Leaving on a bad note.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megan

Reaction score
Housekeeper came to me and asked what to do about a room that had not checked out yet. She was going to have a short work day and wanted to get to the beach. It was 11 and the guests had some business phone calls to make earlier and were lucky to have any reception here. I told the housekeeper to give them another 20 minutes to vacate the room and found her some other tasks to do. At 11:30 I had to go and ask them the leave. One guest on phone outside, one guest in room on phone. I had to stand in the doorway while the guest talked on the phone until he finally hung up. I explained the situation about checkout being at 11 and the housekeeper needing to get her work done and the guest said, "We're out of the room." Looks to me like he is still sitting in the room. I walked away to give him a chance to pack up and I went downstairs to tell the housekeeper to bring her stuff upstairs. Guest walks out door, I thank him for coming and I hear him calling to his wife, "She threw me out of the room. Can you believe that?"
Now I'm upset. I was very gracious, he was not "thrown out" of the room. He had privacy to pack up his things. He was still occupying the room after checkout. Just a rant. We had a good conversation over breakfast about their travels and I feel like I was kicked by that last comment.

Don't worry about it...they know the rules. This isn't a hotel where they would probably have charged him extra. Maybe that's what you should have told him...sure stay as long as you want..but we are charging you $25 per hour!!!! You gave them plenty of notice and you were very polite in your approach...you have a business to run..so run it and Kick the guy to the curb!
devil_smile.gif

If we had guests who were late in checking out, we made the call...if it didn't matter because no one else was checking in...we cut them some slack. IF we had to get the rooms ready, we politely told them what was happening and that they needed to vacate the room so we could clean.
We have had some people just want to sit out on our swing and relax and that was ok..as long as they knew they couldn't come back into the house as we were cleaning. Again..it is YOUR CALL!

I think you handled it well. Are you sure that he wasn't being a little teasing by saying that? Surely they were aware that they were staying past check-out. We haven't had a problem with this...yet. A couple of folks have asked for a later check-out ahead of time and as long as no one was checking in behind them, we said that was fine. Only had one couple stay longer in their room than we thought but there were extenuating circumstances and it was no big deal for us. We were cleaning other areas. They left the room neat as a pin too.
I've had a couple of folks hang out in the common areas past 11 am after asking us and that was OK too as again they were trying to co-ordinate plans after being here for a special event.
The key is that they asked, they didn't assume it was OK to be here after the official check-out time!

I think you handled it well. Are you sure that he wasn't being a little teasing by saying that? Surely they were aware that they were staying past check-out. We haven't had a problem with this...yet. A couple of folks have asked for a later check-out ahead of time and as long as no one was checking in behind them, we said that was fine. Only had one couple stay longer in their room than we thought but there were extenuating circumstances and it was no big deal for us. We were cleaning other areas. They left the room neat as a pin too.
I've had a couple of folks hang out in the common areas past 11 am after asking us and that was OK too as again they were trying to co-ordinate plans after being here for a special event.
The key is that they asked, they didn't assume it was OK to be here after the official check-out time!.
Samster said:
The key is that they asked, they didn't assume it was OK to be here after the official check-out time!
Maybe it was teasing but he didn't know I could hear him, I had stepped away from the door and was walking back into the back of the house. The windows were all open along the side and he was way down the porch. There was cookie crumbled up in the air conditioner and all over the floor but they left a big tip. Not sure if they put the tip doen beofre or after I 'threw him out'.
wink_smile.gif

Ouch. That hurts. This is one reason TA reviews can be so harsh. You thought you were gracious. He thought he was kicked out. Of course, no one reads any policies you might have about when check-out is. We have them posted on the back of the door. Nicely done in calligraphy so not the standard hotel list, but it's right there where you would expect to find it.

Ouch. That hurts. This is one reason TA reviews can be so harsh. You thought you were gracious. He thought he was kicked out. Of course, no one reads any policies you might have about when check-out is. We have them posted on the back of the door. Nicely done in calligraphy so not the standard hotel list, but it's right there where you would expect to find it..
bizarre that you were left a generous tip ... we get very little 'tippage' here. if he was genuinely unhappy, i think he would have put the tip in his pocket. um, crumbs IN the a/c?
anyway, you were fine to do what you did.
i overstayed in a hotel chain .. had been trying to connect with someone and they called just when checkout window was over (cell phone was dead) ... housekeeping just came right in and started to do their work. i wasn't offended and i knew darn well i should have been out of there. i bet he did, too.

Ouch. That hurts. This is one reason TA reviews can be so harsh. You thought you were gracious. He thought he was kicked out. Of course, no one reads any policies you might have about when check-out is. We have them posted on the back of the door. Nicely done in calligraphy so not the standard hotel list, but it's right there where you would expect to find it..
bizarre that you were left a generous tip ... we get very little 'tippage' here. if he was genuinely unhappy, i think he would have put the tip in his pocket. um, crumbs IN the a/c?
i overstayed in a hotel chain .. had been trying to connect with someone and they called just when checkout window was over (cell phone was dead) ... housekeeping just came right in and started to do their work. i wasn't offended and i knew darn well i should have been out of there. i bet he did, too.
seashanty said:
This is what they expected the housekeeper to do- start cleaning around their things. That is worng. You were on the hotel phone not by choice, he was well into his conversation and not willing to hang up or move out of the room as I stood there. He kept waving at me to come in and get started. I was stunned by that. What if she started the cleaning and they wanted tp use the bathroom? After it is cleaned? And then maybe put his feet on the bed that was made? When rooms are to be stripped they should be empty of guests and their belongings. Didn't someone here have that problem with suitcases being left behind when the guest was gon? In this case the gust was still there! Or apologize to me. He could have gotten up and walked out while on the cellphone, he just sat there turning this way and that in the chair wacving at me to come in. I didn't see the tip when I was trying to talk to him but I saw it later when I went to check to see how things were going. Maybe it was an apology tip?

seashanty said:
This is what they expected the housekeeper to do- start cleaning around their things. That is worng. You were on the hotel phone not by choice, he was well into his conversation and not willing to hang up or move out of the room as I stood there. He kept waving at me to come in and get started. I was stunned by that. What if she started the cleaning and they wanted tp use the bathroom? After it is cleaned? And then maybe put his feet on the bed that was made? When rooms are to be stripped they should be empty of guests and their belongings. Didn't someone here have that problem with suitcases being left behind when the guest was gon? In this case the gust was still there! Or apologize to me. He could have gotten up and walked out while on the cellphone, he just sat there turning this way and that in the chair wacving at me to come in. I didn't see the tip when I was trying to talk to him but I saw it later when I went to check to see how things were going. Maybe it was an apology tip?
As soon as he waved me in, I would have done just that, without a word. Start stripping like a whirling dervish. You didn't leave anything lying around that might get caught up in this, did you? Maybe you should hurry along. Hope the sound of the vaccuum doesn't drown out your phone call.
I would not actually clean or put together anything until the guest was out, but I would be getting stuff done.

seashanty said:
As soon as he waved me in, I would have done just that, without a word. Start stripping like a whirling dervish. You didn't leave anything lying around that might get caught up in this, did you? Maybe you should hurry along. Hope the sound of the vaccuum doesn't drown out your phone call.
I would not actually clean or put together anything until the guest was out, but I would be getting stuff done.
Now that is something I couldn't do. Even when it's a fluff and guests walk in on me, I leave. I think I look at it as the whole 'servant' thing. Where you pay no mind to the servant because they're part of the furniture. And I realize that is an issue I have that maybe others do not. I guess that's how I would have looked at it if a guest waved at me to come in and clean the room they had not vacated. I've had guests do that on a fluff. They're watching TV and just wave at me to 'go about your business'. Nope. I find that awkward for me.
Nope. Guests leave first and then I would clean.
In this case it doesn't even sound like the guest excused himself from his phone call. It sounds like he just sat there waving. The way you would to the hired help, if you were that kind of person. Even tho it sounds like ssb-b is brand new at this, s/he shouldn't be treated in that cavalier manner.
Could be me reading waaaay more into this than there is, but we get guests like that here. I haven't had anyone snap their fingers at me in awhile, but it has happened and that's the feeling I get reading this.

seashanty said:
Now that is something I couldn't do. Even when it's a fluff and guests walk in on me, I leave. I think I look at it as the whole 'servant' thing. Where you pay no mind to the servant because they're part of the furniture. And I realize that is an issue I have that maybe others do not. I guess that's how I would have looked at it if a guest waved at me to come in and clean the room they had not vacated. I've had guests do that on a fluff. They're watching TV and just wave at me to 'go about your business'. Nope. I find that awkward for me.
In this case it doesn't even sound like the guest excused himself from his phone call. It sounds like he just sat there waving. The way you would to the hired help, if you were that kind of person. Even tho it sounds like ssb-b is brand new at this, s/he shouldn't be treated in that cavalier manner.
Could be me reading waaaay more into this than there is, but we get guests like that here. I haven't had anyone snap their fingers at me in awhile, but it has happened and that's the feeling I get reading this.
I completely understand your feelings. Must be my hotel training coming through. The schedule was too important to wait for someone who wasn't holding up his end of the deal by getting out on time. We found that getting started tended to get them moving.

seashanty said:
You've had guests snap at you??? I would not handle that well at all.
angry_smile.gif

He may have just been being sarcastic thinking he was funny. Some people are weird that way. It could be that his humorous delivery was less than skillful and wasn't meant to be mean-spirited. All I'm saying is don't take everything at face value. If he left you a large tip, it's obvious they enjoyed their stay.
Then again, maybe he was just a jerk. Your feelings were bruised because you're sensitive to the needs of others and are saddened when others don't see that you're looking out for them. You're already higher on the food chain than that guy anyway.

seashanty said:
angry_smile.gif

swirt said:
angry_smile.gif
Finger snapping, coffee cup waving. Yeah, I've seen too much of the ugly side. I will say it hasn't happened in 2-3 years so maybe I look a little more 'in charge' than I used to.

seashanty said:
angry_smile.gif

swirt said:
angry_smile.gif
Finger snapping, coffee cup waving. Yeah, I've seen too much of the ugly side. I will say it hasn't happened in 2-3 years so maybe I look a little more 'in charge' than I used to.
Bree said:
swirt said:
angry_smile.gif
Coffee cup waving. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr I would not take lightly to that. not one bit.
Had a lady show up at the door a minute ago with a gift bag in hand. "Hi I am here for the baby shower."
me "No baby shower here."
She argues "Yes there is, they gave me directions and everything waving the invite in my face."
me "better double check your directions"
she "it says right here 215 elm st"
me -- I point to the numbers above the door which she is facing directly that says 195.
she "oh, i guess it is somewhere else."
me "i guess so." Unwilling to help this interrupter of my day find that somewhere else.
(End note -- the place next door is pathetic, I refuse, absolutely refuse to be their answering service, phone calls, people landing on my porch all the time. GET A CLUE MORONS!)

seashanty said:
angry_smile.gif

swirt said:
angry_smile.gif
Bree said:
swirt said:
angry_smile.gif
Coffee cup waving. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr I would not take lightly to that. not one bit.
Had a lady show up at the door a minute ago with a gift bag in hand. "Hi I am here for the baby shower."
She argues "Yes there is, they gave me directions and everything waving the invite in my face."
me -- I point to the numbers above the door which she is facing directly that says 195.
me "i guess so." Unwilling to help this interrupter of my day find that somewhere else.
(End note -- the place next door is pathetic, I refuse, absolutely refuse to be their answering service, phone calls, people landing on my porch all the time. GET A CLUE MORONS!)
Here we go again, another person banging on the door "Do you know where the baby shower is?"
GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

seashanty said:
angry_smile.gif

swirt said:
angry_smile.gif
Bree said:
swirt said:
angry_smile.gif
Here we go again, another person banging on the door "Do you know where the baby shower is?"
GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
Look them square in the face, and say "I'm terribly sorry for your inconvenience, but they've decided they wanted to have a Christmas baby, so the birth and shower have been postponed and moved to the Caribbean. I'm so upset with them for cancelling, I could wrestle a bear!"
Then close the door.

seashanty said:
angry_smile.gif

swirt said:
angry_smile.gif
Bree said:
swirt said:
angry_smile.gif
GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
Can't people read addresses???/ GUESS NOT!! And it MUST BE AS RAINY THERE AS IT IS HERE. Why don't you call them up and tell them to put out some ballons or something so people know where this place is???? I am grrrrrring with you!!!

seashanty said:
angry_smile.gif

swirt said:
angry_smile.gif
Finger snapping? You can snap your @$$ right out tha' door! And don't let it hit you on the way out! That would NOT be tolerated!

seashanty said:
angry_smile.gif

swirt said:
angry_smile.gif
Finger snapping is WAAAAAYY over the line. Even I won't tolerate that, and I let people get away with a lot.
Response, spoken slowly and calmly: "Did you -- honestly -- just snap your fingers at me? (PAUSE). I'll let you think about that for a few minutes."

Back