legal cannabis

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom

Reaction score
Sharing experience. Oregon made marijuana sales to recreational users legal starting October 1, 2015; we are private property 100 yards from the public road so it is legal and discreet. We don't personally identify with the culture, but if it is legal and folk are respectful, we figured "OK". When a prospective guest inquires about cannabis use at the inn, we say they are welcome, just smoke and vape outside.
So far, the result has been totally positive. We have had several guests over the winter select the inn specifically for its welcome and privacy -- most were established professionals from non-legal states, and some from the PNW used to being out in the open.
Our recent wedding event on site brought a big keg of micro brew ... and cannabis. We talked through responsibility, etc. Mostly 20's and 30's and though the party went late, they cut off the amplified music earlier than my 10:00 pm, they were mellow, brotherly, and neat. I found less than a handful of trash the next morning, everybody showed up within 10 minutes of the agreed on breakfast time, and they checked out on time. No comparison to a usual wedding crowd with hard liquor and an open bar.

Prostitution is legal in certain places too, doesn't mean I want it happening here, knowingly. In other news, we had a stoner guest who spent all of her time camped out, literally, laying on the porch decking while her son attended a band camp in the area. Wouldn't hurt a fly, had no ambition to do so.
You don't have to allow hard liquor either if you don't prefer it. Says the innkeeper who quotes another innmate with "Moonshine festivals guests are probably not the same guests as wine festival guests"
omg_smile.gif

Tom said:
We talked through responsibility, etc. Mostly 20's and 30's and though the party went late, they cut off the amplified music earlier than my 10:00 pm, they were mellow, brotherly, and neat.
That is why they invented the silent discos... (Google it if you don't know what I mean)

Prostitution is legal in certain places too, doesn't mean I want it happening here, knowingly. In other news, we had a stoner guest who spent all of her time camped out, literally, laying on the porch decking while her son attended a band camp in the area. Wouldn't hurt a fly, had no ambition to do so.
You don't have to allow hard liquor either if you don't prefer it. Says the innkeeper who quotes another innmate with "Moonshine festivals guests are probably not the same guests as wine festival guests"
omg_smile.gif
JBloggs said:
You don't have to allow hard liquor either if you don't prefer it.
Just because you don't allow it, doesn't mean they don't bring it. Rather have someone responsible. If they want a bar, they have to have a bartender with a license and insurance.
When pot was illegal, they smoked it anyway, sometimes in the room, so as not to be seen. I'd rather have them in the open, respecting my safety rules.
Now, you mention prostitution. You are saying Ok as long as you don't know about it?

I'm also very glad to hear that it is working out! I wish Maryland would see the light. Would much prefer people smoking weed than folks drinking too much. We have had a few interesting episodes with drunks including one where the newly married bride called 911 because her new husband was beating her up.

Before now (canabis use for personal is ok in the UK ie if you are caught with small amounts dealing is not) we have found packets of various items and even sort of sprinkled about - and I am not keen but at least if they are outside Im not left clearing up that rubbish.
HOwever my Godbrother is a long term and frequent (ie up to 3 times a day) user and has frankly damaged his mind to the point where there is likely no recovery and swings between hopeless giggles and manic withdrawal, uncontrollable rages and fits of paranoia. He frankly struggles to function without and I would not like to think I was supporting other people going the same way but on the other side they are adults and its up to them.

omg_smile.gif
JBloggs said:
Just because you don't allow it, doesn't mean they don't bring it. Rather have someone responsible. If they want a bar, they have to have a bartender with a license and insurance.
When pot was illegal, they smoked it anyway, sometimes in the room, so as not to be seen. I'd rather have them in the open, respecting my safety rules.
Now, you mention prostitution. You are saying Ok as long as you don't know about it?
Tom said:
JBloggs said:
I noticed our music venue says tobacco free in all forms, vapor and so on, and all types. Tobacco is legal here, actually grown here.
You didn't read what I wrote and how it was intended. I said JUST BECAUSE IT IS LEGAL doesn't mean you allow it. DOGS ARE LEGAL in our state, we don't allow dogs here. Is that a better analogy? Dogs are great, but not here.

omg_smile.gif
JBloggs said:
Tom said:
JBloggs said:
I noticed our music venue says tobacco free in all forms, vapor and so on, and all types. Tobacco is legal here, actually grown here.
You didn't read what I wrote and how it was intended. I said JUST BECAUSE IT IS LEGAL doesn't mean you allow it. DOGS ARE LEGAL in our state, we don't allow dogs here. Is that a better analogy? Dogs are great, but not here.
Junie does not share her people.

Glad to hear it has been a positive experience. We are getting lots of inquiries about it as our recreational shops will open this September.
We are considering a small "potting shed" in our garden area for guests.

Glad it's working for you. All of us have to have policies that make us feel comfortable. I just went completely non-smoking on our property (even says you'll be asked to leave and forfeit money) because I'm an asthmatic and HATE SMOKING, always have and always will. My kids will even see someone smoking and comment on how gross it is. I'm working hard to keep my kids off drugs and they aren't going to see that I allow my guests to use it here -- Counter-productive to keeping kids off drugs why adults using it everywhere in front of them. But again that's my view and they won't be smoking it here at our place as they know they're gonna forfeit their stay. They sign this at checkin. New bookings have even mentioned that they hate to be around smokers and glad no one is outside smoking that they have to walk through. I'm sure this will be an issue as more and more people think it's AOK to do drugs in the coming years but by then I'll retire and someone else can decide if they want to deal with it.

Glad to hear it has been a positive experience. We are getting lots of inquiries about it as our recreational shops will open this September.
We are considering a small "potting shed" in our garden area for guests..
focsle said:
We are considering a small "potting shed" in our garden area for guests.
Tee hee. That's kind of cute.

I recall an innkeeper's post prior to legalization in one state. They were very concerned how it would affect their business.
Glad this is having a positive affect for you.
As with everything we each have our own policies and what works best for each of us in our businesses.

omg_smile.gif
JBloggs said:
Tom said:
JBloggs said:
JBloggs said:
You didn't read what I wrote and how it was intended.
I got it; just punching a few buttons for exercise ...
wink_smile.gif

Bringing this thread back to life only because my state has just passed a bill legalizing the retail sale of canibis starting spring of 2022. (We already allow possession of small amounts). So we're right where Tom was back four years ago.

Will be interesting to see what happens. In Vermont, towns have to vote to opt-in (mine, being a ski town, no doubt will). My expectation is that we'll treat it the same as smoking: Not inside or in rooms, but only in designated areas. Big issue will be whether guests can toke in the hot tub. Right now we don't allow smoking there, but I know many will want to. We'll see. Then there's the whole "not around kids" issue, or the "not where secondhand smoke can be a factor" issue.

Got a whole 18 months to worry about it.

220px-Reefer_Madness_(1936).jpg

Seems to me the issues are the same or similar. Second hand smoke, smelly rooms, risk of fire from careless disposal, offending the snowflake types.
No smoking means no smoking. Tobacco or pot or cloves....take it to the designated smoking area or off the property.

I treat it the same way as smoking. Has been legal in Colorado for a long time.

No smoking is no smoking. Around here it’s also no vaping. ‘Not around the kids’ falls into the same category as drinking or nudity. If you’re in the designated smoking, drinking, or nudity zone parents need to be in charge of the children, not the other adults.

It's been legal in my state for about 4 years. We have had no problems. Even if the guest does smoke it in the room, you don't have to do the same awful cleaning procedures that you would do with cigarette smoke. The smell dissipates and doesn't linger. Of course our rooms are non-smoking, but no need to panic if they do smoke pot.

Back