Let's talk lactose

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
I am sure we have mentioned this before, but greek yoghurt has virtually no lactose due to the whey being processed out of it. It does have some, but not much. But because it has already been process, the real issue with being "unable to process the lactose" is not a problem for most lactose "intolerant" people.
You can look it up and see all the articles about it.
So if you have a guest who says "lactose intolerant" it may be worth educating them on greek yogurt vs reg yogurt. Will they believe you? Probably not, just accuse you of feeding them lactose.
thumbs_up.gif

Active bacteria is also important. The higher the active bacteria the lower the lactose. Essentially, the bacteria digests a lot of the lactose.
Then again, around here, I can get almond milk and coconut milk yogurt :)

I have mentioned several different things to guests who sigh that they can no longer eat (fill in the blank). They look at me like I just pulled a very important rug out from under their ability to hold other people hostage to their 'diet'. Caffeine - I've explained how to decaf a tea bag when sighed at because we didn't have x tea in decaf. Weird mouth from fresh pineapple - nuke it for 5 seconds to kill the enzyme that causes the itchy throat.
Haven't brought up yogurt because if someone is certain it's going to make them sick it will.
This past week has been one of 'surprise' food issues. We've made a different starter for guests who said 'no sweets like muffins or sugary breads' only to have them say they'll eat what everyone else is having because 'it looks so good!'
Today I had one dance around what her food issue is by asking 4 different ways what we have for breakfast. Lady, just tell me what you can't eat instead of trying to plan everyone else's food. If you can't have it you'll get something else.

I have mentioned several different things to guests who sigh that they can no longer eat (fill in the blank). They look at me like I just pulled a very important rug out from under their ability to hold other people hostage to their 'diet'. Caffeine - I've explained how to decaf a tea bag when sighed at because we didn't have x tea in decaf. Weird mouth from fresh pineapple - nuke it for 5 seconds to kill the enzyme that causes the itchy throat.
Haven't brought up yogurt because if someone is certain it's going to make them sick it will.
This past week has been one of 'surprise' food issues. We've made a different starter for guests who said 'no sweets like muffins or sugary breads' only to have them say they'll eat what everyone else is having because 'it looks so good!'
Today I had one dance around what her food issue is by asking 4 different ways what we have for breakfast. Lady, just tell me what you can't eat instead of trying to plan everyone else's food. If you can't have it you'll get something else..
My friends specifically tell people if it is not a medical necessity and ....just a "I don't eat it" .... they won't make something different. They have cereal, yogurt, fresh fruit etc. So they can eat that.

This was written in the dietary restrictions section of their online reservation:
"I appreciate that you use locally produced dairy, but I am somewhat lactose intolerant. I can eat dairy, just in moderation. Please plan our breakfasts accordingly."
They just checked out and it wasn't a big deal adjusting things for her, but it's kinda nervy, don't you think? The last sentence is what got me!

This was written in the dietary restrictions section of their online reservation:
"I appreciate that you use locally produced dairy, but I am somewhat lactose intolerant. I can eat dairy, just in moderation. Please plan our breakfasts accordingly."
They just checked out and it wasn't a big deal adjusting things for her, but it's kinda nervy, don't you think? The last sentence is what got me!.
They think we put milk in the scrambled eggs, so even if you tell them you don't they won't touch them. Act like we are trying to not meet their needs. Funny part is the entire HOUSE (other than coffee cream) has been lactose intolerant along with this one person. But they wanted to remind us AGAIN that she cannot have lactose.

I just had one leave that was Vegan. When the rez was made, the lady gingerly asked if there would be a problem because her friend was Vegan. Nope, no problem. Baked oatmeal! I used to be able to get soy yogurt at the snooty grocery store down the road but they did not have ant. So we make a trip up to university city figuring diversity heaven would have it for certain. I could not believe it - I could not find ANY yogurt that did not have milk! I ended up buying a half gallon of vanilla almond coconut milk. She did not use any on her oatmeal but DFID need it for her coffee. Wish they would package it in smaller sized!!
Thanks for the heads-up JB re the Greek yogurt. I will remember that for my next lactose guest.

They just checked out and it wasn't a big deal adjusting things for her, but it's kinda nervy, don't you think? The last sentence is what got me!.
Breakfast Nemo said:
They just checked out and it wasn't a big deal adjusting things for her, but it's kinda nervy, don't you think? The last sentence is what got me!
It is the nervy thing isn't it? Like you are running some sort of spa retreat where everyone pays $1000/night and there's a chef and gets to eat what they want. (Except when they pay to be told they get carrot juice and they like it or they can leave.)
I really can't stress enough about the dietary crap. We ask on the phone, it's in the confirmation to tell us if they didn't already, it's online when you make your rez (a separate line item even, along with another 'please tell us below' notice) AND we ask at the door.
If it comes morning and I didn't know, well, YES, I'm going to act peeved. Because now you've just thrown off a sort of well-oiled machine. And it's a TINY kitchen. There is no 'back up' fridge with lots of food we're trying to hide from you.

Breakfast Nemo said:
It is the nervy thing isn't it? Like you are running some sort of spa retreat where everyone pays $1000/night and there's a chef and gets to eat what they want. (Except when they pay to be told they get carrot juice and they like it or they can leave.)
I really can't stress enough about the dietary crap. We ask on the phone, it's in the confirmation to tell us if they didn't already, it's online when you make your rez (a separate line item even, along with another 'please tell us below' notice) AND we ask at the door.
If it comes morning and I didn't know, well, YES, I'm going to act peeved. Because now you've just thrown off a sort of well-oiled machine. And it's a TINY kitchen. There is no 'back up' fridge with lots of food we're trying to hide from you.
Any way to have a MANDATORY Special Dietary Needs check box / or text box they MUST fill in BEFORE a reservation is accepted????

Today I had one dance around what her food issue is by asking 4 different ways what we have for breakfast. Lady, just tell me what you can't eat instead of trying to plan everyone else's food. If you can't have it you'll get something else..
How do I decaf a teabag? Would love to know. Thanks
Madeleine said:
Today I had one dance around what her food issue is by asking 4 different ways what we have for breakfast. Lady, just tell me what you can't eat instead of trying to plan everyone else's food. If you can't have it you'll get something else.

How do I decaf a teabag? Would love to know. Thanks
Madeleine said:
Decaf a caffeinated teabag - pour your hot water over the teabag, full cup of water. Let teabag soak for 20 seconds. Dump water. Use same teabag with new water. Ta da.

For the second day in a row I spent extensive time discussing food restrictions with a guest. First day guest told me there was no problem at all with anything I served. When I served breakfast she graciously looked at me and said, 'Oh, I don't eat breakfast.' She was lucky she wasn't wearing it. Neither of them mentioned that the guy was lactose intolerant until actually pressed when there was hemming and hawing and umming going on as I was asking if there was anything we should know about.
Next day I go over an odd bit info we were given in the online rez. Get that all cleared up, ask if there's anything else we need know. Nope, nothing. Serve breakfast this morning. 'Oh, I can't eat that.'
Very luckily, it's slow here so I have time to catch my breath and relax.

For the second day in a row I spent extensive time discussing food restrictions with a guest. First day guest told me there was no problem at all with anything I served. When I served breakfast she graciously looked at me and said, 'Oh, I don't eat breakfast.' She was lucky she wasn't wearing it. Neither of them mentioned that the guy was lactose intolerant until actually pressed when there was hemming and hawing and umming going on as I was asking if there was anything we should know about.
Next day I go over an odd bit info we were given in the online rez. Get that all cleared up, ask if there's anything else we need know. Nope, nothing. Serve breakfast this morning. 'Oh, I can't eat that.'
Very luckily, it's slow here so I have time to catch my breath and relax..
Madeleine said:
People are crazy. If a person has a difficult or life threatening alergy, you'd think he or she would be responsible to take care of it. I put out peanut butter. I would expect anyone with peanut issues to either avoid the peanut butter, or let me know in advance that they can't be in the room with nuts. Most muffin recipes call for nuts. I'd think the alergic person would think enought to mention it.
I realize I'm wrong based on notes on menus and the postings here. But you'd think......

Madeleine said:
People are crazy. If a person has a difficult or life threatening alergy, you'd think he or she would be responsible to take care of it. I put out peanut butter. I would expect anyone with peanut issues to either avoid the peanut butter, or let me know in advance that they can't be in the room with nuts. Most muffin recipes call for nuts. I'd think the alergic person would think enought to mention it.
I realize I'm wrong based on notes on menus and the postings here. But you'd think......
Better even still was that I told them everything that was in the breakfast BEFORE we made it because the guest has some odd allergies. Not unheard of but sneaky odd allergies to additives that you wouldn't expect to find in a lot of foods but there they are.
I brought over the plates for the other guests at the table and she asked me to leave out one of the main ingredients on hers. AFTER it was completely made and I was merely going back to the kitchen to get the other plates.
The time to say that is when I tell you the ingredients before going to the kitchen to tell DH what to make.

Oh brother..about that time I would have wanted to scream something vile at them!!!Sorry folks..that's all we have ...you either eat it or not. Breakfast is complimentary. We are not a restaurant and don't have a pantry full of supplies to make something else for you. GRRRRR. I feel your pain Maddie!

I had a gal grill me to the Nth degree one afternoon when they checked in about the following morning's breakfast. After describing what I was going to be making, she asked if I would make her 'just plain oatmeal' -with water, no milk, sugar, fruit, etc. OK, I said. Nevermind that I had 9 other guests to cook for.
Fast forward to next morning. Put the oatmeal infront of her while other guests were served the entree. If she ate half a spoonful, I'd be surprised!! Look, lady, you could have just as well not eaten what the other guests were eating rather than make me go to all the trouble to make you something special that you had no intention of eating anyway! SHEESH!! What is it with some people?!

I had a gal grill me to the Nth degree one afternoon when they checked in about the following morning's breakfast. After describing what I was going to be making, she asked if I would make her 'just plain oatmeal' -with water, no milk, sugar, fruit, etc. OK, I said. Nevermind that I had 9 other guests to cook for.
Fast forward to next morning. Put the oatmeal infront of her while other guests were served the entree. If she ate half a spoonful, I'd be surprised!! Look, lady, you could have just as well not eaten what the other guests were eating rather than make me go to all the trouble to make you something special that you had no intention of eating anyway! SHEESH!! What is it with some people?!.
quaker-oats.jpg

Put a spoonful in your mouth, take a sip of hot water, gargle... voila, oatmeal!

My MOB (as in married to, not as in mother of the bride) today virtually ate nothing. One person ate the the bacon and left everything else untouched, the rest ate one bite maybe two. Same breakfast people go nuts over, I think they were all hung over.
Want an early breakfast only to not eat it, yeah makes alotta sense people.

I just had one leave that was Vegan. When the rez was made, the lady gingerly asked if there would be a problem because her friend was Vegan. Nope, no problem. Baked oatmeal! I used to be able to get soy yogurt at the snooty grocery store down the road but they did not have ant. So we make a trip up to university city figuring diversity heaven would have it for certain. I could not believe it - I could not find ANY yogurt that did not have milk! I ended up buying a half gallon of vanilla almond coconut milk. She did not use any on her oatmeal but DFID need it for her coffee. Wish they would package it in smaller sized!!
Thanks for the heads-up JB re the Greek yogurt. I will remember that for my next lactose guest..
Most of the flavored creamers are lactose free too...just check the label. They work for me and I am sensitive to lactose.

Thanks for the heads-up JB re the Greek yogurt. I will remember that for my next lactose guest..
Most of the flavored creamers are lactose free too...just check the label. They work for me and I am sensitive to lactose.
This one was not lactose - she was vegan

Back