner,site seeing.
i mention snow as it falls early there at timesI think it did this year..
Love the advice and feedback - thankyou. Still early yet, but anticipation and planning is half the fun :)

Snow is just fine. Fireplace in room - exactly what we're looking for. Walking to restaurants, bars etc - perfect. I really appreciate the input from you, JB and anyone else.
We LOVE it there. We were luck to have spent xmas eve there. It was wonderful. Just picture perfect. We had just come out of the restaurant from supper. We were walking down town the band stand was playing Christmas carols. Then all of a sudden it started to snow! It was one of those picture card perfect snow falls . Big snow flakes falling slowly to the ground. Then they light up all the Christmas lights on all the stores. The big xmas tree on the main square by the pole lite up. It was just so breath taking . I just cannot tell in words how wonderful it was. Since then we have gone there at least once a year. It is not to far from Wenatchie {pardon the spelling] about 30 min drive. We have told many of American about Leaven worth it is a wonderful place to see and to visit..GOO GLE Leavenworth and you will find a B&B that will suite your needs. The town has a web site. There is also a hotel off the main drag that looks so beautiful all lite up. Sorry I can't remember the name. I hope I can remember later and will put the name of it here. But I hope you go there it is just like walking in a small German town. They have done a great job there making a small town who was dying into a beautiful tourist town one to be proud of.

Different perspective from this WA native. Love the area. Beautiful for hiking in summer. In December the town is all dressed up for Christmas. They do a beautiful job, and Amtrak runs a special train from Seattle. Fun.
In other times of year the ersatz Germany thing puts me off. Just me I know. The town saved itself decades ago with the German theme. Its a requirement to have the look, but for most businesses (not all), its just skin deep. Having said that, businesses know where their bread is buttered, and people are friendly and helpful. Out of towners pay the bills.
The real beauty there is in the outdoors. Washington is an amazing place for the outdoors. You can go from the beaches on coast, to the mountains (real ones, with alpine meadows and stunning hiking above the tree line), to the dry plains of the mid state, with massive geologic history left behind after the ancient draining of Lake Mazama in places like Dry Falls, and the wine country around Wenatchee, to the sparsely populated NE part of the state, with remnants of the mining heydays of decades ago still dominating parts of the landscape.
Our own corner of the SW is also sparsely populated along the Lower Columbia estuary. Great for canoeing and kayaking.
You travel through all these climate changes in just a day with few stops. Better in a week or two. Just writing this gives me a longing for a road trip.
I meant this to be a quick comment. Leavenworth is worth a visit, but we have so much more!
I should add - when we want a more out of the country experience without going very far, we go to Victoria BC. I need my gin and tonic in the Empress Hotel's Bengal room every other year or so to help keep me sane <grin>

I LOVE LEAVENWORTH!!! That's where my hubby and I fell in love with B&B's! And because of Leavenworth we determined to "one day" open a B&B AND we thought it would be THERE! LOL! Funny how time and life changes things up a bit! But who knows... we are headed back to the NW, maybe the Lord will lead us back to Leavenworth!
We went there Every year! Twice a year! Winter, and stayed at B&B's and in the summer we camped. Both our children were conceived there! (LOL! I know too much info!).
I never grow tired of it. We actually still have a picture of it on our wall here at our current B&B! We tell our guests about it if they have said they are headed that way.
You will Love it! I don't Love the crowds, and we always managed to go right before or right after the festivals so we didn't have to deal with the crowds.
NEVER have been treated badly or rudely.
We still go there every chance we get.
... oh, and yes, I am from WA... and miss it terribly..

I LOVE LEAVENWORTH!!! That's where my hubby and I fell in love with B&B's! And because of Leavenworth we determined to "one day" open a B&B AND we thought it would be THERE! LOL! Funny how time and life changes things up a bit! But who knows... we are headed back to the NW, maybe the Lord will lead us back to Leavenworth!
We went there Every year! Twice a year! Winter, and stayed at B&B's and in the summer we camped. Both our children were conceived there! (LOL! I know too much info!).
I never grow tired of it. We actually still have a picture of it on our wall here at our current B&B! We tell our guests about it if they have said they are headed that way.
You will Love it! I don't Love the crowds, and we always managed to go right before or right after the festivals so we didn't have to deal with the crowds.
... oh, and yes, I am from WA... and miss it terribly...
Sunshine said:
From all the things we have in common Sunny, we have that much not in common. I always laugh as I feel at times we are polar opposites. This has nothing to do with anything, other than to say that is why we get on so well, because this is so interesting to me, and I can't wait to meet you in person in December.
heart.gif

Different perspective from this WA native. Love the area. Beautiful for hiking in summer. In December the town is all dressed up for Christmas. They do a beautiful job, and Amtrak runs a special train from Seattle. Fun.
In other times of year the ersatz Germany thing puts me off. Just me I know. The town saved itself decades ago with the German theme. Its a requirement to have the look, but for most businesses (not all), its just skin deep. Having said that, businesses know where their bread is buttered, and people are friendly and helpful. Out of towners pay the bills.
The real beauty there is in the outdoors. Washington is an amazing place for the outdoors. You can go from the beaches on coast, to the mountains (real ones, with alpine meadows and stunning hiking above the tree line), to the dry plains of the mid state, with massive geologic history left behind after the ancient draining of Lake Mazama in places like Dry Falls, and the wine country around Wenatchee, to the sparsely populated NE part of the state, with remnants of the mining heydays of decades ago still dominating parts of the landscape.
Our own corner of the SW is also sparsely populated along the Lower Columbia estuary. Great for canoeing and kayaking.
You travel through all these climate changes in just a day with few stops. Better in a week or two. Just writing this gives me a longing for a road trip.
I meant this to be a quick comment. Leavenworth is worth a visit, but we have so much more!
I should add - when we want a more out of the country experience without going very far, we go to Victoria BC. I need my gin and tonic in the Empress Hotel's Bengal room every other year or so to help keep me sane <grin>.
I agree.
Rain forests to the lavender fields...to the glaciers and volcanic sites (Mt St Helens) where it still looks devastated like it just happened in much of it to the tulip fields...
From the roll on Columbia roll on...
Anon Inn this would make a great blog article if you are blogging.
I know the question was about Leavenworth. To me that is the last place I want to go in the PacNorthWet. Show me the giant cedar trees along the rocky coast. The Orcas breaching, giant sea stars,...but then again, I have been up at sunrise every morning the past week on vacation...I met a man named Walter. He was also up with his black cup of coffee and walking stick taking in the scenery and the wildlife...I am not a normal housewife of ...wherever. I live for this stuff, it is the air I breathe.

Sunshine said:
From all the things we have in common Sunny, we have that much not in common. I always laugh as I feel at times we are polar opposites. This has nothing to do with anything, other than to say that is why we get on so well, because this is so interesting to me, and I can't wait to meet you in person in December.
heart.gif

Joey Bloggs [/quote said:
heart.gif
I know... funny how that works! LOL! I Really looking forward to meeting you too!
Be ready for "Christmas"!!! We started our decorating! (My hubby was a HUGE help this year and did a ton of it it himself!).

Sunshine said:
heart.gif

heart.gif
I know... funny how that works! LOL! I Really looking forward to meeting you too!
Be ready for "Christmas"!!! We started our decorating! (My hubby was a HUGE help this year and did a ton of it it himself!).
Sunshine said:
heart.gif
I can't wait!

Back