Lent!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eleanor Brown

Reaction score
Just given up chocolate for Lent and it's going to HURT. Do people give things up for Lent in the US as well or is it just a UK/Ireland thing?

Some do. But I never did. I just try to be nicer
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

Without getting into a whole religious thing, a lot of Catholics over here do. But not they way they used to when I was a kid. One grandson gave up meat one year. He was 6-7 or so and very taken with the whole idea of giving up something. Personally, I never made it past the first weekend.
Good luck with that chocolate thing!

I try to...but my resistance is low:-( So I just try and pray a bit more :)

Both my daughters, having been raised Catholic, are going to try to give up sweets this year. Neither of them is a practiciing Catholic at this time, but that part of the religion they held on to! They got their Catholic religion from their father and their sweet tooth from me! There is no way I could give up sweets and/or chocolate for that long - sex....perhaps! Don't tell my husband!
My favorite joke - Which would you rather have - sex or cake? What kind of cake?

Both my daughters, having been raised Catholic, are going to try to give up sweets this year. Neither of them is a practiciing Catholic at this time, but that part of the religion they held on to! They got their Catholic religion from their father and their sweet tooth from me! There is no way I could give up sweets and/or chocolate for that long - sex....perhaps! Don't tell my husband!
My favorite joke - Which would you rather have - sex or cake? What kind of cake?.
haha that made me snigger!

Last year I gave up sugar... took me a whole week to find the sugar free chocolate, but it got me through.
This year I'm not officially giving up anything... the fairly strict diet I'm on is torture enough.
ETA: No, I'm not Catholic...
=)
Kk.

It took about a week and a half to find preachers for the 6 Wednesday Lenten Services. The easy part this year was getting the preacher for the Bible study!
We actually had people turn out for the Lenten Service today - it is STILL SNOWING!!! At the Baptist Church this year. Had some very good soups afterward. Since I am Prez of the Council of Churches - sponsor org for this, I HAVE to go to all. And I do not belong to ANY church in this town. It was a nice service though.
We do a noon service with a minister from one of the area churches each week and the ladies of that church supply the soups for the luncj at 12:30. Then there is a Community Service on Good Friday (same format on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving) at one of the churches in town with one minister doing the sermon and the minister of the host church doing the Liturgy. We had a retired minister today so all the ministers with churches could concentrate on Ash Wednesday. Next week - Father Karl. Now that one is always a popper!

I come from an enormous Catholic family and each year we would give something up...it usually ended up being sweets or soda. As my birthday is in early March, I always got a huge turnout at my party because everyone used it as an "exemption" for just that day...worked out well for me with lots of presents and visitors!

I'm Lutheran and I hate to say this I forgot it was Lent--and it really hurts me. Anyway, that said I was raised Catholic and we NEVER ate red meat on Fridays, I havent given anything up but hey---been SMOKE FREE for 10 months now....will be one year 1st of April...am glad I did it. Thinking about giving up something, don't know what yet...cussing?!:) joke...

Back