Length of stay requirements

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our normal zoning is labeled as short term accommodations, limiting it to 30 days at a time period, which means they would need to officially check out and re-check in if need be. This becomes a benefit to the B&B as well since it keeps the guest a short term guest, not subject to long term eviction regulations.
I have hosted long term guests for special circumstances and for the most part seemed to work out well. I can see how long term guests could become too friendly over a period of time and feel they are entitiled to more than the typical guest.
My latest 2 business guests stayed here for 6 months but they did check out each 10 days to go home for 3-4 days then return. I was able to store their personal items and rent the rooms while they were away allowing them not to have to haul all their luggage back and forth. They were ideal guests, 2nd time around for one of them. Under these type of circumstances I think that I would not make a long term commitment in advance in order to be able to split ties in a cordial mannor if you feel you need to..
I am occasionally asked about a long-term accommodation with arrangements for leaving over the weekend and returning for work or classes Sunday night. Most of the time this hasn't gone beyond the initial inquiry because the rate I offered (50% of published rate) was higher than they wanted to pay. This sort of ties in with the other thread about half price rates. How low (percentage-wise is OK instead of dollar amount) are you willing to go for these folks?
There are different types of business traveler...those that are on company expense accounts and those that get paid and their expenses come out of their pay. For the latter, they are trying to bring home as much of the bacon as they can and are only looking for a cheap, cheap place to lay their heads...those are not the type of guest you are looking for!
Some B&B's are too high for any business traveler and if your B&B is on the high end, a business traveler is not your market as most companies would frown on high end rates on expense accounts. If you fall in line with the average hotels in town or would discount to fall in line with them, then that is good enough. If the business traveler does not bite, they were looking for a motel # price range so let them go there - they are not your market either!
Most importantly you must feel comfortable with the guest and they with you in order to make it work. And again, do not commit to long term as this makes it an easier way out if things get hairy. Oh, I would never go down 50% (well never say never) but I would need to be very, very needy in order to do that... my weekly discount is 15%, longer is no more than 20% - but that is ME.

Our normal zoning is labeled as short term accommodations, limiting it to 30 days at a time period, which means they would need to officially check out and re-check in if need be. This becomes a benefit to the B&B as well since it keeps the guest a short term guest, not subject to long term eviction regulations.
I have hosted long term guests for special circumstances and for the most part seemed to work out well. I can see how long term guests could become too friendly over a period of time and feel they are entitiled to more than the typical guest.
My latest 2 business guests stayed here for 6 months but they did check out each 10 days to go home for 3-4 days then return. I was able to store their personal items and rent the rooms while they were away allowing them not to have to haul all their luggage back and forth. They were ideal guests, 2nd time around for one of them. Under these type of circumstances I think that I would not make a long term commitment in advance in order to be able to split ties in a cordial mannor if you feel you need to..
I am occasionally asked about a long-term accommodation with arrangements for leaving over the weekend and returning for work or classes Sunday night. Most of the time this hasn't gone beyond the initial inquiry because the rate I offered (50% of published rate) was higher than they wanted to pay. This sort of ties in with the other thread about half price rates. How low (percentage-wise is OK instead of dollar amount) are you willing to go for these folks?
There are different types of business traveler...those that are on company expense accounts and those that get paid and their expenses come out of their pay. For the latter, they are trying to bring home as much of the bacon as they can and are only looking for a cheap, cheap place to lay their heads...those are not the type of guest you are looking for!
Some B&B's are too high for any business traveler and if your B&B is on the high end, a business traveler is not your market as most companies would frown on high end rates on expense accounts. If you fall in line with the average hotels in town or would discount to fall in line with them, then that is good enough. If the business traveler does not bite, they were looking for a motel # price range so let them go there - they are not your market either!
Most importantly you must feel comfortable with the guest and they with you in order to make it work. And again, do not commit to long term as this makes it an easier way out if things get hairy. Oh, I would never go down 50% (well never say never) but I would need to be very, very needy in order to do that... my weekly discount is 15%, longer is no more than 20% - but that is ME.
I've been told that $79 is what some companies will pay for lodging in my area. I do have a handful of biz guests who are regulars but they are working for companies with a different mindset. One that is more, 'My employee needs to be rested, fed and in tip top form in the morning,' than, 'My employee has to have a bed and a shower, but if you can just get them a bed, that's fine with me.'

Being that she was quite attractive, she was also looking for safe. Once I saw her, there was no way I would have thrown her to that motel full of typical "construction workers" (my son is a pipeline welder so I know about the "just a bed & shower" necessity). When I get asked rates by business for "long term" I ask outright - are you paying or is the company paying? The company will get the corporate rate, the I am paying will get the funeral rate a bit less.

Back