Let's play 20 questions!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Guest emails each question individually, but only after you've answered her so you can't bunch the answers up into one email. Q1, A1; Q2, A2, on down the line. This goes on all morning. In the afternoon the email comes in that says, 'Thank you for all your help, I've booked elsewhere.'

Ooof, that hurts. That's even worse than when they play 20 questions on the phone but the last question they choose to ask is do you have any openings for xyz weekend and you are already filled. These things could save us so much more time if people would ask about availability first.

Ooof, that hurts. That's even worse than when they play 20 questions on the phone but the last question they choose to ask is do you have any openings for xyz weekend and you are already filled. These things could save us so much more time if people would ask about availability first..
swirt said:
These things could save us so much more time if people would ask about availability first.
Or told us they were bringing a dog. When I ask, 'How many in your party?' I immediately start narrowing down the rooms. So, '2,' means I have any room open. '2. Oh, and our 2 kids,' means I have 2 rooms open. '2. Oh and our 2 kids. Oh, and the dog,' means I have one room that might be available.
Did I tell about the woman who called with herself, husband, 2 kids, mother and dog? When she got to the end of the list I said, 'That does narrow it down quite a bit.' She replied, 'If you don't have room, I'll tell my mother to stay home.' Honey, it's the dog, not your mother!

After 20 emails, with the kind of guests I've been having lately, I would do a jig!! Just took another booking for next week which I am going to regret. It's really bad when I try to talk them into the big inn - unfortunately, they've stayed there and didn't like it.
Jeanne

Ooof, that hurts. That's even worse than when they play 20 questions on the phone but the last question they choose to ask is do you have any openings for xyz weekend and you are already filled. These things could save us so much more time if people would ask about availability first..
swirt said:
These things could save us so much more time if people would ask about availability first.
Or told us they were bringing a dog. When I ask, 'How many in your party?' I immediately start narrowing down the rooms. So, '2,' means I have any room open. '2. Oh, and our 2 kids,' means I have 2 rooms open. '2. Oh and our 2 kids. Oh, and the dog,' means I have one room that might be available.
Did I tell about the woman who called with herself, husband, 2 kids, mother and dog? When she got to the end of the list I said, 'That does narrow it down quite a bit.' She replied, 'If you don't have room, I'll tell my mother to stay home.' Honey, it's the dog, not your mother!
When I talked to guests on the phone, when I took their name, I then asked and who else will be traveling with you? They usually said "wife" or "girlfriend" something like that...so if they then said children, I immediately say..SORRY, we don't take children...Goodbye!

swirt said:
When I talked to guests on the phone, when I took their name, I then asked and who else will be traveling with you? They usually said "wife" or "girlfriend" something like that...so if they then said children, I immediately say..SORRY, we don't take children...Goodbye!
But I do take kids and pets (and mothers!). It just gets silly sometimes with how the guest keeps adding more people to the list as they go along.
Some of them: 'There are 2 of us. But, my brother and his wife are coming, too.'
Me: Do you want separate rooms?
Them: Of course we want separate rooms!

OK, Part II...another email this morning saying she would like to come and will call later to book. What? (But still more questions before she does so...)

I will confess. I had a guest like that this year and I was dreading her stay. Call after call. I think I mentioned her and how I just knew she would consume my every waking moment. She didn't. She was just one of those people, when she was here she had everything lined up in advance and never even needed directions. In fact, I actually really liked her.
That was a fluke tho, typically whatever you have on the phone you have amplified in person.

I will confess. I had a guest like that this year and I was dreading her stay. Call after call. I think I mentioned her and how I just knew she would consume my every waking moment. She didn't. She was just one of those people, when she was here she had everything lined up in advance and never even needed directions. In fact, I actually really liked her.
That was a fluke tho, typically whatever you have on the phone you have amplified in person..
I got the whole story when she called. A bit nervous, friend she always travels with just died, she needs to step out on her own and is scared to do it.

Back