Let's go Fishing....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
Had a call last night asking rates. Explained my rate and the rooms that went with those rates plus the breakfast. Then she asked if I had AAA discount - no, I am not affiliated with them. How far are you from Erie, PA? They are traveling and do not have access to a computer. I do a Google and tell her. She also asked about availability for Saturday. They are on their way back to Canada and she questioned justifying paying my rate when they are at a resort tonight and that is the rate they are paying. She asked for directions - just in case they decide to come here. She also asked about dining. So I spend 15 minutes telling her what the exact change toll is, what is the condition of the roads, how to get here when I know they are not going to stay because they are about 3 hours from me now and I am about 3 hours from Erie. People can be sooooo nice - Go Fish!

Geez, I hate this. If it's too much money for you then DON'T PAY IT!!!!! Why do they have to try to get you to "justify" it or discount it...if you don't like it just move on.

Geez, I hate this. If it's too much money for you then DON'T PAY IT!!!!! Why do they have to try to get you to "justify" it or discount it...if you don't like it just move on..
I go back and forth on this one...mad that they think I should 'explain' my pricing and then trying to tell them that a place 3 hours from here is not here. Heck my worst problems are people who just drove here thru the beach communities with the $69 signs out front. No, I'm not charging $69 no matter how many of those places you saw along the way. This particular town holds its rates better than the beach-y places.
OTOH, they can go 45 minutes away and pay 3x what I'm charging, so why not call there instead?
It's kind of unfortunate that in the AAA book, my place is listed right next to a cheap motel. Guests keep calling wanting the $79 room and when I tell them I don't have anything like that they yell that it's in the AAA book and I have to give it to them for that price. Because I know what they're seeing I tell them they are welcome to stay for $79 at the motel, but if they would like the full breakfast and B&B experience it's the price I quoted. Every last one has opted for the cheap motel. But a few have asked more questions and said it really sounded a lot nicer. So, they've got the idea in their heads now.
I think from now on if I know someone is not going to book, I'm not going to be their free travel agent and I'll start saying, 'If you would like to book now, I'd be happy to do that for you otherwise, I have to go make some blueberry muffins for the morning.'

wink_smile.gif

exactly!
sometimes i've gone along acting as the local visitors center but it's annoying when they don't book! ... i've also had guests complain that they called a b&b or an inn and the person on the phone wouldn't spend much time talking to them. sometimes you have time, sometimes you don't.
i love the muffins baking line.

Geez, I hate this. If it's too much money for you then DON'T PAY IT!!!!! Why do they have to try to get you to "justify" it or discount it...if you don't like it just move on..
I always just quoted them my rates and if they didn't like it, they could move on. I was not budging and I didn't want someone who tried to engage me in that type of conversation. It never turns out well...at least for me. I learned that early on.

wink_smile.gif

exactly!
sometimes i've gone along acting as the local visitors center but it's annoying when they don't book! ... i've also had guests complain that they called a b&b or an inn and the person on the phone wouldn't spend much time talking to them. sometimes you have time, sometimes you don't.
i love the muffins baking line..
Yes, that is the problem. Whichever way we go, we are the losers. I also doubt the resort they were staying at was going to GIVE them breakfast - whatever the rate. They found me in the B &B Directory at the Welcome Center - there is a locator map in the center but they had no idea of time/distance from that I am sure.
Usually I do not care, but it got DH to thinking I should have discounted because we took such a hit in January and now Feb is about half over .... as if EVERY Jan/Feb was not like this! I am not a cart on Maxwell Street that haggles. I am the Neiman-Marcus of Shinnston! The best does not need to haggle!

wink_smile.gif

exactly!
i love the muffins baking line..
Yes, that is the problem. Whichever way we go, we are the losers. I also doubt the resort they were staying at was going to GIVE them breakfast - whatever the rate. They found me in the B &B Directory at the Welcome Center - there is a locator map in the center but they had no idea of time/distance from that I am sure.
Usually I do not care, but it got DH to thinking I should have discounted because we took such a hit in January and now Feb is about half over .... as if EVERY Jan/Feb was not like this! I am not a cart on Maxwell Street that haggles. I am the Neiman-Marcus of Shinnston! The best does not need to haggle!
gillumhouse said:
I am the Neiman-Marcus of Shinnston! The best does not need to haggle!
AMEN TO THAT!!!!!!!!!!!

Same person has called 3 times. Wants a room tonight. Will not give cc info, wants to pay cash. Will be here by 9. Will be here in 20 minutes. Wants a late check out. I'm so done with this nonsense. Sign has gone out, we are 'full,' I'm going to bed. If they show up, 'sorry, we waited 20 minutes and booked the room to the person standing on the doorstep.'

Same person has called 3 times. Wants a room tonight. Will not give cc info, wants to pay cash. Will be here by 9. Will be here in 20 minutes. Wants a late check out. I'm so done with this nonsense. Sign has gone out, we are 'full,' I'm going to bed. If they show up, 'sorry, we waited 20 minutes and booked the room to the person standing on the doorstep.'.
Good for you! No cc info, no room. If you waited up, they probably wouldn't show up anyway.

I go back and forth on this one...mad that they think I should 'explain' my pricing and then trying to tell them that a place 3 hours from here is not here. Heck my worst problems are people who just drove here thru the beach communities with the $69 signs out front. No, I'm not charging $69 no matter how many of those places you saw along the way. This particular town holds its rates better than the beach-y places.
OTOH, they can go 45 minutes away and pay 3x what I'm charging, so why not call there instead?
It's kind of unfortunate that in the AAA book, my place is listed right next to a cheap motel. Guests keep calling wanting the $79 room and when I tell them I don't have anything like that they yell that it's in the AAA book and I have to give it to them for that price. Because I know what they're seeing I tell them they are welcome to stay for $79 at the motel, but if they would like the full breakfast and B&B experience it's the price I quoted. Every last one has opted for the cheap motel. But a few have asked more questions and said it really sounded a lot nicer. So, they've got the idea in their heads now.
I think from now on if I know someone is not going to book, I'm not going to be their free travel agent and I'll start saying, 'If you would like to book now, I'd be happy to do that for you otherwise, I have to go make some blueberry muffins for the morning.'
Guests here for 2 nights asked before they left if I had any idea what the $43/night motel near our large military installation was like. I said, "No, not really but I can guess!"
They were pulling my leg because they LOVED IT here!
It's more of an "hourly" kind of a place and kinda old & sleazy. ugh.

Same person has called 3 times. Wants a room tonight. Will not give cc info, wants to pay cash. Will be here by 9. Will be here in 20 minutes. Wants a late check out. I'm so done with this nonsense. Sign has gone out, we are 'full,' I'm going to bed. If they show up, 'sorry, we waited 20 minutes and booked the room to the person standing on the doorstep.'.
No credit card...no room even if they said they were paying cash. I learned that early on when I held a room and they never showed. We have lives too!

Back