Let's Go to a Bed and ......O.K. Then Just The Bed

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proud Texan

Reaction score
How weird is this?
This is the second week in a row that we've had guests staying for an extended period (3 days or more) and skip breakfast. Mind you, I'm not complaining; it's less work and fortunately foodstuffs freeze. I'm just bewildered by the fact that people will drive great distances to stay at a Bed and Breakfast and then only avail themselves of the Bed. DW is a really good cook and they're missing out on 50% of the experience.
Why not just stay at a motel?

Because they're not motel people.
We had that last week. No breakfast but they didn't tell us, and we won't serve reheated quiche. Luckily, the other breakfasts were on the 'cook to order' side so no waste there.
I'll say 'don't take it personally'.

we try to eliminate that by letting people know when they arrive that if they see something on the breakfast borad that doesn't interest them or if they will not be joining us for breakfast, please let us know. notice i said we TRY ...doesn't always work but we've only had a couple times where the people did not let us know ahead. usually people have been really good about it.

We had a drive up "Can we just have breakfast?" (Yes, $99 for two!)
Edited to say, that was a "No!" but it was a fun thought!

"Can we just have breakfast?" Sure, in my spare time I run a restaurant.

"Can we just have breakfast?" Sure, in my spare time I run a restaurant..
SweetiePie said:
Because of our corner location we get that a few times in the summer. The dining room overlooks the main street in town so people walk by and see our guests eating and they stop in. I wish I could serve them. We usually have a little bit leftover and it would be better to make some money on it than toss it!

"Can we just have breakfast?" Sure, in my spare time I run a restaurant..
SweetiePie said:
Because of our corner location we get that a few times in the summer. The dining room overlooks the main street in town so people walk by and see our guests eating and they stop in. I wish I could serve them. We usually have a little bit leftover and it would be better to make some money on it than toss it!
I wished I could serve BF to regulars too. I have thought about it since all it takes is a food service permitt and remodel of my kitchen..haha
No breakfast, had them too...either they left at 6 AM or they eat very little. So they have a continental BF available. I appreciate it when gusts let me know that they will not be joining us for BF...ahh, sleeping in :)

The only time we've had people skip breakfast is when they were in a time crunch and didn't want to wait for it to be prepared, although we do try to be flexible if we know in advance.

Gosh, why stay at a motel when they can sleep in your comfy beds? I think the world is tired of motels.

Sometimes these trips are the only chance people get to sleep in and relax a little bit. You have made them very comfortable and they don't want to get out of that comfy bed, no matter how tempting the breakfast might be!

Sometimes these trips are the only chance people get to sleep in and relax a little bit. You have made them very comfortable and they don't want to get out of that comfy bed, no matter how tempting the breakfast might be!.
Tell me about it. It's 9 a.m. and we still have seen or heard from one remaining couple. Our other guests are up and gone. I don't think it's so much "frisky" as it is that they pulled an all-nighter with friends. z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z

We had a 'no breakfast' couple this last week and this was their 1st B&B experience. Well he told me first, I am a simple guy and simple eater - if I have breakfast just plain scramble & toast, she said I have my breakfast right here and held up her can of coke. They were my only guests so he just said - well you can just sleep in...no need to dirty a pan for me!
They left after their 3 days very happy with just experiencing the first B, and said that if they return to house hunt (wife was interviewing in area) they were sure staying here. Guess it is more than the 2nd B that brings them back (here).

Admin Note: I pulled the entire course of comments between Proud Texan and Bree at SeaShanty's request because it was a conversation about her that did not involve her.
On a further note....as a guide to getting along: I have been involved with forums of various types for a long time and one pattern I have found that always ends badly is when people express being offended on behalf of another person. It is one thing if a person expresses their own discomfort, anger, hurt feelings etc for themself...for that people can apologise or clarify a misunderstanding and move on. When a person though tries to feel these on behalf of another person, there is no way to get at what the true feelings are (because that person has not expressed them) and no real way to move on from it. So lets do our best to avoid hurt feelings by proxy.
embaressed_smile.gif

Admin Note: I pulled the entire course of comments between Proud Texan and Bree at SeaShanty's request because it was a conversation about her that did not involve her.
On a further note....as a guide to getting along: I have been involved with forums of various types for a long time and one pattern I have found that always ends badly is when people express being offended on behalf of another person. It is one thing if a person expresses their own discomfort, anger, hurt feelings etc for themself...for that people can apologise or clarify a misunderstanding and move on. When a person though tries to feel these on behalf of another person, there is no way to get at what the true feelings are (because that person has not expressed them) and no real way to move on from it. So lets do our best to avoid hurt feelings by proxy.
embaressed_smile.gif
My apologies.

Not that weird really. We have an option here called "mid week discount lodging" where the customer can get the room without breakfast at a reduced rate. Weekends and Holidays we only do the more upscale "gourmet package" which includes our signature 3 course breakfast by candlelight and complimentary wine. Midweek lodging is exclusive of anything other than lodging, but with a reduced rate. Works for me and many guests who come to this area to hike, bike or do water sports prefer to get up and outside rather than wait for breakfast at 9 that is often an hour and a half affair.

Back