Lemon mousse

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
I have a recipe for lemon mousse I'd like to try. BUT, the eggs are uncooked in the recipe. Any good recipes out there I don't have to worry about or am I worrying for no reason?

If you are using fresh lemon and a fair amount of juice from the lemons then the yolks will be ok. As the acid from the lemon cooks the egg. This happen with some fish also.The acid from citrus will cook fish.

If you're worried, use pasteurized eggs.
Uncooked (unpasteurized) eggs are usually fine but not recommend for pregnant women or people with compromized immune systems.

Are you pouring a syrup into them? Heating them at all? Acid, salt or sugar?

Are you pouring a syrup into them? Heating them at all? Acid, salt or sugar?.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Only in as far as they will be mixed with warm gelatin and the lemon juice. There is sugar, but not that much.
Madeleine said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Only in as far as they will be mixed with warm gelatin and the lemon juice. There is sugar, but not that much.
The gelatin needs to be at what temperature? when adding to the eggs? How old is the egg and has it been kept in the refrigerator. Because salmonella, if it occurs is in the egg white, not the yolk. It only can get to the yolk on mishandled eggs (and of course the likelyhood of ever getting one with salmonella is less than 1 egg in your entire lifetime.)
Gelatin is 30C to melt and 20C to set, but you usually need to heat it to 47C at least.
Let me take a guess, they are adding acid (lemon juice or vinegar) to the eggs before any heating it, right. That's to keep the yolk from cooking so it can be pasturized without cooking.

Here is a lemon mousse that does not have eggs in it .
1/3 c sugar
2 tbsp.cornstarch
1 1/2 c milk
3 tbsp .lemon juice 1 tsp. lemon zest
1/2 tsp.vanilla
1 c whipped cream.
Combine sugar corn starch in pan and then add milk slowly. cook till it comes to a boil. Then turned down heat and simmer for3 min. stirring all the time. Then remove from heat. cool it down till it is room temp.
Then pour sauce in to a bowl . Stir in vanilla ,lemon juice. lemon zest . Fold in whipped cream. You may want to add more colour then add in yellow food colouring.

Back