Leaving guests alone in the building

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i rarely left the b&b without having someone standing in for me. and never overnight without someone working.
i often felt like i had no life and couldn't get away, that's not a good thing. in the middle of the day, usually between check out and check in, i would go out the door ... take a walk, go to the general store, anything!
i am pretty sure i posted here about staying in a place that did not have an onsite innkeeper and i didn't know it when i booked. i didn't see the little tent card that said 'in case of emergency, call xxx-xxxx'
in the middle of the night, the power went out. no flashlight in my room, room phone was dead. it quickly got cold (it was early winter in new england), and no one came around to check on me.
i wandered out into the hall in my pj's, followed the emergency lighting to the desk, found the number to call and used my cell phone. there didn't seem to be anyone else in the place.
i cannot tell you how alone and frightened i felt! i will never stay there again.
now i always ask when i book a room if someone is on the premises most of the time, but always at night. if the answer is no, it's not the place for me. not after having gone through that..
seashanty said:
i am pretty sure i posted here about staying in a place that did not have an onsite innkeeper and i didn't know it when i booked. i didn't see the little tent card that said 'in case of emergency, call xxx-xxxx'
in the middle of the night, the power went out. no flashlight in my room, room phone was dead. it quickly got cold (it was early winter in new england), and no one came around to check on me.
i wandered out into the hall in my pj's, followed the emergency lighting to the desk, found the number to call and used my cell phone. there didn't seem to be anyone else in the place.
i cannot tell you how alone and frightened i felt!
I can relate SS. Years ago, we booked a place in my home town. Checked in and headed to parents for the day. It was late when we arrived back, the place was in the dark with just the side porch lite on, the door we were to use. As we opened the door with the key, the alarm sounded. Then the phone inside rang. DH went to answer, it was the security co. stating the police would be their momentarily. Great!
As the police apeared he knew he didn't need back up... We were all standing outside the door, me holding our very tired son of 5-6 and DD who was clinging to her dad in fright worried we were going to be taken away. As the policeman walked up recongized him as an old family friend. He started to laugh... Not funny to me with 2 tired yet terrified kids. Two sisters ran the B&B, neither lived there. One sister was there when we arrived & paid but she failed to tell the other that there were guests in the house so the other turned on the alarm. Needless to say this B&B didn't last long!

Having our cottages separate from the main house, we haven't had any problems....so far. Still, we don't usually have anyplace to go anyway! We are usually at home. We usually only have weekend guests. So we usually can do what ever we want during the week if we have to be away long.

We only left to go several blocks away to shows at our performing arts center or to our farmers market - less than 5 mins by car. Otherwise, I shopped or ran errands between check-out/check-in when no guests were in house. My dh would stop on his way home from work at the store other times. We only went farther afield when there were no guests.
Guests had my cell phone number 24/7.
Yes, it's confining but I got freaked out when a B&B in our State had a devastating fire.
The remaining B&B here is largely unattended and this is really not a change for them and they've been in business for quite awhile. They have had their share of interesting things happen.

i rarely left the b&b without having someone standing in for me. and never overnight without someone working.
i often felt like i had no life and couldn't get away, that's not a good thing. in the middle of the day, usually between check out and check in, i would go out the door ... take a walk, go to the general store, anything!
i cannot tell you how alone and frightened i felt! i will never stay there again.
now i always ask when i book a room if someone is on the premises most of the time, but always at night. if the answer is no, it's not the place for me. not after having gone through that..
we had a similar situation ie just after 10 at night power went off so I was in a bit of a quandry ie im not waking people up in their rooms to tell them its a power cut. We have emergency lighting in all the hallways so that clicked on and I nipped round to check all the bulbs were working!
Figured I would stand in the hall so that if anyone was awake and was worried i would hear them moving about and could let them know what was going on and they could easily see me etc. One couple noticed and came out but that was it - had been reading in bed when the lights went out.

From time to time for dinner, for movies, to see friends, to avoid committing suicide, for shopping, etc. We have done day trips for shopping south-of-the-border with guests in the house. We keep the phone on, but we realize we need a life as well..
I'd have trouble leaving the country with guests in the house. Mostly because of security lines getting back home and feeling I was really far away.. And also because of how it would read in the paper: Innkeepers out of country as guests burn down inn. (Or something.)
We generally don't leave town. Or drive somewhere. If we can walk we probably would go out for dinner.
I understand needing to get away. We usually do that in shifts. That also gets us away from each other for a couple of hours. There's something to be said for that alone time as well as together time.
wink_smile.gif

I think we decided to not have a life in season. Off season, no problem. But, we're not as busy as you are.
And, we are going to leave town next week and go out with friends for dinner. They talked us into it. They do it all the time. It seems to work for them in a way I have yet to figure out.
Well, the hard part is leaving. On the way back, they have to let me back into the country, they can't refuse. We've done it once or twice on days with no arrivals, midweek. Our neighbour can step in for us in an emergency. We do the same for them. It's not something we would do if we had arrivals.
But since we tell guests after 6PM it's self check-in, they seem to understand that at 6:15 we may not be here and they call if they are running late. And we have cameras in place if they do do self-check-in so that we get emailed photos when they get in :)
Eric Arthur Blair said:
On the way back, they have to let me back into the country, they can't refuse.
Can I get you to explain that to my MIL? In French, so maybe she'll understand??? She is so afraid to cross the border because she thinks they won't let her back in again.
Altho, in her case it would be going in reverse. She thinks if she goes home to Canada, even for a funeral, she won't get back in here because she's an 'alien'. Her family would love to see her at weddings and funerals but she is adamant. She'll be stopped at the border and will never see her house again.
Sure, but is she a resident or a citizen? Neither will be refused entry as long as they have their passport. I assume she has her passport and he resident/citizenship papers, no?

Because of our unique setup, guests here are left alone in the b&b for most of their stay, including overnight. We live in a cottage right behind the inn though so we're not far away. That said I work 40 hours outside of the Inn and my dh works about 80 at our restaurant so we are often not on the property. It's not ideal but we aren't busy enough yet for me to quit my job. All guests have the Inn number which forwards to my cell.
The nice thing about our set up is that guests only have access to their own rooms. So I don't have to worry about them getting into our things or other guests things.

we had a similar situation ie just after 10 at night power went off so I was in a bit of a quandry ie im not waking people up in their rooms to tell them its a power cut. We have emergency lighting in all the hallways so that clicked on and I nipped round to check all the bulbs were working!
Figured I would stand in the hall so that if anyone was awake and was worried i would hear them moving about and could let them know what was going on and they could easily see me etc. One couple noticed and came out but that was it - had been reading in bed when the lights went out.
We have plug-in (hard-wired is required) emergency lights in each room at the exit window, in each bathroom, and in the hallway upstairs. If the power goes off, they come on and can then be pulled out and used as a flashlight. the problem I have had is guests either removing them and turning them off or just turning them off. IDIOTS!! We are now required to have hard-wired carbon monoxide detectors - there goes another outlet! (A hotel had an incorrectly connected vent pipe from their pool area and one man died (a construction worker living there) so now everyone must have detectors)

From time to time for dinner, for movies, to see friends, to avoid committing suicide, for shopping, etc. We have done day trips for shopping south-of-the-border with guests in the house. We keep the phone on, but we realize we need a life as well..
I'd have trouble leaving the country with guests in the house. Mostly because of security lines getting back home and feeling I was really far away.. And also because of how it would read in the paper: Innkeepers out of country as guests burn down inn. (Or something.)
We generally don't leave town. Or drive somewhere. If we can walk we probably would go out for dinner.
I understand needing to get away. We usually do that in shifts. That also gets us away from each other for a couple of hours. There's something to be said for that alone time as well as together time.
wink_smile.gif

I think we decided to not have a life in season. Off season, no problem. But, we're not as busy as you are.
And, we are going to leave town next week and go out with friends for dinner. They talked us into it. They do it all the time. It seems to work for them in a way I have yet to figure out.
Well, the hard part is leaving. On the way back, they have to let me back into the country, they can't refuse. We've done it once or twice on days with no arrivals, midweek. Our neighbour can step in for us in an emergency. We do the same for them. It's not something we would do if we had arrivals.
But since we tell guests after 6PM it's self check-in, they seem to understand that at 6:15 we may not be here and they call if they are running late. And we have cameras in place if they do do self-check-in so that we get emailed photos when they get in :)
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Can I get you to explain that to my MIL? In French, so maybe she'll understand??? She is so afraid to cross the border because she thinks they won't let her back in again.
Altho, in her case it would be going in reverse. She thinks if she goes home to Canada, even for a funeral, she won't get back in here because she's an 'alien'. Her family would love to see her at weddings and funerals but she is adamant. She'll be stopped at the border and will never see her house again.
Sure, but is she a resident or a citizen? Neither will be refused entry as long as they have their passport. I assume she has her passport and he resident/citizenship papers, no?
No passport from either country. All she has is a green card. Maybe she really can't travel any more between countries.

Because of our unique setup, guests here are left alone in the b&b for most of their stay, including overnight. We live in a cottage right behind the inn though so we're not far away. That said I work 40 hours outside of the Inn and my dh works about 80 at our restaurant so we are often not on the property. It's not ideal but we aren't busy enough yet for me to quit my job. All guests have the Inn number which forwards to my cell.
The nice thing about our set up is that guests only have access to their own rooms. So I don't have to worry about them getting into our things or other guests things..
A cottage right behind is one thing - my neighbour lives about 30 minutes drive away that is a completely different kettle of fish.

wink_smile.gif

Eric Arthur Blair said:
No passport from either country. All she has is a green card. Maybe she really can't travel any more between countries.
She is correct in that case. She needs her American passport to get back into the US. Or if she is simply a resident, her Canadian passport alonger with her green card. This is requires by the US government (Canadian government assumes you have your passport to get back into the US, but it is not a legal requirement to have it or present it.)
Once she has this documentation, she can travel between the two countries freely. She can be stopped for duty items, but they can't bar her from entry in either direction.

While we would never leave guests alone overnight (I think it's illegal here) we are often out and about during the afternoon and sometimes we go out to dinner. I'll leave guests a note with my cell phone number. So far (me knocking on wood as I write this) there have been no problems.

wink_smile.gif

Eric Arthur Blair said:
She is correct in that case. She needs her American passport to get back into the US. Or if she is simply a resident, her Canadian passport alonger with her green card. This is requires by the US government (Canadian government assumes you have your passport to get back into the US, but it is not a legal requirement to have it or present it.)
Once she has this documentation, she can travel between the two countries freely. She can be stopped for duty items, but they can't bar her from entry in either direction.
Well, this brought up a discussion of how she would GET a Canadian passport so I looked it up on the Customs website and she doesn't need a passport to go between Canada & the US. She would need it if she went anywhere else. So, she can go to funerals (mostly her older siblings) and not worry about coming back to NY.
Convincing her to go is something else altogether!

wink_smile.gif

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Well, this brought up a discussion of how she would GET a Canadian passport so I looked it up on the Customs website and she doesn't need a passport to go between Canada & the US. She would need it if she went anywhere else. So, she can go to funerals (mostly her older siblings) and not worry about coming back to NY.
I'm not sure you are correct. Canad
spacer.gif
a doesn't have much in requirements, but the WHTI in the US does. But this might apply "U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents: Document requirements for Lawful Permanent Residents will not change under WHTI. U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents can continue to use their permanent resident card (Form I-551) or other valid evidence of permanent residence status."
I would still check http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/eng_map.html and call the US side of the border to make sure.

wink_smile.gif

Eric Arthur Blair said:
I'm not sure you are correct. Canad
spacer.gif
a doesn't have much in requirements, but the WHTI in the US does. But this might apply "U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents: Document requirements for Lawful Permanent Residents will not change under WHTI. U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents can continue to use their permanent resident card (Form I-551) or other valid evidence of permanent residence status."
I would still check http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/eng_map.html and call the US side of the border to make sure.
If we can convince her to go we will definitely call first!

While we would never leave guests alone overnight (I think it's illegal here) we are often out and about during the afternoon and sometimes we go out to dinner. I'll leave guests a note with my cell phone number. So far (me knocking on wood as I write this) there have been no problems..
Same,
I have a wooden sign I can hang on front door: "if no answer, call ..." Inn phone is a mobile. Deals with new guest arrivals earlier than expected. We give them a door code over the phone.
We prefer to be around, but we do have other things to do and guests come and go at odd hours. Often back mid afternoon to freshen up for the evening and we would most likely be away then.

Well, the innkeepers went out for dinner with friends in another town. We were gone for 4 hours and the place is still here. Seems the guest figured out how to check in. Lights on in the room. No panicked phone calls.
It felt like playing hooky from school.

Well, the innkeepers went out for dinner with friends in another town. We were gone for 4 hours and the place is still here. Seems the guest figured out how to check in. Lights on in the room. No panicked phone calls.
It felt like playing hooky from school..
Madeleine said:
It felt like playing hooky from school.
GOOD FOR YOU!!!! All of us need to try it more often (she says wishfully). I've been stuck here because guests have ordered dinners, so I can't really complain, but you know me, I'll complain anyway! LOL

We live semi-country. When there are lightning/wind storms, I advise our guests to keep close to the flashlights, which we always provide.
I do work overnights and hubby's health is unpredictable. I cannot always rely on him to be hands on. Guests are aware of this in advance. On rare occasions, hubby does want us to be away overnight and we advise the guests of this, who are fine with it. I do go to town as needed for shopping and/or movies. We have keyless entry and if we will not be here, for any reason, guests can let themselves in.

i totally understand other work for pay obligations and the need to have a life.
but as a guest i am concerned with safety. not just about possible problems with the building, but behavior of other guests (or non guests) which you cannot predict or regulate.

Back