Let's see what you think of this...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gee, poor Julian. He sounds like the kind of guest who isn't happy anywhere. Does he realize that hotels CHARGE big bucks (pounds, Euros) for any gizmos they let you use? And his idea of vacation is watching TV? Julian, it rains in the UK, you ought to be used to that by now. If not, go to Spain for your hols.

Gee, poor Julian. He sounds like the kind of guest who isn't happy anywhere. Does he realize that hotels CHARGE big bucks (pounds, Euros) for any gizmos they let you use? And his idea of vacation is watching TV? Julian, it rains in the UK, you ought to be used to that by now. If not, go to Spain for your hols..
Good grief...this guy doesn't have a clue about B & B's...well at least US ones. Maybe that is the case in Europe but I sure hope not.

Gee, poor Julian. He sounds like the kind of guest who isn't happy anywhere. Does he realize that hotels CHARGE big bucks (pounds, Euros) for any gizmos they let you use? And his idea of vacation is watching TV? Julian, it rains in the UK, you ought to be used to that by now. If not, go to Spain for your hols..
Wow, Julian had a really bad experience at a b&b, didn't he? Article is interesting in that it highlights the difference between b&b's in Europe versus the US, especially in terms of cost.

Wow, Julian had a really bad experience at a b&b, didn't he? Article is interesting in that it highlights the difference between b&b's in Europe versus the US, especially in terms of cost.
I think there are plenty of B&Bs in Europe that would be just as offended by the article (although I agree that generally the standards are lower than in the US). I posted the article on Twitter as well and there are plenty of people going mad about it!

I think there are plenty of B&Bs in Europe that would be just as offended by the article (although I agree that generally the standards are lower than in the US). I posted the article on Twitter as well and there are plenty of people going mad about it!
If you know a way of replying to Julian, i think he needs to have an education.

Oh no, I don't mean the standards, just the perception that a b&b will be less expensive than a hotel/motel. This has changed dramatically in Europe recently, but I think especially in some smaller areas you can still find smaller properties that will be less expensive than a hotel might be. In the US I would say the perception is that b&b's are always more expensive.

I don't think Julian gets out very much myself. Sounds like an armchair traveler full of fancy but not big on facts.
And, of course, when the facts couldn't possibly back up his perception, why would he include them?
Certainly doesn't lend a lot of credence to the site itself. IMHO.

I don't think Julian gets out very much myself. Sounds like an armchair traveler full of fancy but not big on facts.
And, of course, when the facts couldn't possibly back up his perception, why would he include them?
Certainly doesn't lend a lot of credence to the site itself. IMHO..
I don't think he's traveled in years judging by that article. It sounds more like he is writing about pensions or youth hostels, not B&Bs. That would have been true 20 years or more ago.
When I was growing up even the pensions were lovely to stay at. No, they didn't have TV but back then the hotels didn't etiher.
That article does not pertain to most of the Western World, in my experience.
RIki

Certainly doesn't lend a lot of credence to the site itself. IMHO..
I don't think he's traveled in years judging by that article. It sounds more like he is writing about pensions or youth hostels, not B&Bs. That would have been true 20 years or more ago.
When I was growing up even the pensions were lovely to stay at. No, they didn't have TV but back then the hotels didn't etiher.
RIki
egoodell said:
I'm not sure this article pertains to the Real World.

Unfortunately the Twitter people are most likely non B&B goers and after reading this article it will be really hard to get them to try a B&B. You put a magnifying glass on something that most of us (and others) would never have found/seen - imho!

What a poorly written article. This can not be a very widely read website. And this writer most likely has not traveled very far - where ever he is from.

He has written several critical articles for that same and similar sites...on Budget hotels, on B&b's, on all-inclusive resorts. He is one of those guys that sits at home, churning out content for a bunch of different worthless websites, getting paid by the word to fill web pages with worthless content. Most people who do this for a living, or for supplemental income have done nothing and been nowhere, and it shows in what they write.

Unfortunately the Twitter people are most likely non B&B goers and after reading this article it will be really hard to get them to try a B&B. You put a magnifying glass on something that most of us (and others) would never have found/seen - imho!
Actually most of the people who picked up on it on Twitter were B&B owners who were even more outraged than yourselves! Some of them wrote comments too but none of them seem to have been approved yet...!

I wish I was going to the UK instead of Provence now! Very nice! Know of any good B&B's in Provence or close by?
Here are a couple:
Domaine de la Fosse in Arles http://www.bedandbreakfastworld.com/france/arles/domaine-de-la-fosse/34342
Villa de l'Arc in Orange http://www.bedandbreakfastworld.com/france/orange/villa-de-l-arc/29004
Photos aren't great but you can still see they're nice places!

Back