Lemon Curd!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
fc026kl053-00.jpg
I made fresh lemon curd today and it was fantastic and easy. So I figured that I would share it.
http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/lemon_curd.aspx
My comments on the recipe, if you are using large lemons, it's the juice of two large lemons and the zest of only one lemon. Leave the lemons out on the counter overnight, you get more juice. And room temperature butter is essentially, since you need to cream the butter and sugar for this recipe. And of course, you need an instant read themometer in the pot for best results. The minute the curd gets to 170F (75 C) you remove the pot from the stove. And it does thicken more as it cools.

And now a problem... how long can store this? Can I freeze this? Should I can this? HELP!

I think you're good for a couple of weeks in the fridge. That stuff is so good, it wouldn't last 2 weeks around here!

Is lemon curd the same as lemon pudding?.
sandynn said:
Is lemon curd the same as lemon pudding?
No, pudding usually has cornstarch and milk in it.
What makes this come together is the eggs and the temperature. It's usually hard to make because the egg whites sometimes clump, this recipe reverses some of that and doens't need a double boiler. You use it in things like lemon meringue pie or as a sort of jam for scones.
These are the ingredients...
3 oz. (6 Tbs.) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
2/3 cup fresh lemon juice (two big lemons)
1 tsp. grated lemon zest (about one lemon)
I would imagine that the sugar would keep out the bacteria, but I just don't know how long. I ordered a vaccuum sealer top for mason jars for future use. I paid as much for shipping as for the cover (since I can't find it locally... I spent the day looking.) But this way I can put it into masor jars in the future.
In fact, someone on the net had an interesting article about vacuum sealing cleaned and dry lettuce in vacuum sealed mason jars as a way to insure fresh lettuce for a week.

I think you're good for a couple of weeks in the fridge. That stuff is so good, it wouldn't last 2 weeks around here!.
Breakfast Diva said:
I think you're good for a couple of weeks in the fridge. That stuff is so good, it wouldn't last 2 weeks around here!
Then try the recipe. I was surprised how easy it was. I made lemon ricotta pancakes to go with it today. Actually, that was a mistake... I think it would go better with raspberry pancakes :)

Back