LED lights as replacement for Spotlights

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swirt

Forum founder. Former Owner.
Reaction score
This is interesting. LED based light bulbs that replace regular bulbs and outlast and out-green compact fluorescent bulbs. Here is one that replaces a 75 watt spotlight bulb and only uses 15watts. Sure it is $110 a bulb, but it should have a huge lifespan and save ~$35 per year (assuming it is on 8hrs a day every day) so it would pay for itself in 3 years and it is guaranteed to last that long.
http://www.ledtronics.com/ds/par30/default.asp
If you have spotlights that you leave on all night this could be a money saver. If you have a spotlight you only use once in a while, it would not be a good investment..
Here's similar style for low level indoor lighting (wall sconces and things like that)
http://www.ledtronics.com/ds/sconce-bulbs/default.asp
They are more green than CF because they are more efficient, and they contain no mercury or gases. No glass, so they require no glass melting/forming heat in production.

I have several LED lights.
Last christmas I bought 3 strings of white LED lights. They are hooked end to end for 60 feet and are hung under the overhang of the porch. (porch is 61 feet long, so light the entire length) They are on a timer that comes on at dusk and off about 11pm.
I bought 4 night lights that are LED and if electricity goes off they turn into little flashlights you can unplug and use. As a night light, they have 1 little light and not real bright. But as a flashlight they seem to have more light, don't know if there is a different bulb or a second bulb that is more focused. Have only had them about 1 month so haven't given them a good trial yet.
But I really like the idea they can save energy and serve a good purpose.

Last christmas I bought 3 strings of white LED lights. They are hooked end to end for 60 feet and are hung under the overhang of the porch. (porch is 61 feet long, so light the entire length) They are on a timer that comes on at dusk and off about 11pm.
I bought 4 night lights that are LED and if electricity goes off they turn into little flashlights you can unplug and use. As a night light, they have 1 little light and not real bright. But as a flashlight they seem to have more light, don't know if there is a different bulb or a second bulb that is more focused. Have only had them about 1 month so haven't given them a good trial yet.
But I really like the idea they can save energy and serve a good purpose..
I have the same led nightlight / flashlight combo here in my office (basement office, no windows so if the power goes out it gets dark in a hurry...and I'm a packrat so there is lots of stuff to bump into). It works well and have found it to be dependable (saved me many a bruised shin). My only complaint with it is that it blocks the second outlet when you plug it in. In fact that's the only thing that keeps me from using it in our guestrooms (outlet space in the guestroom bathrooms is at a premium)
I was looking at these E-Lights
ir
which are similar, but they solve the outlet problem. But I'm not sure about the quality before leaping in and buying the 6-pack

I have the same led nightlight / flashlight combo here in my office (basement office, no windows so if the power goes out it gets dark in a hurry...and I'm a packrat so there is lots of stuff to bump into). It works well and have found it to be dependable (saved me many a bruised shin). My only complaint with it is that it blocks the second outlet when you plug it in. In fact that's the only thing that keeps me from using it in our guestrooms (outlet space in the guestroom bathrooms is at a premium)
ir
which are similar, but they solve the outlet problem. But I'm not sure about the quality before leaping in and buying the 6-pack
The ones I bought are square and don't block the 2nd outlet.

ir
Cool I'll have to look for those. Is there a brand name on them?

ir
Cool I'll have to look for those. Is there a brand name on them?
Don't have one here to look at. I bought them at Menard's home center in the lighting area. Only ones they had that were LED and were about $5 each.

I forgot to mention in case you are considering the LED spotlight option.. They are guaranteed to last 3 years, but their life cycle is rated at 50,000 hours (which at 8 hours per day is like 17 years!)

I want these. We have lights on the house and the new sign.
But I would have to spend something like $550... guess I'll wait til they sell them at Home Despot.
=) Kk.

Back