Let's talk motivation

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
How do you stay motivated to do the things that need doing but there's really no deadline? (ie- it's easy for me to clean rooms, they have to be done by a certain time; getting my marketing brochure done- still not even started)
What tricks do you use to keep you focused and not just sitting in front of the computer waiting for someone to post something you can respond to instead of doing your 'job'? I have had to start going to the library to focus on another project I'm doing, but I can't do inn work there (not so hot internet connection, which makes it perfect).
What's your one best tip?

I give myself a reward when I complete something. My own internal bonus system.
I review my list every morning with my coffee and I set up 3 things I want to do before a certain time. When I get those completed I get chocolate. Or a glass of wine.
Sure, I could cheat and just have the chocolate anytime. But I was raised with entirely too much guilt for that.
So I check off my list and in my head I'm thinking, YES! One more thing to do until wine-thirty starts!!!

Its a difficult thing isn't it? The computer is like a black hole where time does not exist and is all encompassing. When the draw is too strong, I have been known to shut down the system until I have accomplished everything I need to get done.
Sometimes you just have to go cold turkey.
Stand up and step away from the computer. Do not look back.

HaHaHa - mine is my DH always lighting the match on my
potty-mouth.gif
to finish.
Just turned the match on him last week and he finally (with my help of course) retiled 3 guest room floors. We had the ceramic tile for 2-3 years waiting on the motivation to do them when we were slow. Oh, and they look beautiful!!!
Now I must light the match and make my mayhaw jelly... my motivation being that I am on my last jar now and my repeat guests next week have 'demanded' it!

potty-mouth.gif
to finish.
Just turned the match on him last week and he finally (with my help of course) retiled 3 guest room floors. We had the ceramic tile for 2-3 years waiting on the motivation to do them when we were slow. Oh, and they look beautiful!!!
Now I must light the match and make my mayhaw jelly... my motivation being that I am on my last jar now and my repeat guests next week have 'demanded' it!.
copperhead said:
Cool.

Like you - NO problem when it's rooms, laundry, ironing etc etc. They have to get done and I'll just steamroll my way though. My problem is when I'm only semi-busy. I can make the same damn things last 10 times as long. Then I'll think of things to do, and not remember the things that really need doing ....... and putz around and have a break and then get PO'd thinking of all the things I could have got done while I was having that break ..... and by the end of day I feel like I've worked all day and accomplished nothing, so what was the point in the first place.
SO:
I have TWO best tips.
A double sided list. One side is all those stupid little things that could be done so easily, but somehow never do get done. The other side is the big projects that WILL take some time, look too overwhelming and so get sidelined - again and again and again. Everyday, do at least one thing from the easy list (ie don't go to bed until that door knob screw has been tightened - you'll find that once that screwdriver is in your hand, you'll finish a couple more things off your list because it's easier than putting it away again) and do some more work on one of the big projects.
When you take time off - take it off. No guilt trips. I "rest easier" when I accomplished things.
OK - here's the caveat .... I believe absolutely in the above and when I'm following my own advice I'm a much more relaxed person ..... but you also know that I'm very bad at following my own advice
embaressed_smile.gif

potty-mouth.gif
to finish.
Now I must light the match and make my mayhaw jelly... my motivation being that I am on my last jar now and my repeat guests next week have 'demanded' it!.
Sidetrack...I LOVE Mayhaw Jelly. Had it for the first time when I moved here even though both sides of my family are Southern!

I'm trying a new tactic for this with rewards like ITG suggests when I get a small project done. Small things, nothing big. I'm on a health kick so chocolate and wine are out. I'm using stuff like a new pair of Summer sandals (check out SwitchFlops, btw), earrings, pedicure, etc. Treats just for ME!
My biggest hurdle was to give up trying to motivate OTHERS. I found that I got really discouraged and depressed when I wasn't getting help with projects. I just gave up! So, now I'm just tackling just what I can with lists similar to UK Maineac. Short term easy projects and then major things. Smaller projects are re-organizing closets, painting our bathroom, organizing the rest of the B&B stuff, etc. Some of the major things include more insulation in our big attic, enlarging our outdoor living area by screening our side porch and adding a deck,...stuff like that...which will require hiring people and dinero.
Shutting down the computer is the easiest way to get things done on a daily basis. :)

Thanks all. We went out today and sat down away from the inn. No phones, no distractions and we got the basic layout of the rack card laid out on paper. No I need to edit it down to manageable bites. We had a trifold before and it's like moving from a 6000 sq ft house to a 2000 sq ft house! Edit, edit, edit!
Rewards don't work for me. Never have. I'm not that kind of personality. I've tried, tho. 'Just do that one project and then you can have this.' The other side of the brain says, 'I think I'll have this first and then work on that one project.'
I'm good with lists. I like lists. I like crossing stuff off.
I've read the articles on how the internet is causing brains to start working in short bursts with no staying power. My problem is I have always been like that and now I have something that feeds that attention disorder! It used to be reading. Or watching TV. Or talking on the phone. Anything to not do whatever the boring thing was.
And it's not just boring stuff. It's stuff I don't know how to do. I don't know where to start so I wander off to do something else. Like right now...Cash Cab is on...gotta go...

Thanks all. We went out today and sat down away from the inn. No phones, no distractions and we got the basic layout of the rack card laid out on paper. No I need to edit it down to manageable bites. We had a trifold before and it's like moving from a 6000 sq ft house to a 2000 sq ft house! Edit, edit, edit!
Rewards don't work for me. Never have. I'm not that kind of personality. I've tried, tho. 'Just do that one project and then you can have this.' The other side of the brain says, 'I think I'll have this first and then work on that one project.'
I've read the articles on how the internet is causing brains to start working in short bursts with no staying power. My problem is I have always been like that and now I have something that feeds that attention disorder! It used to be reading. Or watching TV. Or talking on the phone. Anything to not do whatever the boring thing was.
And it's not just boring stuff. It's stuff I don't know how to do. I don't know where to start so I wander off to do something else. Like right now...Cash Cab is on...gotta go....
ROFLMAO (OK more like a quiet titter).... I'm stripping and redoing the beds NOW because cash cab is on and I can watch while I "work" .... gotta go ....

I'm trying a new tactic for this with rewards like ITG suggests when I get a small project done. Small things, nothing big. I'm on a health kick so chocolate and wine are out. I'm using stuff like a new pair of Summer sandals (check out SwitchFlops, btw), earrings, pedicure, etc. Treats just for ME!
My biggest hurdle was to give up trying to motivate OTHERS. I found that I got really discouraged and depressed when I wasn't getting help with projects. I just gave up! So, now I'm just tackling just what I can with lists similar to UK Maineac. Short term easy projects and then major things. Smaller projects are re-organizing closets, painting our bathroom, organizing the rest of the B&B stuff, etc. Some of the major things include more insulation in our big attic, enlarging our outdoor living area by screening our side porch and adding a deck,...stuff like that...which will require hiring people and dinero.
Shutting down the computer is the easiest way to get things done on a daily basis. :).
Samster said:
I'm on a health kick so chocolate and wine are out.
What? I thought Chocolate and wine were essential food groups. I've got to get a new food pyramid one of these days.

Shutting down the computer is the easiest way to get things done on a daily basis. :).
Samster said:
What? I thought Chocolate and wine were essential food groups. I've got to get a new food pyramid one of these days.
Innkeeper To Go said:
Samster said:
And I have read that wine IS healthy! And chocolate - especially dark chocolate is a good stress reliever. (Of course, if we keep reading we can find a way that almost anything is 'good for you ' in some way)
poke.gif

potty-mouth.gif
to finish.
Sidetrack...I LOVE Mayhaw Jelly. Had it for the first time when I moved here even though both sides of my family are Southern!
Samster said:
I will try to remember that as it looks like we may be headed your way in the near future (so if my menory holds I will bring you some). My neice (that lives in town near you) just got engaged and wedding plans are being made!

Oh you over achiever you
regular_smile.gif
.... seriously, I'm impressed. What is on your "small list" ie painting a bathroom, I would have on my "big list". My small list is those things that get by-passed when you're busy because they're not essential, but they add up and up and up ... doing a couple a day ... and INSISTING on one day means they don't get out of hand.

I try and set one task to do each day to get it off my list ie get any bits hanging round the car park into the car and then if I have more time get it to the tip and so on. trouble is as soon as I get one thing off my list two or three more pop up to go on the bottom!
I am however a bit of a list dork I am never happier than when I am making a list and as long as I get a few things crosses off I'm all set.

Samster said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
Samster said:
And I have read that wine IS healthy! And chocolate - especially dark chocolate is a good stress reliever. (Of course, if we keep reading we can find a way that almost anything is 'good for you ' in some way)
poke.gif

copperhead said:
poke.gif
Hey I'm married to a Frenchman. He thinks Hollandaise sauce is very healthy. It's all good.

You all are not the only ones with this problem.
I'm usualy a last minute thing.....I do prefer and enjoy when I am ahead of things.............oh so quickly we fall behind.

And it's not just boring stuff. It's stuff I don't know how to do. I don't know where to start so I wander off to do something else. Like right now...Cash Cab is on...gotta go....
ROFLMAO (OK more like a quiet titter).... I'm stripping and redoing the beds NOW because cash cab is on and I can watch while I "work" .... gotta go ....
UKMaineiac said:
You and I would rock on Cash Cab!

UKMaineiac said:
OK, I will be the opne to ask - What is Cash Cab other than a TV show....

UKMaineiac said:
gillumhouse said:
Glad I'm not the only one to have absolutely no idea what that's about.

Back